Swedish torch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tolman_paul

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
It's funny the things you come across when searching on the net. I'm building a groomer to tow behind my snowmachine (snowmobile for those down South :yoyo: ) and came across a youtube link of something called a Swedish torch.

It relates to chainsaws because you can easily make one by running two cuts down the top of a log. Place kindling on top and start a fire. The log will start burning from the inside with air fed through the slots and you can use it to put a pot or pan on for cooking. I tried it last night, and darned if the thing doesn't work slick as a whistle. I'm suprised they never discussed it in scouting. If you don't have a saw you can split a log with an axe or hatchet, and put the wedges together with a small gap between them.

pic_1741_2.jpg

Two cuts seemed to work fine on the one I tried last night. Finding dry tinder was the biggest challenge as it seems we've about two straight weeks of wet weather. It was after dinner so I just tossed it in the fireplace after getting it going.

Here's one I made about a month ago using a piece of cedar.
I ripped the log to make some noodles and stuffed em inside the cuts.
Worked real good - lasted over an hour !!

torch.jpg

Saw a similar thread last year on AS about this. Always wanted to try it. No time like the present!

They work great. Make about 4-6 cuts down the length and use some of the noodles to start the fire or just a squirt of charcoal starter/fire starter fluid right down the center and light. If the woods dry it will take right off.

I did one a few years ago. I bored all my cuts. 4 down from the top and 1 from the side.
The bore from the side released the core and added vents.

DSCN4085.jpg

Last edited:
I did one a few years ago. I bored all my cuts. 4 down from the top and 1 from the side.
The bore from the side released the core that I had and acted as a vent.

DSCN4085.jpg

Great picture with all the right stuff...Beer, Dog, warm fire and your woman beside you while telling stories. My kind of night!!

Last edited:
Have burnt a couple of these now, and have stockpiled a couple dried ones. Did get some good sized poplar to make some more, but its still a little wet.

Next is to try and get a couple ready so that all they will take is a match to start. So far, have been having to stuff them with noodles and adding a little diesel fuel to them to get them to light.

5b2007a0.jpg

58caff35.jpg

Any one ever try this with stumps?

Yes! Dig a 4' deep trench around the stump. Fill it with old tires and more stumps. Finish off with 20 gallons of diesel. Toss in a couple of 1 gallon zip top bags of jellied gasoline and light. Regulations require that you dance naked around the fire till it is out or the liquor is gone. You have just experienced a typical PNW GTG.

Yes! Dig a 4' deep trench around the stump. Fill it with old tires and more stumps. Finish off with 20 gallons of diesel. Toss in a couple of 1 gallon zip top bags of jellied gasoline and light. Regulations require that you dance naked around the fire till it is out or the liquor is gone. You have just experienced a typical PNW GTG.

Sounds like to much work.

these do work very well. I hadn't even thought of ripping them with a chainsaw-shame on me:msp_biggrin: they work real well with lodge pole and would love to try birch some time.

Hmm I guess im technically in the PNW, Might have to make it down for one sometime. I assume canadians are aloud?

I assume canadians are aloud?

most Canadians I know are rather quiet, but they are from Ontario or Quebec, I guess you guys from BC can be as loud as you want. And, I am sure that you are allowed. :msp_flapper: :msp_flapper:

It's just driving through customs that I hate now. Used to be so easy when I was a kid, in northern NY, there were even crossings that weren't monitored at all. You were just expected to go to the nearest monitored crossing to check in.

Back