Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That`s a good looking engine, not totally caked in leaked oil or other fluids, the frost plugs so clean they look like new.

Yes it was a "dry" engine....a very even accumulation of grim all over.....I don't know, but I have a good "feeling" about this one. I almost hate to open it up, but I'll pull the base off and plasti-gauge the bearings and probably install a new high volume oil pump as these motors are known for having weak oil pressure when hot......check the timing chain/sprockets for wear and install new front and rear main seals, timing cover and base gaskets. The manifolds have to swap from the old engine as well as the cast alum valve cover......probably do valve seals too while I have it apart and retorque the cyl head bolts.

Not going to go on about this but drained the oil and popped the valve cover this morning........OH MY!!!! You could not even get your finger dirty on the head or valve train....this is the cleanest 40 year old motor I've ever seen inside!!! No black goo down in the little pockets that will hold just a little oil....forever.....nothing......unreal....I'm knew this one "felt good". This has had very good care with frequent oil changes and good oil I would have to say. No sign of any previous cleaning anywhere. It's almost to good to put in that miserable device......LOL!!! Woot Woot!!:laughing:

PICT0167.JPG PICT0169.JPG PICT0170.JPG PICT0171.JPG PICT0173.JPG PICT0175.JPG

Only way to know exactly what you got, I often did that to lightly used engines I bought that I wanted to last a longer time and it worked well for me. Many of my friends did not share that line of thought and would just toss them in and run em.

I once found a Chev 292 still sitting in a truck, it had been a local Dartmouth service truck that showed 15,320 on the speedometer. The truck had been smashed bad by a backhoe backing into the front of the truck, it mashed the grille and bumper right in to the engine block, split the rad basically in two. Insurance company figured the engine was ruined and wrote the truck off. I bought it, took a chance the engine was not damaged and got the whole thing for $500. back then, the engine went on for another 15 years in the transplanted truck and then did service in a Cape Islander for another five seasons.

Well......todays efforts on the 4.2L were not quite as favorable as hoped.....the crank assembly seemed pretty tight but as I rotated it through with a wrench on the harmonic balancer bolt I noticed that though smooth the first two exhaust lobes of the cam were much shorter than all the rest...:(.....been doing cam research most of the afternoon.

Well......todays efforts on the 4.2L were not quite as favorable as hoped.....the crank assembly seemed pretty tight but as I rotated it through with a wrench on the harmonic balancer bolt I noticed that though smooth the first two exhaust lobes of the cam were much shorter than all the rest...:(.....been doing cam research most of the afternoon.

Bummer Dude.......

Looked so dang good to start with ! Never heard of any cam problems with them .

Dang, that engine does not have inspection covers over the lifter gallery, need to pull the head off to get the cam out.

IMG_20160816_183032.jpg

Latest posts

Back