Taking a stab at a Poulan 4000 on Ebay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I measured the piston with a tape measure and got 1.875, best I could do without a caliper. I think that measurment matches the 3700 but I am not sure what the bore is on a 3800.

Johnnie, 1.875 is the dia for a 3700/3800 for sure. Yours is a chrome piston, thick rings so that means its a 3800.

You have quite the mismash of parts on that one for sure. It has a 3400 recoil, a 4000 cyl cover, air filter, air filter cover and clutch cover.

The black rear handles scream later 3400/3800 but it appears the lower handle mounts have 10-24 screws in them along with the small dia round spacer between the lower rear handle mounts.

The later models use a hex spacer and 1/4" holes in the handles so that don't make sense on this one. Pull one of those screws and see what size holes are in the handles.

That piston don't look that bad but the cyl is hard for me to tell in the picture.

I know that rings can still be bought from Poulan for it.

I just looked and that cyl and piston kit is still on the books as well.

Johnnie, 1.875 is the dia for a 3700/3800 for sure. Yours is a chrome piston, thick rings so that means its a 3800.

You have quite the mismash of parts on that one for sure. It has a 3400 recoil, a 4000 cyl cover, air filter, air filter cover and clutch cover.

The black rear handles scream later 3400/3800 but it appears the lower handle mounts have 10-24 screws in them along with the small dia round spacer between the lower rear handle mounts.

The later models use a hex spacer and 1/4" holes in the handles so that don't make sense on this one. Pull one of those screws and see what size holes are in the handles.

That piston don't look that bad but the cyl is hard for me to tell in the picture.

I know that rings can still be bought from Poulan for it.

I just looked and that cyl and piston kit is still on the books as well.

I just measured my 3800 piston and came up with 1.865 or 47.36 mm. Looks like you got a 3700/3800. Mark, the recoil assembly looks like a 4000 to me as it has the metal shaft. Haven't seen that on a 3400.

Bob

The mail man dropped off my Poulan "4000" today and it turns out it has a 3700 top end on it, or may be a 3700 with a 4000 top cover. The saw is fairly well complete, has spark and 120psi of compression. I have investigated the low compression issue and found that the cylinder had intake ingestion damage. Wondering if that can be repaired due to it having a aluminum bore and chrome piston? Can't really throw acid on a bare aluminum bore. I am excited that the saw was in decent condition but very disappointed that is was not actually a 4000. The so called "Banana" bar is total junk but the the chain looks to be fairly new, it may have been filed once or twice. The only missing parts, that I can see, are the fuel cap, bar nuts and a few random screws.

100_1717.jpg

100_1718.jpg

100_1719.jpg

100_1720.jpg

Oops! Looks like someone missed with the filter cover screw. Wonder if that had anything to do with ingestion damage? Hmm......
100_1721.jpg

I would say it started out as a 3700. If it was mine I would clean the P/C with new rings and put it back together. 120 is not that low for that saw. You still got a good deal even though they listed it as a 4000. Good luck with it.
Hunter h

A little cleaning up and a some searching for parts and you are going to have a great saw.

I don't believe I am going to raise any stink with the seller over this saw. I can see $80 worth of parts on it and I bought it assuming it would only be good as a parts saws. Since the saw has exceeded that expectation, I am happy.

Thanks to everyone for the information you have given.

Edit:
I am looking into a local tip on a few Poulan 4000 pistons, maybe a cylinder also.

Last edited:
I don't believe I am going to raise any stink with the seller over this saw. I can see $80 worth of parts on it and I bought it assuming it would only be good as a parts saws. Since the saw has exceeded that expectation, I am happy.

Thanks to everyone for the information you have given.

Edit:
I am looking into a local tip on a few Poulan 4000 pistons, maybe a cylinder also.

See if you can pick up a 4000 muffler as well. Yours is from a 3400 or 3700.
Bob

I worked it out with the seller to receive a partial refund for this saw not being a 4000.

ModifiedMark
I finally checked the rear handle and the AV bolts are most definitely 10-24, which are much smaller than the hole in the handle.

You did not loose out. You can find a top end without a problem. The 3700 still makes a good amount of power, and they really are not too heavy.

I worked it out with the seller to receive a partial refund for this saw not being a 4000.

ModifiedMark
I finally checked the rear handle and the AV bolts are most definitely 10-24, which are much smaller than the hole in the handle.

Thats what I thought you would find.

That saws a miss match of parts. Just so you know though, after your refund, I'll bet the 4000 filter cover is worth what you got into it.

Latest posts

Back