Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I can see from the pict is that a ring caught in the exhaust port. I have seen more than once,maybe less than a dozen times over the years. All but one was caused by the ring breaking then popping out into the port. I would like to know if this was one of the newer high tension rings as I have feared this would happen with them. High tensile metals are not the best when subjected to heat, softer cast iron is better in my opinion. We will likely never know what the ring material was in this case but I will still be on the fence concerning the high tension rings.

That's what I thought too.....ring catch...hard to beat good quality cast rings.....I've run quite a few variation of rings over the yrs haven't found any better than Haystings cast iron.....I tried Total Seal rings in my Panhead once......the directions warned about using to much oil for prelube....as these rings are supposed to break in almost instantly.....near dry is best....I followed them.....but due to increased compression blew a head gasket at an oil return hole. ...almost immediately...Big smoke....changed that out .....but that cyl never had any oil control....ran great all summer but going downhill she'd lay down a "Gentle Blue Haze" as and old friend of my father's used say about our '48 Studebaker Commander out on the island...LOL!!!

What I can see from the pict is that a ring caught in the exhaust port. I have seen more than once,maybe less than a dozen times over the years. All but one was caused by the ring breaking then popping out into the port. I would like to know if this was one of the newer high tension rings as I have feared this would happen with them. High tensile metals are not the best when subjected to heat, softer cast iron is better in my opinion. We will likely never know what the ring material was in this case but I will still be on the fence concerning the high tension rings.
No idea what the ring was ? Box don't say ?

That's what I thought too.....ring catch...hard to beat good quality cast rings.....I've run quite a few variation of rings over the yrs haven't found any better than Haystings cast iron.....I tried Total Seal rings in my Panhead once......the directions warned about using to much oil for prelube....as these rings are supposed to break in almost instantly.....near dry is best....I followed them.....but due to increased compression blew a head gasket at an oil return hole. ...almost immediately...Big smoke....changed that out .....but that cyl never had any oil control....ran great all summer but going downhill she'd lay down a "Gentle Blue Haze" as and old friend of my father's used say about our '48 Studebaker Commander out on the island...LOL!!!

Where this cylinder was not opened up on the exhaust port I would think there is little else that could cause a ring to catch at that point in the cylinder, the ring had to break and pop out. If it had been widened then there is a possibility, seen that just once on a 394 I did,the ring broke and I blamed it on the port being too wide, but maybe not. The ring was a new OEM 394 ring and the saw had less than two tanks of fuel through it.

Definitely a ring break, but where the cylinder was a used one that didn`t catch a ring before then I dont think it just caught a ring on the port edge this time around. I don`t put a very wide bevel on my ports but shape the exhaust roof for tucking the ring in.

I just cleaned the jug and put a new piston in . Ran a good bit before it did that . Just not sure why the ring broke ? Filter was real dirty , lots of chips in there . Told him to clean them dang things ! LOL Put a new air filter in it this time .
Dirty as the saw was , it has been ran a lot !

I just cleaned the jug and put a new piston in . Ran a good bit before it did that . Just not sure why the ring broke ? Filter was real dirty , lots of chips in there . Told him to clean them dang things ! LOL Put a new air filter in it this time .
Dirty as the saw was , it has been ran a lot !

Top of the exhaust port was still ok?

Bump...firewood all stacked......going after another load......
Am I doing it wrong?
4954ed061d5a7a11d370341cf9f8240b.jpg

Little over a half cord of red oak there. Neighbor smiled real big and I noticed smoke out of their chimney in short order after dropping that load off. [emoji2]

Am I doing it wrong?

Little over a half cord of red oak there. Neighbor smiled real big and I noticed smoke out of their chimney in short order after dropping that load off. [emoji2]

Only thing betterer would be a dump truck load, the smile on their face and the appreciation in their eyes is more than worth the effort. When I managed to get the first load to my long time friend this fall he was as depressed as I had ever seen him, not one burnable stick of wood in his yard. Had even cut up the 12 hardwood pallets I had given him last year to pile his wood up on. The surprise look on his face was priceless when I walked through his door and asked, can you use a load of wood. Now 5 cords later he is set for this winter.

Am I doing it wrong?

Hey Jimmy........my Cheby does this too!!! The last load off the lot this afternoon......good honest half cord of very wet red oak.......This is the last of an 11 cord pile....bought 8 cord......guess I gotts ta pay for tree more cord....but it's ovah!!!!........for now.....didn't get the tractor off the lot.....pick that up tomorrow night after work.....

Truck load of wood 003.JPG Truck load of wood 005.JPG Truck load of wood 006.JPG

Hey Jimmy........my Cheby does this too!!! The last load off the lot this afternoon......good honest half cord of very wet red oak.......This is the last of an 11 cord pile....bought 8 cord......guess I gotts ta pay for tree more cord....but it's ovah!!!!........for now.....didn't get the tractor off the lot.....pick that up tomorrow night after work.....

View attachment 388533 View attachment 388534 View attachment 388535
Mine has the 6.5' bed and I was genuinely surprised. We were stacking on 4x4 pallets and when one stack got high enough(3.5') we started on another. I couldn't believe we had that much in a regular box load. I was thinking a face cord at most. I do know the old girl was squatting pretty good and the E range tires were in "Holiday" mode....bulging out a bit!

Latest posts

Back