Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought bout them being anchors after I posted that , but didn't know what they were for .

It takes a lot of work to anchor those rigs solidly, a crew of chain handlers are needed on separate ships to move and set/unset the anchors when a rig needs to be moved but the rig itself hauls in the chain once the anchors have been freed from the ocean floor. The rigs have massive chain lockers in the upright tubes on the rig`s corners and it takes real powerful winches to pull all that chain in and let it out. I have several links of that chain that were cut out of a chain to allow for length, each one weighs a hundred lbs.

It takes a lot of work to anchor those rigs solidly, a crew of chain handlers are needed on separate ships to move and set/unset the anchors when a rig needs to be moved but the rig itself hauls in the chain once the anchors have been freed from the ocean floor. The rigs have massive chain lockers in the upright tubes on the rig`s corners and it takes real powerful winches to pull all that chain in and let it out. I have several links of that chain that were cut out of a chain to allow for length, each one weighs a hundred lbs.

My buddy Mikey used to be chief engineer on a large tow boat like the ones in those pics.....worked the Gulf of Mexico and down the South American coast mostly...did it for many years....many wild stories...some funny...some haunting....once during a hurricane in the gulf they responded to an SOS.....took a shrimp oat in tow that was not doing well......got them almost to safety when the Coast Guard hailed them to evacuate a nearby oil rig.....they ordered the Morning Light to cast the shimp boat off and respond immediately ......Mikey said the shrimp boat was pleading and crying over the radio...for awhile....then silence....they didn't make it.....

Geeeze....'Nadains sure drive slow.......nobody even drives the speed limit......I passed a lot a cahrz yesterday........nevah exceeded the speed limit...

View attachment 603819
100 is the old slow on one hundred series highways, everyone now travels over 110 KMH, lot less than 100 MPH....LOL

The ocean is not a kind place to work upon, many days out there was like being in paradise but it can turn ugly very quickly and occasionally it will take lives. Even on the nicest of days it can sneak up and snuff you out, been there and came very close more than once, reason I turned my back to it and took up employment on terra firma.

Some really big stuff !! How they move that stuff around ? Gotta be something huge !!

Well I don't know how they get the spools there......ship I expect....just to damn big to go over the road. On the big tow boats they have a serious crane like on the Atlantic Osprey in the pics......on land they use a very large mobil crane on tracks....

Newfoundland 056.JPG Newfoundland 055.JPG Newfoundland 073.JPG Newfoundland 074.JPG

UBY6xKiamS2SWXQA1WhdSblbVnR6Chu0TT_uDIi0JteaxFYOfnVxnYW3L8Dh8msevxxu_6hRsBcQcgr3PSevlugVjRjxxRagtccQC5aJANDFeKQeBt1WmZ8qMNbTeLZPnC_VLY6ZdNTrFG80wa5istC5sNd3vP9VZXCRHWT_1iDaiY_nd8gh0H6bp2N0qXeNr2txeeoQ2_UbVPIRA4byLsJao_EE7eMbvsK1HRP8jAPieA7XBzLeKL7hi_QEBYff69rFAcB4W7SG9ozmEGE32qehznaCXUy2fivsPYMvQBFwnBlOwStXFjTFY8tHsAmzrGWGfdlEiAXd7ZqnSSdBUu0F4DJfmtzSeaOFYruZATeaQkJwnU8YtYGWRLDdZyljYEn7NqjZ_9A11RNOQTFdGFlmuIC18E3vb8rms5vMJl90ugivLeVQkmwEecwtudLr6gIOpV_9kbVYGXdpzwlUrTfZ9V4r6lTBhPlhi6zwpTq61KRoiT79FXXRPK797n06mAnrrzUqQ20QtCZGQyuHkOMo1A2_R67A7pirWAswYNMk7aMJCbF1xJpfJGUpTPTgYrm1DC5TPaypRuTKaP-R242yGcUZqmWZ0NG8KL81twgiuH9PR-lJXF2Oz0Uldy2jw563h8FnzMr8WB6K_hf9YCaeary26od9m_Fh=w1668-h938-no

Thanks Robin !

UBY6xKiamS2SWXQA1WhdSblbVnR6Chu0TT_uDIi0JteaxFYOfnVxnYW3L8Dh8msevxxu_6hRsBcQcgr3PSevlugVjRjxxRagtccQC5aJANDFeKQeBt1WmZ8qMNbTeLZPnC_VLY6ZdNTrFG80wa5istC5sNd3vP9VZXCRHWT_1iDaiY_nd8gh0H6bp2N0qXeNr2txeeoQ2_UbVPIRA4byLsJao_EE7eMbvsK1HRP8jAPieA7XBzLeKL7hi_QEBYff69rFAcB4W7SG9ozmEGE32qehznaCXUy2fivsPYMvQBFwnBlOwStXFjTFY8tHsAmzrGWGfdlEiAXd7ZqnSSdBUu0F4DJfmtzSeaOFYruZATeaQkJwnU8YtYGWRLDdZyljYEn7NqjZ_9A11RNOQTFdGFlmuIC18E3vb8rms5vMJl90ugivLeVQkmwEecwtudLr6gIOpV_9kbVYGXdpzwlUrTfZ9V4r6lTBhPlhi6zwpTq61KRoiT79FXXRPK797n06mAnrrzUqQ20QtCZGQyuHkOMo1A2_R67A7pirWAswYNMk7aMJCbF1xJpfJGUpTPTgYrm1DC5TPaypRuTKaP-R242yGcUZqmWZ0NG8KL81twgiuH9PR-lJXF2Oz0Uldy2jw563h8FnzMr8WB6K_hf9YCaeary26od9m_Fh=w1668-h938-no

Thanks Robin !

No problem Dan!! To bad the timing hadn't been better we could have had a "Safety Meeting" so we could have gone over the latest safety procedures.....but was stihl quite a ride over to Economy and our cabin, so we had to fly. I can't believe how easy it was to get to your shop.....light traffic and drove right to it....and just as easy leaving!!!

P.S. Oh yeah.....The Attendant was wondering how much you get a pound for your fish????

Keep that filthy thing far away from that nice clean oak, ok to sacrifice those pine scraps its sitting on....LOL

Actually that's cherry on the hosses.....a dovetailed tressel and two top side aprons for a table that needs to be finished SOON!! But I don't know......the guy said he wanted an oiled finish......I think he meant Watco not B&C oil.....LOL!! That old thing is pretty dry....it's either really tight or everything liquid has leaked away or evaporated. Looks to be in pretty good shape under the crud... good compression etc...LOL!!!

Back