suspenders...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl dealers around here have them. The shops that cater to loggers and pros usually have some with their own logo. Get the button type the clip ons you'll find dangling on your shoulder.

I'll second the button style. Often called risers vs suspenders for the clip type. I need to get a pair switched over from clip to button style. Anyone ever switched a set over?

Third!!!!! +3

I'll second the button style. Often called risers vs suspenders for the clip type. I need to get a pair switched over from clip to button style. Anyone ever switched a set over?

Buttons,,,, yep it is no problemo at all,,, Madsens sells the kits,,, its real easy,,

It does help to have a pair of britches with the buttons already to lay out as a guide,,,Thats how I did mine,,, I just eyeballed it and they came out pretty good,,,,,

They even throw in a few extra buttons in case ya mess up or lose one,,,, :rock:

Sorry,,, I see your talkin ab out the suspenders and not the britches!!!! MY BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
:blush: The most stylish and popular ones around here are the buckle ones. They are button on with buckles to adjust the length instead of those slidy adjuster things. They also have rings to attach items like whistles to. They are also the most costly. I'm short and once had a pair that were supposed to say Loggers World but all they said was Logg Wor because I had to shorten them. The button on ones are definitely the way to go and you can get the buttons to put on your pants too should they be without. Hmmm, this is a fashion discussion is it not? How come they don't make pastel suspenders? :)

:blush: The most stylish and popular ones around here are the buckle ones. They are button on with buckles to adjust the length instead of those slidy adjuster things. They also have rings to attach items like whistles to. They are also the most costly. I'm short and once had a pair that were supposed to say Loggers World but all they said was Logg Wor because I had to shorten them. The button on ones are definitely the way to go and you can get the buttons to put on your pants too should they be without. Hmmm, this is a fashion discussion is it not? How come they don't make pastel suspenders? :)

:ices_rofl: Pastel suspenders? Heresy! Plus I don't think I'd be brave enough to wear pastel suspenders to work. Or foolish enough. Pastel suspenders...geeeeeez. What next, color co-ordinated caulks and hickory shirts with decorative lace trim? White wall tires on the crummy? Group aerobics at lunch time and group hugs on bad days? No no no...pastel suspenders would just lead to a bunch of other foolishness.

Threw mine away years ago and went back to a belt after pickin' cedar saw dust outta my, well, everywhere, a few times. Up a tree I might be concerned with snagging them, the less chance there is of that the better I think, but thats just me. I like to wear my t-shirt out and if I had tighter pants I wouldn't need belt or suspenders, though I suppose suspenders do make one look more 'loggerish' :D

:cheers:

Serge

Last edited:
Threw mine away years ago and went back to a belt after pickin' cedar saw dust outta my, well, everywhere, a few times I like to wear my t-shirt out and if I had tighter pants I wouldn't need belt or suspenders, though I suppose suspenders do make one look more 'loggerish' :D

:cheers:

Serge

Me too, the buttons kept digging into me when I was climbing, I cut them off and now wear a leather belt, way better. I guess I am slim enough, but where do you put your whistle?

I like the suspenders, keeps the pants up better than a belt if you're bending over a lot. Don't get them too tight or you'll be singing tenor.

I also like that they work better with chaps. If I wear a belt the chap belt tends to get hung up with my leather belt and is uncomfortable.

:ices_rofl: Pastel suspenders? Heresy! Plus I don't think I'd be brave enough to wear pastel suspenders to work. Or foolish enough. Pastel suspenders...geeeeeez. What next, color co-ordinated caulks and hickory shirts with decorative lace trim? White wall tires on the crummy? Group aerobics at lunch time and group hugs on bad days? No no no...pastel suspenders would just lead to a bunch of other foolishness.

This sounds like a challenge. I'm thinking I'll have to find some white stretchy strapping and dye it. I'm thinking lavendar will coordinate well with my lavendar thermos. :D Maybe I'll have it ready for "The Winter Collection." Pastel suspenders will look nice with Tin Pants and will perhaps cause yet another discussion about Forest Fashions on the landing. Seriously, when I used to run saw a lot, suspenders seemed to take some of the strain off my back.

I had a pair I got in the army we used to hold up our wind pants mainly, but they finally wore out. KUNYs makes good suspenders here, the trick is finding a pair of button on ones, as the clip on ones are a PITA IMHO, they keep coming off the top of the pants. I did find a pair of button on ones at a safety place in Prince George, BC and ordered them on line.

http://www.kunysleather.com/products/detail002.asp?partNo=SP-35R

Last edited:

Yep, no biggie.
Remove the wire loop that holds the clip, and throw it away.
Take a strip of leather (about 4 oz.) cut to desired length, cut a button hole in each end and insert through suspenders.
Now for your Sunday go ta meetin suspenders you can sew a leather patch in a loop, and attach it to the wire that you threw away. Then take the leather strip that you cut the button holes in and fold it in half (length ways), and sew it up. Trim the ends of the strips to suit your taste, and you'll be looking spiffy.;)
I actually built a pair of leather suspenders once. Found out real quick why they use elastic.

Andy

I won't have to make any. I found these for $16.00 and will be testing the pink flamingos in button on.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-40801116004492_1954_2052185

Note: I hammered on some buttons the other morning. Got carried away and they made holes in my Carharts. One button fell off in a skyline corridor somewhere. Will go to town this weekend and purchase a different brand of buttons. And perhaps look for my hammer.

late to the meeting but dug this up as i'm now sporting suspenders from bailey's mounted to "wild ass" buttons also from there.

i lost some weight two years ago and have a bunch of oversized pants now. suspenders are great for that. and great with chaps.

now i have a question for you logger folks. seems that suspenders are _required_ on the west coast and not at all on the east coast*. is there a reason for the east/west difference other than tradition?

*evidenced by logging shows on the tv and by statements like this one from welch co.:
The Welch Company Inc. has been manufacturing suspenders in Portland, Oregon since 1967. Their suspenders are recognized for quality and reliability among the loggers and construction workers. Traditionally, anyone showing up to join a logging crew wearing a belt instead of suspenders was sent home as too green to work with the crew.

and i would have been wearing them sooner had i known about these buttons! you have to look for this stuff in the souf.

Last edited:
Back