Swapping unlimited ignition coil from 455 Rancher to 346xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyGun

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm awaiting a 346xp that I ordered from my dealer and am under the impression that all of them now have the limited coil. I have a 455 Rancher that will probably get moved to the back of the shelf once the 346xp gets here and it has the black ignition coil (unlimited I assume) part #544 04 70-03 is stamped on the coil, part#544 04 70-01 is the complete assembly.

Is it possible to swap the coils between the 2 saws? I obviously want something that will still allow the 455 Rancher to work, but have greater use for the unlimited coil in the 346xp. Any suggestions?

Well I'm not sure if they are identical because the 346xp isnt here yet, so I am kinda guessing at this point. I do know that the 455 rancher coil is black. I checked out my 1 year old 372xp and it has the blue coil. I figured since the 455 Rancher would never need the unlimited coil it would be a great one to swap out with the 346xp. I'm a total newbie to working on chainsaws so I was curious if any of you have tried this and if its a straight swap or if there is anything else involved. I had read somewhere on here that there could be timing differences when using a different coil? Also..... is there any advantage to swapping out the blue limited coil on my 372xp? The saw is stock right now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back