Switching from Street Gas/Oil Mix to Ethanol Free

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Buzz! Bobby K sent the same link earlier in this thread. Of all the stations listed close to me, that was the only one on the list still active. Will hit it this week!
Missed the earlier post. I go once in the Spring and get 15 - 20 gallons to use in all my power equipment. I store it in an unheated shed - if there is any left, I put it in my truck.

1) get decent, clean steel container (stainless or galvanized).
2) put conditioner/stabilizer in container
3) fill with non-ethanol fuel.

Ta-da, this can of fuel will be good for a very long time, a year or maybe two. I would not hesitate.

I sure hope we have non-ethanol available here for a long time yet. My fuel sits 6 months in a plastic can and is ok. Part of that is because it sits most of that in cold winter months.

I have never even seen a container of that mixed fuel. I bet it comes in metal cans. Ta-da! That is the not really a secret to making gas last.

More pep on etho free gas, etho fuel just doesn't have enough ump to it, like watered down gas. Same as running etho free gas in your truck, fuel mileage go up cause it burns better than e10 gas.

Steve
I tried that in my Focus and kept pen and paper records and reset my on board fuel mileage calculator.

No diff with ethanol free. Maybe one tenth of an MPG better. YMMV

However, it is the only thing to run in any and all small engines and power equipment.

At our two local stations, there is no non ethanol advertising, all of the pumps have stickers that say they " may have up to 10 percent ethanol" but the Premium pumps have been ethanol free for at least over four years. I have tested it in a water jar almost every time just to make sure. The regular has ethanol in it.
We have other stations that advertise ethanol free fuel. If you have trouble finding ethanol free it might be worth it to check the Premium even if it is stickered as eth. fuel.

I am so grateful to you all for your input/responses!
I am very glad I joined this site! Your spouses will probably never tell you this, but you all have some genius in you, and kudos for sharing it with me. I feel like I have a hundred mentors here!
Thank you all again, and Happy NEW YEAR!!!!

I am so grateful to you all for your input/responses!
I am very glad I joined this site! Your spouses will probably never tell you this, but you all have some genius in you, and kudos for sharing it with me. I feel like I have a hundred mentors here!
Thank you all again, and Happy NEW YEAR!!!!
So glad you are finding the answers you looked for. I agree, some very intelligent people here but more than that, most are friendly and very willing to help and share what we've learn - often the hard way. And yes, almost every day my wife tells me how smart I am - for marrying her. lol.

I don't remember ever working on small engine carburetors while helping out my grandfathers with various repairs as a kid. and we had some tired old machines. When ethanol arrived in our fuel supply, it was rebuilding carbs every year, and sometimes even in the summer after using the lawnmower for a while. Chainsaws died, weed eaters died, lawn mowers died. I put only ethanol free gas in for a number of years, and have done zero carb work since, other than occasionally re-tuning 2 strokes due to changes in the weather. I work with a dude sometimes who isn't so careful with the gas, and always make a point of bringing my own gas can for my equipment. I've kept the ethanol free for over a year with no problems... put it in the tank and it starts up every time.

I don't know if there is a performance issue between Ethanol-laced gas and the Non-E stuff. I run canned pre-mix fuel thru all of my O P E.

It wasn't until May of 2017 that we got a new gas station in that sold the E-Free stuff. I've now run about 4 tanks of it thru my BMW m/c. If there is an increase in performance, it is very slight. It's about $0.60 more per gallon that the reg. Ethanol-laced stuff.

Anyways, I'm now committed to the E-Free stuff as long as I can get it for my m/c. Maybe it's just peace-of-mind for me.

Latest posts

Back