surfed this up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen mountains of those things up on eBay. I'm surprised that enough people bought them to to make for such a used supply so many years later.

Anyone know what the point was? Making clean cuts in beams 'n things?

They were safer than the chainsaws of the day. NO KICKBACK EVER! Also you could fall on TOP of the saw while running and not cut yourself in half!

What's the point of using power tools without the risk of dismemberment or disembowlment? :p

Spreaderman, Measure the kerf your saw takes, then measure the thickness of your bar. A stuck chainsaw is harder to get out because the kerf is probably one and a half times the thickness of the bar and you have to drag that wide chain through an opening the thickness of the bar. The reciprocating saw blade takes a very narrow kerf relative to the blade thickness. maybe easier to remove from a piched limb but if there's a tree sitting on the blade that may be a different story. And I'm sure the blade is removeable.

I've got one of those! My Dad got the engine unstuck but it still needs a serious tune-up and cleanup before I can try to cut with it. My father-in-law said that when they first came out with them, they tried to sell them (and rent them) based on the fact that they were considerably safer than a chainsaw. I don't think they cut nearly as effectively as a chainsaw, but I think they were popular in the rental market.

A friend of mine said that he cut hundreds of hedge fence posts out in western Oklahoma with one of them. The biggest problem was when he got the blade deep into a green log the blade would sometimes snag and started throwing the saw back and forth. I think that would get my attention.

John C.

Back