Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen a few deer flies at the camp last weekend, mostly mid day Sunday when the temps reached low 80`s, very few blackflies, only near evening and the skeeters were no where to be seen or heard. I was running the chainsaw for hours cutting a trail over to the camp from the end of the vehicle traveled road. Should have stirred up more flies moving all that underbrush.

I have to go to work to do less work than when I am at my camp. Last couple of years work has been about all I do when up there, far too many years went by with little or no work being done up there, now a big rush to get it all done before I am too old to get er done....LOL

I have to go to work to do less work than when I am at my camp. Last couple of years work has been about all I do when up there, far too many years went by with little or no work being done up there, now a big rush to get it all done before I am too old to get er done....LOL

Yep .....that sounds like just about where I am too. Trying to accomplish one phase a year.....this year the plan is to replace all the water side windows, refasten the boarding and/or replace where needed, then cedar shingle that side. Have another copper job out there in a couple weeks......when I take all my equipment and supplies down on Lincoln's boat gonna take 6 4X6X12' PT timbers.....4 to replace the sills....two to act as skids to move the cabin it's length to a new spot. Good chance..... as I will have Steve's truck to commute to the job and to haul them down to the harbor.....won't have to sack them in my boat and then figger out to get them ashore. Starting now to gather/transport materials for that job which I will do in a year or two.....your camp sounds just about like being on an island......everything must be lugged several times to get it where you want it!!!

Yep .....that sounds like just about where I am too. Trying to accomplish one phase a year.....this year the plan is to replace all the water side windows, refasten the boarding and/or replace where needed, then cedar shingle that side. Have another copper job out there in a couple weeks......when I take all my equipment and supplies down on Lincoln's boat gonna take 6 4X6X12' PT timbers.....4 to replace the sills....two to act as skids to move the cabin it's length to a new spot. Good chance..... as I will have Steve's truck to commute to the job and to haul them down to the harbor.....won't have to sack them in my boat and then figger out to get them ashore. Starting now to gather/transport materials for that job which I will do in a year or two.....your camp sounds just about like being on an island......everything must be lugged several times to get it where you want it!!!

Ever since 1957 we have been boating/dragging/handling materials over and over to get them up to that camp. Was just like being on an island. Now there is a woods road that is within a quarter mile of my place, it is passable with a high clearance vehicle. It is the road I plan on taking the backhoe in on and I have cleared a trail over to my camp from the turnaround. It will require a bit of rock clearing and hollow infilling to make it even passable for the hoe but it will be made temporarily sufficient to get the hoe in and out. The land owner I will be crossing over has given me his blessings and told me to do whatever was necessary to get there and back.

Ever since 1957 we have been boating/dragging/handling materials over and over to get them up to that camp. Was just like being on an island. Now there is a woods road that is within a quarter mile of my place, it is passable with a high clearance vehicle. It is the road I plan on taking the backhoe in on and I have cleared a trail over to my camp from the turnaround. It will require a bit of rock clearing and hollow infilling to make it even passable for the hoe but it will be made temporarily sufficient to get the hoe in and out. The land owner I will be crossing over has given me his blessings and told me to do whatever was necessary to get there and back.

Sounds like a job worth doing......being able to drive there even if only with a FWD will be a great help........the road by my camp comes within 100' or so and the path is down hill to the camp so even that is helpful......

I think that would get you to camp OK Jerry!!!.......but I don't know as you need the backhoe for anything!!
Those trucks are real good in mud and gravel also ice and whatnot but we are a rock pile, not even those Ural trucks could traverse our terrain unless a hoe or excavator levels the surface up a bit. The rock ledges can swallow up a jeep in this country, luckily I only have to fill in two voids about 4 - 5' deep and 6 - 8 ' wide and then a few smaller ones a foot to 16" deep to get across the trail I made. Then the trench digging can begin.

Yeah, we know this guy, he has been around for a good period of time and has a very sorted history business wise. He tried his best to get me to set up his lumber mill and do a good bit of welding required around the mill but I knew better than get involved with him.

Looks like an old Dodge Power Wagon on steroids! lol Had a '58 in Ohio with a Chevy 327 in it!! Had a blast in it!!!

Those Ural trucks are about the toughest off roaders ever built, they cross Siberia where rivers are plentyful and bridges more than scarce. Water, mud,snow and ice are an everyday obstacle they drive through.

Looks like an old Dodge Power Wagon on steroids! lol Had a '58 in Ohio with a Chevy 327 in it!! Had a blast in it!!!
Sadly most of those old Power Wagons have rusted away up here, there were lots of them around in the 60`s on into the later 70`s but only a few that are kept inside full time are still in running condition. Had lots of fun in them old bone jarrers, tough yes but rust has its way with steel around here and rust always wins!

One of the nicest ones I have ever seen, unmolested all original survivor, never been painted,no restoration at all, only the wheels and tires replaced,

marcz-062417-49-1.jpg

marcz-062417-49-2.jpg

marcz-062417-49-4.jpg

Back