Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would also be very suspicious of the carb also, sometimes no amount of cleaning will restore them. There are passages in them that stuff gets in and it won`t come out without pressing out bits or pulling the welch plugs.

True......that was my thought too.....it was a pretty low hour ebay saw with a roached P&C so it had had had issues earlier.....may have still had them. Was happy to find it held pressure and vac nicely.......so it's not the new seals, cyl base gasket delete or the usual intake rubber band an/or impulse grommet leaking......all that stuff's new too.....doesn't leave much but the carb and way out of heat range plug........

Will try that saw later this morning......was gonna fire it last night but by the time I got done work, fed and put Hoss away and made it back to the shop quite a safety meeting was already in progress.......no sawing to be done then...plain to see...LOL!!
Gotta run and get a load of hay and grain for Hoss first thing.....hopefully it will have warmed up a tad....6 degrees 'Merican right now....be nice in the woods around 15.....clear and sunny!!

Good day in the woods today, hope you get there and run that saw, should behave much better now.

Did you ever figure out what was going on with that one I gave you? I just remembered thinking back to when I first got that saw to repair a busted recoil housing. The saw was hydrolocked, I am thinking the case gasket between the crankcase and oil tank might be a leaker.

Good day in the woods today, hope you get there and run that saw, should behave much better now.

Did you ever figure out what was going on with that one I gave you? I just remembered thinking back to when I first got that saw to repair a busted recoil housing. The saw was hydrolocked, I am thinking the case gasket between the crankcase and oil tank might be a leaker.

Actually I use it once in a while but so far have had it give me any trouble that way......starts right up....and runs good....the only problem I've had is it doesn't want to idle for long periods....it'll idle along fine then just stop......I think I'm a bit rich on the low side.....I've found the carbs on these saws a bit more sensitive than most......but I haven't experienced the hydro lok thing so far.....and it may sit a couple months between usage...

Both that 590 and the 490 I'm working on for Lincoln leak bar oil rather badly when sitting.....my other 490 is dry as a bone when sitting???? Gotta try and figger out why...

The guy that owned it broke two recoils, said it pulled over way too hard, I replaced both at different times and the saw always sat for extended periods of time as he hardly ever used a saw. He finally gave me the saw when he moved from the country into the city where he would never use a saw again. I might have put a tank of fuel through it once and at that time it worked very well but it got pushed far back behind all of the other saws here and never got started again, just taking up space. Even though more than 20 saws have left here in the last year or so there are still far too many taking up space....LOL

No idea on the bar oil leaks but should be easily trackable, only so many sources.

The guy that owned it broke two recoils, said it pulled over way too hard, I replaced both at different times and the saw always sat for extended periods of time as he hardly ever used a saw. He finally gave me the saw when he moved from the country into the city where he would never use a saw again. I might have put a tank of fuel through it once and at that time it worked very well but it got pushed far back behind all of the other saws here and never got started again, just taking up space. Even though more than 20 saws have left here in the last year or so there are still far too many taking up space....LOL

No idea on the bar oil leaks but should be easily trackable, only so many sources.

I'm sure eventually I'll have to deal with what evah the problem is......but for now, running it every month or two it's fine.

Lincoln's 490 performed perfectly today!!! Woot Woot!!! Got it ready......pulled three times off a dry carb and fuel line and it was running......!!! Tweaked the low side a tad and set the idle.........ran it through a half cord of 6-10 dry ash....running a 16" Winsor...0.058 X 3/8" chipper chan....set it on the ground and it idled perfectly.....indefinitely.....way better than before. The carb I put on, I didn't even kit it....just checked the fuel pump flappers were flat and bolted it up. Changed the plug too......had a really weird Autolite plug.....couldn't lay hands on a Bosch WS7F as called for so used a new Champion CJ7Y like all Jonsereds call for........ran like a freekin top!!! Not positive which made the difference now......I hate to, but now I gotta trade it for years and years worth of free bugs, fresh Halibut and ocean scallops...as the season dictates.......Linc is a good boy......he'll treat me good on this one......it pulls better than my stock one that I really like.....back to the drawing board on that...LOL!! When set up right these are very good runners...both my 490s came with near new 3/8" chipper chains......not my favorite......I believe they would do way better still with .325 chisel.....................stihl chain.......HSSSSSSSssssssss........but true......quick saws needs quick chain.....success through patience.......!!!

The running great at WOT and having good power but won`t idle long or steady are often symptoms of stiff or bent fuel diaphragm flaps, the tan colored one in the new kits seem to work better than the black rubberized one or the blue plastic film type ones do. I have fixed carbs that were doing as you said, run good at speed but stop at idle by using the Tan colored pump piece, the blue one wouldn`t hardly run the saw at idle.

The running great at WOT and having good power but won`t idle long or steady are often symptoms of stiff or bent fuel diaphragm flaps, the tan colored one in the new kits seem to work better than the black rubberized one or the blue plastic film type ones do. I have fixed carbs that were doing as you said, run good at speed but stop at idle by using the Tan colored pump piece, the blue one wouldn`t hardly run the saw at idle.

Hmmm......good to know.....used the black rubberized one I think......always seems more "Normal" to me.......will look into that.......

Second afternoons work with Lincoln's 490......getting better.....got out 4 rounded loads which is a half cord......fit, split and ready for the stove......some of the uglier pieces being consumed as I type.......pretty wood goes in the pretty stove at home......ugly wood goes in the Free Flow.

Saw ran perfect....had to tweak the carb just a tad today.......just the usual as the new ring gains a seat.....minor mods seem to be of benefit......fast and strong lil' saw.....good grunt.......'specially considering a 49cc saw running a 3/8" chippah chain......probably change it over to .325 full chisel for a little bit, just to see what that's like....very nice saw now that it's running good.......Linc will get the 2/8" bar and neare new chippah chain........he don't care.....this saw going to ride in his FWD to clear blowdowns going 'round the island.....Linc knows just how many bud lites it takes to go 'round the island.....said he was getting tired of clearing the road with his 2071...'specially near the end of the ride.......no cops on the island.....max speed is 40 mph on the paved town roads...which are about 1/3 of the total roads......the rest more like 6 mph...and this is where the blowdowns are......Linc in a good boy.....real nice guy.....stepson to my old friend John who just married my cousin.....'membah the Llama in the lobsta boat boat pics?

Nice..... Linc is a Jonsereds guy......of course John is Stihl guy.......got an OH 75!!!!!!

The Partner 500 and 5000`s I have in multiples all run .325 Stihl chisel chain, bout all I run since I used up all of the other makes of chain I had in .325. I have a bucket half full of ,063 ga that I now have no bars fore, sold some saws and let all the .063 bars go on them, had a full 5 gal bucket of those sharpened one time chains I got from the rental saw place, right some good deal on them, yesssiree ole Biscuit would like them deals!

The Partner 500 and 5000`s I have in multiples all run .325 Stihl chisel chain, bout all I run since I used up all of the other makes of chain I had in .325. I have a bucket half full of ,063 ga that I now have no bars fore, sold some saws and let all the .063 bars go on them, had a full 5 gal bucket of those sharpened one time chains I got from the rental saw place, right some good deal on them, yesssiree ole Biscuit would like them deals!

I'm gritting my teeth right now.......

20170115_143504_HDR.jpg

FlippyCap rescue from the bottom page 2 !

Good Save Danny!!! A little bit of yesterday afternoon....nice day in the woods.....Lincoln's 490 did a good job....wilted ash and maple.....got out a half cord to the shop all stove ready......enjoyable afternoon...no rush....work just hard enough to stay warm....had some ugly wood in that batch.....to crooked to stack good...it went straight to the Free Flow.......no stacking.

Link's 490 003.JPG Link's 490 002.JPG Link's 490 005.JPG Link's 490 007.JPG

Latest posts

Back