Taking a stab at a Poulan 4000 on Ebay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ill make sure i watch it so i dont get the poulan guys all butt hurt. You guys are worse then the echo crowd.

If you are going to disparage people, at least do it in a grammatically correct form. "Then" is an adverb, you should use "than" which is a conjunction and is used in comparative speech.

Looks like that saw was sitting outside in a junk pile.

Amazing what jems you can find in the junk pile sometimes!!!

The 4000 is a fantastic saw, as is the rest of that series.
Some seem to get sand in their vagina when searching for parts, but I know YOU won't have that problem!!!

Mike

I can say that I was very impressed with the 3400 I had and the 4000 can only be better, it is basically the same saw with a larger displacement. I have been looking around and it seems that I can still get new cylinders for this saw but I have stuck out on pistons.

Amazing what jems you can find in the junk pile sometimes!!!

The 4000 is a fantastic saw, as is the rest of that series.
Some seem to get sand in their vagina when searching for parts, but I know YOU won't have that problem!!!

Mike
Since thats what i want to do when i have wood to cut....search for parts.

Roanoaker, I take it your not married. When I sell a car or have a bit of extra cash the last thing Im allowed to do is buy saws on ebay. Maybe a saw but NOT saws. Hey quick question, if your left arm was damaged in a wreck how do you wield some of those heavy old vintage saws you have?? Oh yeah I got my 50 running tonight, how is your 55?

i'm real happy with the 4000 i bought this winter. did some cutting with it and seems real strong. i'm anxious to do some timed cuts against my 036.:snicker:

My problem is I have put so many "irons in the fire" that I have no idea when I will get a chance to mess with this one. I am stilling putting the 042/048 back together and I just tore down two more on the work bench, a Husky 266xp and a Husky 51. I would like to have it ready by the VA gtg in March, but who knows what could happen.

My problem is I have put so many "irons in the fire" that I have no idea when I will get a chance to mess with this one. I am stilling putting the 042/048 back together and I just tore down two more on the work bench, a Husky 266xp and a Husky 51. I would like to have it ready by the VA gtg in March, but who knows what could happen.

i hear ya. so many saws. so little time!:sad:

It's here

The mail man dropped off my Poulan "4000" today and it turns out it has a 3700 top end on it, or may be a 3700 with a 4000 top cover. The saw is fairly well complete, has spark and 120psi of compression. I have investigated the low compression issue and found that the cylinder had intake ingestion damage. Wondering if that can be repaired due to it having a aluminum bore and chrome piston? Can't really throw acid on a bare aluminum bore. I am excited that the saw was in decent condition but very disappointed that is was not actually a 4000. The so called "Banana" bar is total junk but the the chain looks to be fairly new, it may have been filed once or twice. The only missing parts, that I can see, are the fuel cap, bar nuts and a few random screws.

100_1717.jpg

100_1718.jpg

100_1719.jpg

100_1720.jpg

Oops! Looks like someone missed with the filter cover screw. Wonder if that had anything to do with ingestion damage? Hmm......
100_1721.jpg

Roanoaker, I take it your not married. When I sell a car or have a bit of extra cash the last thing Im allowed to do is buy saws on ebay. Maybe a saw but NOT saws. Hey quick question, if your left arm was damaged in a wreck how do you wield some of those heavy old vintage saws you have?? Oh yeah I got my 50 running tonight, how is your 55?

Sorry I missed this post and have yet to answer you. I occasionally have to go left handed when running my saws, but once the saw is in the wood I can handle them pretty well right handed. I don't have much issue until the weight gets over 30-35 pounds and most all my saws fall under that anyway.

Sorry I missed this post and have yet to answer you. I occasionally have to go left handed when running my saws, but once the saw is in the wood I can handle them pretty well right handed. I don't have much issue until the weight gets over 30-35 pounds and most all my saws fall under that anyway.

Most 3700 pistons use thin rings while the 3800 use thick rings. Just a general rule though. Filters are hard to find but rest of saw says 4000.
Bob

Most 3700 pistons use thin rings while the 3800 use thick rings. Just a general rule though. Filters are hard to find but rest of saw says 4000.
Bob

I measured the piston with a tape measure and got 1.875, best I could do without a caliper. I think that measurment matches the 3700 but I am not sure what the bore is on a 3800.

Latest posts

Back