Swing Booms on regular skidders???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that pretty cool i agree... i wonder if you could fab a cutter head for it also....one machine does all thing?hmm would be a good concept. especially for ky...:cheers:

Sorry was refering to a 640 648 machines never owned a 540 548.

I just learned how to tell if a Deere pump is high capacity or not, by an extra hole in the end of the splined shaft, so I can check my cable machine when I take it apart to see if it is.

I don't know anything about the 600 series Deere Skidders, just that they are huge, LOL.

Sam

Here is my 518 at work. Pulled 242 trees and pecker poles in 5.5 hours with this 518 Swing Boom and a 540B Grapple. I guess, I'll wait a little longer for that "popping sound ". Did this post with my phone so no narrative.

IMG_20110106_121736.jpg

IMG_20110106_123347.jpg

IMG_20110106_161153.jpg

IMG_20110106_144718.jpg

IMG_20110106_105453.jpg

IMG_20110106_105449.jpg

player.swf

player.swf

Sam

Sorry for slow response, been working from before sun up to after sun down for weeks with no computer time. Thanks, thats the same video I posted before on number 41 post of this thread. I've really learned a lot from running the Cat 518 Swinger that I have. I can see how I lived without one for years, because I did it, but man it sure is a lot easier with a swing boom on the job.

While I don't think every skidder that a multi-skidder operation has, should have a swinger on it, certainly one swinger to one or two single/dual grapples is a nice ratio. It does take some getting use to, to get fast with it, but once you do, it has easily up'd production to almost double on some days in what would be crappy conditions. Depending on the logs amount and their lay out and density and the length of the skid, I can stay 1-5 hitches/bunches ahead of the regular skidder and that machine is only stopping just long enough to shift from reverse to forward when picking up the next hitch in the woods that I have built for him, and then its 3-6 gear to the landing to drop them off on the fly and back again. The hitches are sorted better pulp on one hitch and saw logs in others. I can reach of tops, throw tops out of the way, reach across ditches and creeks, down hills, over stumps all without having to drive my skidders through or over these obstacles and racking up wear and abuse on them. My hitches or bunches are better sized toward the single action grapple and already setup for an optimum pull, with hills or other obstacles taken into account. For instance if it is level or downhill, I know to build larger hitches, if uphill or bad/muddy crossings, I go smaller. It allows me to keep the "traveling" skidder running at full production all day with no stops.

One day Jerry had three stops in the whole day, twice to pee and once for short lunch. He was quite proud of that day, so was I, the amount of wood that came out that day would just flat put a grin on your face, LOL, and it all came out without any undo abuse to the skidders, now my back and neck were sore from running that swing boom skidder backwards all day, but that is good pain, LOL.

I can see how those machines that have swivel seats or something would really be nice ...... but not for the money at my little level. Because when you get good with this thing you end up driving it backwards about as much as you drive it forwards, thankfully the 518's seat is already canted to the right about 15 degrees and the seat is the size of a small sofa. The torque converter tranny is really nice too, as you don't have to wear your right arm out operating the boom and then shifting gears too.

Later,

Sam

Last edited:
Another classic "What do you guys think of this, even though I know best and my mind's made up" thread.

I wonder if Slamm's heard any "popping" sounds recently :hmm3grin2orange:

really enjoyed reading this old post. Got the quote in "blue" letters memorized now. It really makes sense.

Latest posts

Back