Survey of how your sales are this year...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sales in 2008 as compared to previous years are...

• Sales better than average

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • Sales on par with previous years

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Sales slightly down from previous years

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Sales notably down from previous years

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sales are dismally low- I've never seen things so bad

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

arbor pro

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
There have been a few threads on the effects of the downturn in the economy but I thought it might be nice to do a simple poll on the subject.

So, how are your company's sales doing this year as compared to a 10-year average...

1) Sales better than average

2) Sales on par with previous years

3) Sales slightly down from previous years

4) Sales notably down from previous years

5) I've never seen things so bad - sales are dismally low

Thanks.

Last edited:
This is my third year doing tree work as a company. Other than a slower start compared to most, It's been going great since. Definetly a lot better than last year and the year before that.

sales are higher, but profit margins slimmer... overall i'm doing better with net profit income. but i chalk this up to moving from residential & commercial into large commercial accounts only (300+ trees per contract)

Up until maybe a month ago this was my worst year to boot... however now that the summer / weekend people are returning things are turning around and I'm doing quite a bit better. However I've also cut out any planting related work, along with lawn applications, and am not working in certain areas anymore.

The car repair world is slowing. More "have to have" repairs and a lot less "preventative maintenance".
I can't complain too much still turning 60-80 hours a week.

The firewood world is really slow for us in Knoxville TN. so warm here, winter has been so mild the past couple years not a lot of people buying wood. I hope that the cost of oil will drive more to burn this year. Our wood is starting to pile up.

I feel as though I have kept my ball rolling at a speed that suits me. I ain't broke and I ain't dead and ALL my jobs are worthy.
For some reason I just don't think measuring just sales is very indicative of how a business is doing overall and I think this poll is very vague. I don't see what it is that you want to find out with it.

Last edited:
I feel as though I have kept my ball rolling at a speed that suits me. I ain't broke and I ain't dead and ALL my jobs are worthy.
For some reason I just don't think measuring just sales is very indicative of how a business is doing overall and I think this poll is very vague. I don't see what it is that you want to find out with it.

If you don't like the thread, don't participate in it. It's just a poll - not scientific research.

My gross sales are increasing every month from previous years, but fuel and labor are so high that my net is less than previous years.

I've had a lot more price shoppers from the yellow page ads and lowballers and hacks are flooding the local market , I've had to drop my prices just to get any of the work.

I'm working more and harder, but making less proportionally.

Increasingly, the people around here aren't concerned with quality of work or even insurance, it's more about the bottom line low price.

The car repair world is slowing. More "have to have" repairs and a lot less "preventative maintenance".
I can't complain too much still turning 60-80 hours a week.

At our garage buisness is going great guns. Were not doing nearly the amount of oil changes that we use to in previous years, but since people are keeping there cars/trucks longer, were doing a ton of brake jobs and "have to" repairs.

Hmmm---I really like this poll and it's obvious, to me, what ap wants to find out with it. I will learn more about how everyone is doing out there as more people participate. I do question why car repair shops are weighing in here. I suppose if the poll is seeking a concensus from all business owners then that makes sense. I thought this was a tree business forum, though.

Mr Reach,Im sure if you would move to san francisco,your "gross" sales would triple.

thats exactly right.When I get rear ended,I turn into a hunka hunka burnin love.

I don't think we are in the same business. I cut trees for a living

But thanks for your advice, I can tell that you are sincere and speak with the voice of experience.

I do question why car repair shops are weighing in here.

I do both and I posted about both. No I am not full time tree service. I do however make part of my income from labor involved with the tree service/fire wood industry. I posted both aspects of my work just to give insight to how all jobs in the service industry are slowing a bit but that there is still profit to be made and all is not lost.

Its all good use the info if it helps if not it did not cost you a thing:)

Last edited:
Reach,my experience tells me that I along with lots of other good folks on here actually have a sense of humor,and your leaving me negative rep for every post I make just tells me you have the personality of a boar hog.Im not a professional tree trimmer,and there are lots of folks here that have forgot more about saws than I will ever know.I just enjoy saws and cuttin trees,and I like to learn more and pass along the skills I have learned when someone needs my help.And cuttin up sometimes sure aint never killed nobody.But if my post really bother you that bad,maybe put me on ignore?Seems pretty simple.

Hmmm---I really like this poll and it's obvious, to me, what ap wants to find out with it. I will learn more about how everyone is doing out there as more people participate. I do question why car repair shops are weighing in here. I suppose if the poll is seeking a concensus from all business owners then that makes sense. I thought this was a tree business forum, though.

Car reapair shops weighing in? My point exactly with this vague and obscure poll. Hey Ap, who do you think you are - Gallup? :)
I think this poll would be good to encourage mulch throwers, grass wackers and who knows who to say " HMMM? Maybe I ougta get into tree work."
Of course you have little idea of the demographics and the actuall people involved as well.
Sales? So you can sell a job. Can you get it done?

This is not the right place to state this but..,
I added up all my fuel recipts for the year so far, even gas used for personall things, it came to around 1700, that's about 70 bucks a week.
I am doing work at the proper price, I do the jobs effeciently Put , I have a lot of work to do... NICE!
I put a good amount of checks through the account and a good ammount of green backs in my pocket, True, it don't sstay long.
I measure my profits by still being able to roll the dice.

This is not the right place to state this but..,
I added up all my fuel recipts for the year so far, even gas used for personall things, it came to around 1700, that's about 70 bucks a week.
I am doing work at the proper price, I do the jobs effeciently Put , I have a lot of work to do... NICE!
I put a good amount of checks through the account and a good ammount of green backs in my pocket, True, it don't sstay long.
I measure my profits by still being able to roll the dice.

70 bucks a week wow:confused: are you using horse and buggy?
I spend that in one day on a slow one I have only been filling one
tank on my mack at a time and everytime its 177.00 then the bucket
180+ then the pickups 200+ that usually is my week and I don't go
anywhere unless it is job related.

70 bucks a week wow:confused: are you using horse and buggy?
I spend that in one day on a slow one I have only been filling one
tank on my mack at a time and everytime its 177.00 then the bucket
180+ then the pickups 200+ that usually is my week and I don't go
anywhere unless it is job related.

i was thinking the same exact thing... $70 a week this guy must be using a toyota prius. i have a ford ranger that pulls an empty 5x10 trailer for the tiny jobs and that drinks more than $70 a week.

Oh yeah, no joke, my friends. Going on three years running with this, pretty much alone, but I would never do it if I didn't know what I was doing.
I DO NOT run a Mack truck most certainly not, I upgraded my Awesome Toyotas to run with bigger iron and rubber.
I have to tell you though, I am a true slacker, I have less than 100 hours on the chipper and twice on the Dingo.

Back