Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang, that engine does not have inspection covers over the lifter gallery, need to pull the head off to get the cam out.

I know.......however if I pull the rockers and push rods, then take the cam out, I may be able to get the lifters out from the bottom.....but at this stage pulling the head is not a biggie either. I suspect it would run OK but from rudimentary measuring , it looks like it has lost over 1/8" of lift on those two lobes. This is why I don't just slap a used motor in a vehicle.......you gotta look at and touch all the bits to make sure all is well.......or not.....bores and pistons looked good.....be checking the bearings tomorrow....cam, lifters and timing chain set is in the $200 range from Summit Racing....waiting to hear back from them.......some confusion in their adds as to whether or not you have to run special valve springs to run a .416 lift cam......stock lift is .380.....

I know.......however if I pull the rockers and push rods, then take the cam out, I may be able to get the lifters out from the bottom.....but at this stage pulling the head is not a biggie either. I suspect it would run OK but from rudimentary measuring , it looks like it has lost over 1/8" of lift on those two lobes. This is why I don't just slap a used motor in a vehicle.......you gotta look at and touch all the bits to make sure all is well.......or not.....bores and pistons looked good.....be checking the bearings tomorrow....cam, lifters and timing chain set is in the $200 range from Summit Racing....waiting to hear back from them.......some confusion in their adds as to whether or not you have to run special valve springs to run a .416 lift cam......stock lift is .380.....

Machine tools are worse. Got to check every thread in the quick change. And unbuilding one can get tricky. Lol

Mushroomed lifters and worn down cams were a Chev small block thing years back, did many and some were cause for air turning blue. If the cam could be wiggled out the lifters could be bashed back down into the cam galley.

So here are the numbers and pics from #1 cyl.....

The cam measures 1.473" at rest and that seems to be the consistent size + or - 0.0001".
So these measurements are through the first three cyls.

#1 cyl
Ex lobe at rest 1.473"
Ex lobe full open 1.583"

So that gives a cam lift of 0.o11"

The first pic is of the ex lobe, the one on the right, at full lift. The lobe on the right. The one on the left is the at rest.
PICT0177.JPG

That lobe is plum wore off!

Yep......but you know I took a file to the worn lobes thinking they were soft.......couldn't touch it.......just as hard as the good lobes.
Mushroomed lifters and worn down cams were a Chev small block thing years back, did many and some were cause for air turning blue. If the cam could be wiggled out the lifters could be bashed back down into the cam galley.

Yep.....well ya know......this is a 1977 motor and that was about the same time GM had all those problems.......I 'spect probably the same cam manufacturer......as things like cams are subbed out....

Back