Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was coming off the trees pretty good this afternoon. But I'm pretty lucky....very few evergreen on my woodlot and the hardwoods don't hold nearly as much snow. Quite windy, about 10 degrees and sunny. I got out three rounded buckets of standing dead ash this afternoon but then rocked my saw and said to heck with it.....'bout 3 pm then and the sun getting low.... temp dropping. Carry just about a foot of wood per bucket load, so not to bad felling, splitting, loading, forwarding out to the shop and stacking. Working alone no rush.....nice in the woods as long as you kept moving......coldest was the tractor ride out....

Better days coming, too cold and much snow still clinging to the trees here, dang snow falling off on ya when cutting is no fun at all. Get some wind soon and the snow will be on the ground, less on me..

The rollercoaster continues.......cold this morning but steadily rising all day....then rain/wind tonight/Wed......then rain Thurs.....Fri 'spose to be 46 degrees and sunny...Woot!! Way better than 0.....but the old up and is killer......rough going in the woods...no snow to fill in the low spots....bottom of low spots still not frozen.......came real close to getting stuck last Sun in a low spot.......broke through the ice/snow...instant mud.....didn't struggle....but slowly backed out of it......if I'd struggled I'd still be there...messy.

The rollercoaster continues.......cold this morning but steadily rising all day....then rain/wind tonight/Wed......then rain Thurs.....Fri 'spose to be 46 degrees and sunny...Woot!! Way better than 0.....but the old up and is killer......rough going in the woods...no snow to fill in the low spots....bottom of low spots still not frozen.......came real close to getting stuck last Sun in a low spot.......broke through the ice/snow...instant mud.....didn't struggle....but slowly backed out of it......if I'd struggled I'd still be there...messy.
Yah....gotta know when to gun it and when to take your time!
Hello Brothers'! Plenty of snow here! Rain on the way! Should be interesting!

Got the whole day in today on the tractor shed....started out at 8 above and ended at 33 above.....was welcome change to work without gloves for a while. Worked until darkness drove us.......went up to feed, water and put Hoss in for the night......back to the shop, shoveled out the ashes from Free Flow.....then it started to rain/snow...pretty hard....gonna rain/snow and blow hard tonight they say......gusts to 55 mph they're guessing.....shop day tomorrow!!!

Got the whole day in today on the tractor shed....started out at 8 above and ended at 33 above.....was welcome change to work without gloves for a while. Worked until darkness drove us.......went up to feed, water and put Hoss in for the night......back to the shop, shoveled out the ashes from Free Flow.....then it started to rain/snow...pretty hard....gonna rain/snow and blow hard tonight they say......gusts to 55 mph they're guessing.....shop day tomorrow!!!
Some serious wind ! Blowing hard here now , but not that hard !

Thanks Robin! I was very surprised how quickly the ice covered roads went from hard slick ice to mush in about two hours, by noon time the gravel was poking up through it everywhere and what ice was left was mostly mushy, good traction actually.

Like Danny says......"See I'm nice"".......LOL!! Enjoy.......we got two more daze of it here......we'll be sending the rest along.....nearly all grass here...hope it doesn't go mud....!!

So.......ordered some parts for a client's saw today.....fuel tank, trigger etc. Then, looking for something to accomplish, I settled on Lincoln's 490 I built last fall but have not liked the way it ran. Pulled it apart and pressure/vac tested it.......passed with flying colors......no leaks anywhere......I had rebuilt the carb and it sat in the UC for quite a spell.......strange little carbs......the kit I had for it didn't seem to have all the parts in it......I think this is the problem.....so I put another carb on it and a new plug but it was raining to hard to test this afternoon......we'll see.....my other 490 as a benchmark this one has to at least run, idle and perform as well......and actually with new ring, muffler opened up and squish set it should perform better not worse...

I have a bunch of the similar saws, Partner 500 and 5000 saws, they all seemed to work really well but of course I had to try and take them further with port work. I fitted one up with a Stihl 028 piston that increased the compression to 250 psi, that saw is a real nice runner now.

Yeah I was sorely tempted to grind on this one when I had it all apart for new seals and new top end.....but then decided, considering where it's going and who will be using it and the work it will be doing to leave it pretty stock......just over bored the holes in the baffle and deleted the cyl base gasket with a new Caber ring. It ran strong enough just idled oddly and not stable. The last time I took it to the woods even the bride said "What wrong with your saw??.... it sounds funny"......that's when I shut it off......it seemed to be leaning out......but when I pulled the muffler to do the pressure/vac tests there was much, much more soot in the screen, muffler and ex port than I would ever expect with maybe two running hours on this saw using Ultra @ 50:1.....plug was pretty dark to.......but it had a weird looking Autolite plug...skinny, tiny little electrode.....new...but not normal looking like a regular CJ7/8Y or WS7/8F.....bought a new plug yesterday. Later today or perhaps tomorrow I'll get it going again with the new plug and carb.... see what happens.

I would also be very suspicious of the carb also, sometimes no amount of cleaning will restore them. There are passages in them that stuff gets in and it won`t come out without pressing out bits or pulling the welch plugs.

Latest posts

Back