Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
55 kit pix.

Attachments

• DSCN1906.JPG
    DSCN1906.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN1907.JPG
    DSCN1907.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN1908.JPG
    DSCN1908.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN1909.JPG
    DSCN1909.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN1910.JPG
    DSCN1910.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN1911.JPG
    DSCN1911.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN1913.JPG
    DSCN1913.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN1912.JPG
    DSCN1912.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 4
Jerry, did you ever play around with any of the big ford engines?

Note, I am a bit long winded here, I put a condensed version down at the bottom...

There are two engine builds I want to do someday. One is the 520ci BOSS nine stroker, the other is a 428 cobrajet. (find a set of heads, and build it up from a stroke and bored 390 truck block.)

Just wondering if you knew much about the big old fords, or if you know of any good books on engine building?

It will be a few years before I can really get started, but I figure it couldnt hurt to start learning now!

I know how to do the work (I can take apart and put back together an engine and still have it run)

But I dont know how to select cams or compression ratios or carb and exhaust sizes.

Seems as always I managed to drag it way out.....

Short version! Any recomendations on reading to do to learn engine design and building?

Jerry, did you ever play around with any of the big ford engines?

Note, I am a bit long winded here, I put a condensed version down at the bottom...

There are two engine builds I want to do someday. One is the 520ci BOSS nine stroker, the other is a 428 cobrajet. (find a set of heads, and build it up from a stroke and bored 390 truck block.)

Just wondering if you knew much about the big old fords, or if you know of any good books on engine building?

It will be a few years before I can really get started, but I figure it couldnt hurt to start learning now!

I know how to do the work (I can take apart and put back together an engine and still have it run)

But I dont know how to select cams or compression ratios or carb and exhaust sizes.

Short version! Any recomendations on reading to do to learn engine design and building?

I am starting to hate this site.......

Looks like we might need a 3rd one for when both of em are down?

I need to open these little farts up and see what is wrong. I get the feeling at least one was straight gassed.... I'm not sure though. If I can just clean these jugs up I'll just do that.

The Fords were not my forte,..they were my competition. I did build many of them back when the SCJ and Boss engines were considered strong engines. My engines were GM based big blocks but my small blocks were screamers also. Just that the quarter milers were dominated by big blocks. I was building hot small blocks in highschool and was constantly told that there was little to no gains to be made to big blocks. It was possible,..but it cost a lot of money and about all that was left of the original engine was the block, even that was modified. We were working mostly with high compression engines back then, no so today. A computer managed mild build engine of today could eat one of the best engines of that time. I was very happy to make 600 hp on pump gas back in the day, today with the engine management software available that engine would make 850+ hp on street pump gas. Couple that with the modern replacement cylinder heads, intake manifolds, injection and management system, stroked cranks, rods and pistons and it might put out a thousand horses. The last engine I built was a well thought out oldschool dual carbed and blown stroked g
GM bigblock. For a modern engine today I would not know the specifics of what to use, performance has passed me well by, Roush and then Banks has made huge improvements in modern engines.[/quote]

Latest posts

Back