Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put vaseline in the ones out in unheated storage sheds, prevents the aluminum from corroding and sticking to the brass socket threads. Never tried ,Never Seize, should work as long as it just stays on the threads.

I put vaseline in the ones out in unheated storage sheds, prevents the aluminum from corroding and sticking to the brass socket threads. Never tried ,Never Seize, should work as long as it just stays on the threads.

How about wax from a toilet ring?
I got them hanging around to lube long construction screws.
Maybe ??

Don`t know what we would do without it around the salt water ecpecially steel bolts in aluminum components, they just don`t get along well. I wait til my outboards are just past warranty and pull all the bolts to coat the threads with Never Seize. I can take every bolt back out from engines 20 years old or older without breaking one off, I did every accessible bolt on a 1979 Mercury I bought new, no problem removing them til this day.

How about wax from a toilet ring?
I got them hanging around to lube long construction screws.
Maybe ??

Bees wax will hang around a long time and can stand a good bit of heat, toilet ring wax might just be a cleaner fix than Never Seize for that application. Try a couple and see how it works out, can`t see any problems using it.

Don`t know what we would do without it around the salt water ecpecially steel bolts in aluminum components, they just don`t get along well. I wait til my outboards are just past warranty and pull all the bolts to coat the threads with Never Seize. I can take every bolt back out from engines 20 years old or older without breaking one off, I did every accessible bolt on a 1979 Mercury I bought new, no problem removing them til this day.

Definitely....I do the same thing...except anything I get , warranty is not an issue.....I don't buy used saltwater outboards...always go upstate for fresh water units.....then do the same thing as you. Last saltwater outboard I got was a 55 hoss Johnson.....I snapped off every 3/8" SS bolt that held the lower unit on having to replace the water pump.....fortunately they all snapped up near the head so once it was separated was able to get on them with vicegrips, weasel pizz and a little heat from the inside and got them all out...on about half of them the threads came too but the holes were deep enough to retap with a bottoming tap and use longer SS bolts....slathered with neverseize....

I'm a firm believer in the "the sneeze", I use it religiously. Electric connections get the dielectric grease.

i
Definitely....I do the same thing...except anything I get , warranty is not an issue.....I don't buy used saltwater outboards...always go upstate for fresh water units.....then do the same thing as you. Last saltwater outboard I got was a 55 hoss Johnson.....I snapped off every 3/8" SS bolt that held the lower unit on having to replace the water pump.....fortunately they all snapped up near the head so once it was separated was able to get on them with vicegrips, weasel pizz and a little heat from the inside and got them all out...on about half of them the threads came too but the holes were deep enough to retap with a bottoming tap and use longer SS bolts....slathered with neverseize....

I do run my outboards in salt water but they get flushed after every use, religiously, saves them a good bit if salt water is not left in them just sitting around. When I was very young all the engines used in the salt were just crusty with white death and rusted bolts, if they broke very little could be done for them. Metallurgy has come a long way and the anodes attached to today`s engines help a lot. A good friend and I bought 25 hp Suzuki two strokes the same week from our local dealer, after 4 years his blew a headgasket, used in the salt and never flushed. I broke 3 cylinderhead bolts taking off the head so I center drilled them and loaded the holes with acetone /trans fluid mix for the 15 days it took the head gaskets to get here, two of the broke offs backed out after I welded a nut to the bolt stub, the last one I had to drill out and it broke free just before I cut through the steel and hit the aluminum, backed the casing out with picks and didn`t harm the threads on any of them, lucky that time.Ran a chaser in all of the thread bores and loaded the new stainless screws with NS. Those screws will always come out again but the rest of em likely will not, especially the exhaust side cover bolts. Had the lower unit and powerhead bolts out and they got the same treatment.

Latest posts

Back