Tailgate down=2 lost saws!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lesson is...don't be a dumbass...lol

Those were the only two saws I own. I can borrow the old man's for a while, but I'll need to find something sooner than later. Pretty low on funds right now so it's going to be a struggle just to replace one of them.

Buck

that sucks so bad. It's always the hardest lessons learned when it costs you so much. Sorry about your day man. Do you have any others as back ups?

Steps were retraced

I drove about 18 miles and I noticed they were gone as soon as I stopped. I immediately called my neighbors and one was nice enough to head down the road and look for me. I met her half way to no avail. I drove all the way back and checked all ditches. I have a bad feeling I lost it at one of 3 stop signs. They both were in plastic cases and were sitting on plyboard instead of the line-x bed lining which might not have made a difference. Going to wait til Monday night before I start searching for another.

Buck

Buck, that sure does suck, makes me sick to my stomach. Hopefully somebody will do the right thing and return them. Have you retraced your steps??

Mike

Ny son is traveling this weekend. I will be calling about 25 home depots that he will be close to the next couple days looking for a couple saws. One for him and one for me. If he gets some I will let you know. I don't really need one. I talked to one of the St. Louis store today that said they would be selling a couple in about a month. I don't know if that is an option for you. I can get you that store number if you want it. Wish me luck.

please p.m. me the number

I talked to a few stores today with no luck. Most didn't have a clue when they would sell their rentals. Only one store said "maybe" in a few months. I know some of the employees there can be quite lazy so I took their answers with a grain of salt. Please p.m. the number if you wouldn't mind. Thanks!

Buck

Ny son is traveling this weekend. I will be calling about 25 home depots that he will be close to the next couple days looking for a couple saws. One for him and one for me. If he gets some I will let you know. I don't really need one. I talked to one of the St. Louis store today that said they would be selling a couple in about a month. I don't know if that is an option for you. I can get you that store number if you want it. Wish me luck.

I talked to a few stores today with no luck. Most didn't have a clue when they would sell their rentals. Only one store said "maybe" in a few months. I know some of the employees there can be quite lazy so I took their answers with a grain of salt. Please p.m. the number if you wouldn't mind. Thanks!

Buck

If possible go to the stores close to you in person and check for yourself, the store Ibfound mine at had told me over the phone they didn't have any. Also ask to see the sheet of rental tools for sale in the stores from your region.

Good luck man I know how you feel years ago one of my guys left a paslode stick nailer and sheathing stapler on a job and I didn't find out till the next day when we were unloading at another job site. Two days later the plumber who was roughing in cought up with me and said he found them that night when he was estimating the job. Maybe put up a couple of looking for posters at those stop sighns and someone will surprise you with their honesty, good luck.

Nothing like that terrible sinking feeling in your guts that makes you want to cry :cry:

Wont make you feel any better but my tailgate opend with a full load of oak rounds and when i backed up to re-load,drove over my brand new dolmar..

Makes me think it might be a good idea to mark my saws with my name and phone number.

Sorry for your loss. I know losing a saw can be just like losing a family member. :cry:

After that painfull lesson I put my name and number on all my saws and put special locks on the tool boxes plus installed a lip inside the box so the saw wouldn't be able to slip out if the door opened again

Sorry to hear that, I have to tell about a good samriton that was a god send to me. I lost my brand new blower the same way and got about 5 miles down the road before I noticed.

I backtracked and was in awe that someone had picked it up from the road were it fell out at the Micklers inlet turn and placed it under the stop sign.
God bless you Samaritan.

Sorry to hear that, I have to tell about a good samriton that was a god send to me. I lost my brand new blower the same way and got about 5 miles down the road before I noticed.

I backtracked and was in awe that someone had picked it up from the road were it fell out at the Micklers inlet turn and placed it under the stop sign.
God bless you Samaritan.

That was ME!!

I did it becuase I saw the 2 AK-47's in your rifle rack!!

Well I have called every home depot from KC to Indy and none of them have any Makitas for sale. Scotvl is right, the only way to know for sure is to check in person.

Well....today was a sad sad day. I had my makita 6401 and shindaiwa 490 in the back of my truck in their boxes and either I forgot to put the tailgate up or it didn't latch properly and someone between my house and my sons daycare (18 miles away). My heart dropped when I got out of the truck to get him out and saw the tailgate down with an empty bed. Straight up sickening. If there could be any 'bright side' the 7900 p&c and some other parts hadn't been installed yet. (Due Monday.)

So...if anyone comes across a makita 6401 on the side of the road or has one they would like to sell then p.m. me. After my recent aftermarket purchases I'm left with very little money to spend. I guess I'm looking for a home depot type deal or something. I've already called my local h.d.'s and no luck. I'm going to put out a few signs in a bit and offer a reward. Can't hurt at this point. Thanks guys.

Buck

too bad, sent you a pm

It can't happen to me.........

Hello. Sorry to hear that you lost two of your saws. That is awful. Hopefully they will turn up via a good samaritan. I've always thought that it could not happen to me, but tonight it did. I did not lose the saw. However, I heard the thump and immediately realized I'd left the tailgate down as I backed out of the driveway. Wow, it happens fast. I now understand and appreciate that it can indeed happen to anyone. I usually keep my equipment wired tight, but boy, not tonight. Best of luck to you, and someway somehow I hope it works out. Max.

Feel bad for ya bud.
My saws ride on the back seat on old towels, stops them for bouncing around the bed of the truck pile empty, falling off the log pile full, or growing legs when I stop to get diesel or beer on the way home.

My saw rides in the back seat. on the floor with the bench up. Wood should be in the back.

Man that sucks. I have left my tailgate down more than once, but generally I try to close it every time that I open it. I usually have a ton of crap in my bed. One time I was tuning and testing my truck and punched it on this hill. No traffic in front of or behind me, so boost gauge had most of my attention but all the crap falling out of my bed made such a racket it caught my attention. I spent the next 10 minutes picking crap up.

Back