Swisher wood splitter dying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocky226

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a swisher wood splitter it has a 6.0 hp Briggs Quantum motor. I can get it to start by pushing the primer bulb but the only way it will continue to run is by pushing the primer bulb. As soon as you quit pushing it dies. Does anyone have a clue where to start on this? I have cleaned the carb. it all looks good.:(

Make sure it dosnt have any water in the fuel tank. Make sure the fuel line is good and the fuel tank is not plugged. I would also take another look inside the carb and be sure all is clean and take a close look at the bowl nut. The nut has jets in it too, 2 hoizontal and 1 vertical, make sure they are very clean. Also take a look at the intake tube, be sure the o-ring is making a tight seal at the carb. Be sure the intake tube is not cracked or broken. I would start there if all is well the fuel system is not your problem...

3 Things to remember GAS ,Air, Spark (Ignition) #1 Sounds to me fuel line is blocked. Remove same blow out ,check for cracks, rips ,tears.#2 Carb might not be adjusted right.#3 Check spark plug(Gap is right),wire isn't't cracked(exposing metal braid that might ground itself to motor)If none of these work, you might have a valve stuck closed then further "Tear Down" of engine is warranted(IE removing head to get to valve) Hope this helps

Took the carb. off and found a gasket that has a split in it. Will get a new gasket set tomorrow and see what happens. The fuel line and everything is clear. Plenty of gas in the fuel bowl. Also checked the fuel bowl bolt and the jets in it was clear also.

I have a swisher wood splitter it has a 6.0 hp Briggs Quantum motor. I can get it to start by pushing the primer bulb but the only way it will continue to run is by pushing the primer bulb. As soon as you quit pushing it dies. Does anyone have a clue where to start on this? I have cleaned the carb. it all looks good.:(

Obviously it is fuel related. Usually when that happens with any other engine, it turns out to be a cracked fuel line and the engine sucks air instead of fuel. I had a weed eater that had the same problem, and it was a bad fuel line.

The split gasket that you discovered might have something to do with it, but I would bet that a cracked fuel line is letting air into the system.

TFB

Back