Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut with that red saw for a whole day, dropping hardwood off the stump, probably dropped 20+ trees and did some limning. Was a fiercly cold winters day, temp well below freezing all day. Saw performed flawlessly and had 5 + tanks of mix through er, cutting speed reminded me of my ported 044`s which I used almost every day that winter. Ended up with 167 cords of cut up firewood or 35 tandem loads of split firewood from that winters work . Was real nice tall sticks, 16 - 24 " on the stump and over 50' tall to the top off point where the limbs got too small to save.
Also, the ice was over 4' thick that winter, could run the skidder right across the lake.

Oh yeah.....my friend Mikey is a dyd in the wool Stihl guy......but I had about 20 hard woods leaning the wrong way....across the neighbors road/power line.....so Mikey cut with my 61/268 and I ran the tractor pulling a long line up in the trees to guide them back onto my property....Mikely is not likely to complement any saws that are not creamsickles...but even he conceded that that particular saw cut "pretty damn good".....LOL!!

Oh yeah.....my friend Mikey is a dyd in the wool Stihl guy......but I had about 20 hard woods leaning the wrong way....across the neighbors road/power line.....so Mikey cut with my 61/268 and I ran the tractor pulling a long line up in the trees to guide them back onto my property....Mikely is not likely to complement any saws that are not creamsickles...but even he conceded that that particular saw cut "pretty damn good".....LOL!!

Mikey calls it like it is.
Prolly doesn't know who the Kardasians are.

Thank the Lord for the Mikey's of the world.

An up date on the 670 Jerry left me......been working this a bit over in the Jonsereds thread and looking at a 266 that I'm rebuilding for a guy, along with some 268XP cyls and 670 cyls I have here. It seems that what Jerry built out of the box of parts actually has a later version of the Husky 266 cyl. No wonder he liked it so much!!! LOL!!!

A good running saw is a good running saw......I'll try it out.....but I gotts the stuffs...she may return to being a 670 Supah.....or may stay the way it is. Might well be one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" things.

An up date on the 670 Jerry left me......been working this a bit over in the Jonsereds thread and looking at a 266 that I'm rebuilding for a guy, along with some 268XP cyls and 670 cyls I have here. It seems that what Jerry built out of the box of parts actually has a later version of the Husky 266 cyl. No wonder he liked it so much!!! LOL!!!

A good running saw is a good running saw......I'll try it out.....but I gotts the stuffs...she may return to being a 670 Supah.....or may stay the way it is. Might well be one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" things.
On the road delivering peaches again. Lol
Sounds like a nice saw

If you have the correct parts there is no shame in making it a correct authentic saw. I just picked the better/best parts from that box of stuff and put together 3 running saws. I didn`t have any manuals telling me what the proper numbers should be, just picked a part and see if it would bolt on......LOL

If you have the correct parts there is no shame in making it a correct authentic saw. I just picked the better/best parts from that box of stuff and put together 3 running saws. I didn`t have any manuals telling me what the proper numbers should be, just picked a part and see if it would bolt on......LOL

Well that's the beauty of this large family of red and orange saws...from the lowly 61 up through the red 6XX saws to the 272XP everything can be swapped if you have enough of the corresponding parts.......in almost every instance several items must be swapped at once but they will all bolt to the same basic structure.

Had a good visit with Jerry and his wife Judy yesterday......he left off a red saw.....a 1986 670 but from what I've been able to uncover it has a 268XP top end with 237 Tilly carb from a 625 with the top fed impulse cover changed over to one for the internal impulse. He said it ran good.....haven't had time to throw a B&C on it and fuel it up. Personally I like the solid carb mount instead of the boot design of the 625/670...otherwise the 268XP and the 670 are nearly the same powerwise. Great runners!! Thank Jerry!!!
Mistimed my visit. Would have been nice to meet ya Jerry!!

Mistimed my visit. Would have been nice to meet ya Jerry!!

Would have been great Rob if the timing had worked for us both. Initially I was just making the trip alone but the Mrs thought she would like to make the trip with me, that delayed me one week and extended the trip to 3 days. I would have drove straight down alone, exchanged niceties, gifts etc, picked up my part and then headed straight back home. 20 - 24 hour drives are old hat for me. Under favorable conditions a round trip for me would only be around 15 hrs total.

Well that's the beauty of this large family of red and orange saws...from the lowly 61 up through the red 6XX saws to the 272XP everything can be swapped if you have enough of the corresponding parts.......in almost every instance several items must be swapped at once but they will all bolt to the same basic structure.

All of the Red saws are now gone, only one orange saw left hiding somewhere in the storage sheds leaving only creamsicles filling the shelves for work saws. Now collector saws is a different story all together.....LOL

Latest posts

Back