Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty that way now even.....lot of places "Closed For the Season".....we drove all the way out to Cape Race, the place where the world received the SOS from Titanic after hitting the iceburg. They are massively rebuilding the 25 mile dirt road out to the cape.......we made it out there about 3:00 pm and saw not one single other human. The eastern most point in North America....was awesome to be able to go there....the lighthouse was spectacular!! Still using the original hyper-radial (larger than 1st order) Fresnel lense ...installed in 1907...emits a million and a half candle power using a 400 watt bulb.....in clear weather can be seen for 50 miles...these were the most powerful lenses ever made....52" in diameter and 12' tall overall.....it rotates every 30 seconds floating on a flowing bed of mercury.....operates 24 hrs a day.....tried to get the wild sparkles coming from the hundred of prisms but was not very successful. Again not a soul around.....

Newfoundland 101.JPG Newfoundland 103.JPG Newfoundland 119.JPG Newfoundland 109.JPG Newfoundland 108.JPG

Few pics of a floating hotel, some oil rig supply and tow boats in St. Jonhs.......a staging supply dock and floating oil rig in for repairs in Bulls Bay NL....look closely at the pic of those spools......to the right a bit is a full sized road tractor......BIG spools.....make a hell of a out door picnic table!!!

Newfoundland 063.JPG Newfoundland 057.JPG Newfoundland 056.JPG Newfoundland 046.JPG Newfoundland 077.JPG Newfoundland 071.JPG

Cant get on other site...so here you go...

Took way too long but warped lumber is tough to work with. Happy with it though. Now for some walls.
e861a96346e7274a93b1f1eff86165e7.jpg
1461883f53525a558fd8fd69c7d1e627.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The 6' pony clamp and I were one today. Takes a bit to persuade warped lumber.... we got it though.

I also was told by a couple of people to put blocking in...glad I did. That has to be the most solid wooden floor I have felt in awhile.

Ohh yeah... 22 - 3/8 bolts installed in the skids. They are pulled up nice and tight.

Smoking over the ramp at this point. Want it solid.

The 6' pony clamp and I were one today. Takes a bit to persuade warped lumber.... we got it though.

I also was told by a couple of people to put blocking in...glad I did. That has to be the most solid wooden floor I have felt in awhile.

Ohh yeah... 22 - 3/8 bolts installed in the skids. They are pulled up nice and tight.

Smoking over the ramp at this point. Want it solid.

Fill it in.

Thinking 4x4-8 @ 12" OC with 2x6 decking. Possibly 4x4s 8" OC. I'd do solid 4x4s as I have them but they would be slick.

Cheep easy way to deal with that is......asphalt shingles or strips of rolled roofing nailed down tightly where you need traction. Used frequently on slipway ramps for when the tide is out and get very steep in my area.

Never seen spools that big before !!

LOL I know me either......I'll throw this one in too.....if you blow the pic up on your 'puter you might see it....there was a large backhoe working next to the spool but drove behind it and stopped....I want it in the pic for perspective......the loader arms are just sticking out on the left side and it was a really large 4wd hoe....not little!!! Another perspective is the telephone pole in the foreground......and it's not a wimpy, short pole either......AND we're looking down on it from a high hillside too!!

Newfoundland 078.JPG

LOL I know me either......I'll throw this one in too.....if you blow the pic up on your 'puter you might see it....there was a large backhoe working next to the spool but drove behind it and stopped....I want it in the pic for perspective......the loader arms are just sticking out on the left side and it was a really large 4wd hoe....not little!!! Another perspective is the telephone pole in the foreground......and it's not a wimpy, short pole either......AND we're looking down on it from a high hillside too!!

View attachment 603612
Thought it was piles of dirt in the back ground , but its piles of chain !!!

Latest posts

Back