Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna have to splain how fer this dumb Slug to measure that ? LOL

The space between the side of the ring and the piston land/groove can be measured with a feeler gauge set if the gap is excessive. If you cannot get the thinnest feeler in between the two it is likely tight enough. A gap of .001 - .002 would be fine.

The space between the side of the ring and the piston land/groove can be measured with a feeler gauge set if the gap is excessive. If you cannot get the thinnest feeler in between the two it is likely tight enough. A gap of .001 - .002 would be fine.
I will find out on the next one , to late fer the last one . LOL

Not sure I could get a ring back on the piston , but I will see what I can do ?

No need to put the ring back on, just insert one side of the ring into the land/groove. See how tight it fits. I am just curious to see if there is room for ring flutter in them.

I see this when people fit 070 rings to a Contra piston, the 070 rings have .022" clearance in the Contra piston ring land!.......Not good!

I see this when people fit 070 rings to a Contra piston, the 070 rings have .022" clearance in the Contra piston ring land!.......Not good!

I am just being an armchair quarterback from here but that is one line of thought for me right now. Unexplained failures bug me til I figure out what happened, that is how I learned what little I know now, just need John to do the physical stuff fer me now.

Just checked it . Had to use a old OEM ring , but shouldn't matter ? It measured .007 ! The OEM piston I couldn't get the smallest gauge to go in there .
Think you found the problem !! Least a very good chance ! Could be something else caused it , but that is a lot of room to move !
I have 4 more Meteor pistons coming from Dave , I will be checking each one and all in the future !
I keep saying I have plenty more to learn ! LOL I am stihl very surprised it did that , just never heard of a Meteor going bad in any way ? Even seriously hard used ones !

We would really need the ring that broke to measure and know for sure, the difference between the regular cast iron Caber rings and the newer high tension Caber rings are the other possibility. Sure would like to know those two things before I can settle this in my own mind.

Just checked it . Had to use a old OEM ring , but shouldn't matter ? It measured .007 ! The OEM piston I couldn't get the smallest gauge to go in there .
Think you found the problem !! Least a very good chance ! Could be something else caused it , but that is a lot of room to move !
I have 4 more Meteor pistons coming from Dave , I will be checking each one and all in the future !
I keep saying I have plenty more to learn ! LOL I am stihl very surprised it did that , just never heard of a Meteor going bad in any way ? Even seriously hard used ones !

Let us know the ring end gap when you fit the rings to the new pistons.

Latest posts

Back