Switching to Ethanol Free Gas...any problems?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Been running the regular ethanol in my 5020 Poulan...but just found a slew of ethanol free gas stations close by so I'm switching.
I've heard everything from I'll need to mod my carb, to trash the saw now, or you'll need a tune up.
Mind you, I've only run 1 full tank through this new saw and it's been sitting for about 2 months idle.:msp_confused:

Any advice?

Reggie

Just run 'er. Your fuel lines and carb will thank you later.

From your manual:

Edit: Manual didn't copy very well from PDF, the page it came from was page 10 of the PDF file located here: http://www.poulanpro.com/ddoc/PPOO/PPOO2012_NAen/PPOO2012_NAen_PP5020AV_115395626R5.pdf

BEFORE STARTING ENGINE
WARNING:
Muffler is very hot dur-
ingandafter use. Donot touchthe muffleror
allow combustible material such as dry
grass or fuel to do so.
WARNING:
Be sure to read the fuel
handling information in the safety rules sec-
tionofthismanualbeforeyoubegin.Ifyoudo
not understand the fuel handling information
do not attempt to fuel your unit. Seek help
from someone that does understand the in-
formation or call the customer assistance
help line at 1-800-554-6723.
FUELING ENGINE
WARNING:
Removefuelcapslowly
when refueling.
HELPFULTIP
Toobtain thecorrect oilmix
ratio, pour 3.2 ounces of
2--cycle synthetic oil into
one gallon of fresh gas.
IMPORTANT:
This equipment is designed
to operate on unleaded gasoline with a minim-
um 87 octane (R+M/2 method), with ethanol
blended up to 10% maximum by volume
(E-10). Before operation, gasoline must be
mixed with a good quality synthetic 2-cycle
air-cooled engine oil designed to be mixed at a
ratio of 40:1. Poulan/WEED EATER brand
synthetic oil is recommended. Mix gasoline
andoilat aratio of40:1. A 40:1ratio is obtained
by mixing 3.2 fluid ounces of oil with 1 gallon of
unleaded gasoline. DO NOT USE automotive
oil or marine oil. These oils will cause engine
damage. When mixing fuel, follow instructions
printed on container. Once oil is added to gas-
oline, shake container momentarily to assure
that the fuel is thoroughly mixed. Always read
andfollow thesafety rules relatingto fuelbefore
fueling your unit. Purchase fuel in quantities
thatcanbeusedwithin30daystoassurefuel
freshness.
CAUTION:
Never use straight gasoline in
your unit. This will cause permanent engine
damage and void the limited warranty
Do not
use alternate fuels
such as ethanol blends
above 10% by volume (E-15, E-85) or any
methanol blended fuel. Use of these fuels can
causemajorengineperformance anddurability
problems

All it says is that you can use UP TO E10 (ethanol free or E0 is fine). The warning about not using straight gasoline only means to always use mixed gas. Fresh fuel, as noted above, is a good thing too. If it's been sitting 2 months, best bet is to dump that gas out and fill it with fresh mix. Straight gas is more stable than E10, but still not a long shelf life fuel. If you want to keep it gassed and ready for long periods, I'd look into buying Trufuel or similar for it.

Just run 'er. Your fuel lines and carb will thank you later.

From your manual:

Edit: Manual didn't copy very well from PDF, the page it came from was page 10 of the PDF file located here: http://www.poulanpro.com/ddoc/PPOO/PPOO2012_NAen/PPOO2012_NAen_PP5020AV_115395626R5.pdf

All it says is that you can use UP TO E10 (ethanol free or E0 is fine). The warning about not using straight gasoline only means to always use mixed gas. Fresh fuel, as noted above, is a good thing too. If it's been sitting 2 months, best bet is to dump that gas out and fill it with fresh mix. Straight gas is more stable than E10, but still not a long shelf life fuel. If you want to keep it gassed and ready for long periods, I'd look into buying Trufuel or similar for it.

Thanks...and still use the same fuel mix?

In NC

Reggie,

Here in NC you have to look very hard to find ethanol free gas. There are a few gas stations in the country that have it and that's all I run in my 2-stroke's.
My Husqvarna dealer questions whether they really have ethanol free gas. He sells a kit for testing to see if it is in fact ethanol free.

I have run 30 tanks of E0 90 octane mixed at 40:1 with no problems since november the people telling you that E0 will hurt your saw is a bunch of idiots don't listen to them.I also run that in both of my truck and use it in my lawn mowers and string trimmers with no problems.

just every 90 days dump the fuel in the truck and buy fresh keep the fuel fresh and rotated and you will not have a problem.

Been running the regular ethanol in my 5020 Poulan...but just found a slew of ethanol free gas stations close by so I'm switching.
I've heard everything from I'll need to mod my carb, to trash the saw now, or you'll need a tune up.
Mind you, I've only run 1 full tank through this new saw and it's been sitting for about 2 months idle.:msp_confused:

Any advice?

Reggie

Only problem I see is, your saw will start easier, run better, and last longer.

Be thankful you can get it, Bama is full of stations that still have pure gas at the pump. I'm headed for Scottsboro to fish in a few weeks and I'll be bringing the boat tanks back full of the good stuff to run the saws and trimmers over the summer here.

Real E0 won't hurt anything but the government.
Run it like ya borrowed it.

Not sure it would hurt the gov, only the liberals feelings. With the subsidies the gov gives eth, it would help them if we could lay off that crap. The only people hurt would be the farmers and eth producers. corn is food not fuel!

Let's draw the line for the politics of it right about here. We've got a whole political forum to discuss that in, PM me if you'd like the password for it (or the Guns and Ammo forum for that matter).

Be thankful you can get it, Bama is full of stations that still have pure gas at the pump. I'm headed for Scottsboro to fish in a few weeks and I'll be bringing the boat tanks back full of the good stuff to run the saws and trimmers over the summer here.

Thanks...Hey wear them out up in Scottsboro...they've been catching some slab sized crappies...and some decent bass off up in the shallow end of sloughs and off rip raps! :rock:

Back