Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to try cutting the rest of the powerline right of way out today. Have to look at Paul`s house roof first, got a leak over the front entrance foyer, likely around one of the 3 dormers that sit above it.

If you didn't get the powerline cut let me know , I've got some 16" maple logs if you want to tune in the 440 .
I did get the mill set up today .

AYQ75vd7ujfYP0VXNWsKaBrQY6wsGqazUslZVP1-Y0k=w1223-h917-no

A bit of a learning curve till I can cut efficiently LOL

If you didn't get the powerline cut let me know , I've got some 16" maple logs if you want to tune in the 440 .

Mill is looking good! I saved you a couple of good spruce logs today back on the cut. Didn`t run the 440 today, didn`t want to get it dirty but did run the 362 most of the time felling and for some bigger hardwood bucking, very nice smooth saw! The 026 Mighty Mouse did the rest of the duty!!

Years ago, before our state government in their wisdom, closed all of our rural rail system, there was a set of stock yards about every 15 to 20 miles along the line, each set of yards had these Locust trees planted in and around them, Its the only place I can recall seeing these trees in Oz...........Regardless, its all gone now, trees, yards, rail, jobs, the lot!:(
I hate to hear stories like that...I've got too many of my own...a lot of the simpler, good things in my region have gone the way of the Dodo bird...:cry:

I'll put up some pics as I go scallywag but I'm just a hack , I've played a bit with a SMG Champion sawmill that belongs to a friend , the log dog system on it is way better than mine so I polly will fab somting up for mine .
It's only 6.5 hp but I'll take this over chainsaw milling LOL

I'll put up some pics as I go scallywag but I'm just a hack , I've played a bit with a SMG Champion sawmill that belongs to a friend , the log dog system on it is way better than mine so I polly will fab somting up for mine .
It's only 6.5 hp but I'll take this over chainsaw milling LOL

Cam dogs, best I have seen and worked with so far.

Yup , trying to LOL
Got plenty to cut , I've got enough to have a GTG as long as it's 16" cookies , even have a few splitters that peoples can run :)

If you guys are gonna have a gtg let me know :) I'll try to make it up haha.

Went up to yogi bear camp ground this weekend. There are some GIANT trees up that way. All through kingston.

A friend had one of those......a bigger one..had an 18 hoss Briggs......he couldn't cut fer ****.....all his lumber resembled lasagna noodles....he whined so hard I said I'd help him a couple days if he, in turn would help me in my mill for like hours......we fussed with that thing for two days....different tensions...tooth set everything I could think of....never got any better.....In the end I believe it was him more than the machine....manual walking feed and he was a large, heavy handed type...couldn't "feel" what the saw was doing....tended to crowd it harder in a knot rather than let it feed at it own rate thus causing deflection of the cutting edge.......you know the type...same guy that will lean on a chainsaw and lug it down way below optimum cutting speed....consistently...no matter the size or power of the saw.....

When you simplify any process the human has to make up the difference with feel and smarts...the learning curve is where the human comes in...machine can't learn so you have to. You'll do fine Danny...... listen to the tone of the motor and the sing of the blade...try to keep it all consistent.......sharp is very important with a band mill and you don't get many feet of lumber between sharpenings....keep your logs clean.....hose em down if you have water nearby that will help a lot too.....

I worked him two days in my mill.....we put up 4200BFT....of nice square, straight lumber...he didn't ask for any more help.....LOL!!!

Yup , trying to LOL
Got plenty to cut , I've got enough to have a GTG as long as it's 16" cookies , even have a few splitters that peoples can run :)

If I get the roof finished this week at the camp I will have more time to run chainsaws soon. I have enough saws to outfit 50 users and still have a spare for everyone....LOL
Who wants to run the 090 with a 72" bar....LOL

Latest posts

Back