Tanaka 3351 from Baileys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nnero

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just ordered one from Baileys. 189 including shipping. Looks like its being discontinued for emissions reasons. Been looking for a 'lil guy for a while and this looked great for the price. Hopefully itll be better than other saws in that price range. Powerhead is 7.7 lbs. Will give a true weight and pics when it comes in. From what I could find they seem to be well built. im not expecting much just want it be light and easy to handle.

They are a nice little saw. I have used more than a few Tanaka's over the years, mainly their top handles and excellent polesaws and trimmers. As good as anything else out there.

This 3351 is according to Bailey's made in Japan and not assembled in China to reduce costs, like most of the newer Tanaka stuff.
Quality wise and reliability wise they are going to be as good if not better than anything else you could get to your door for $189 brand new.
It has a bit less power than my Dolmar 340 but it also is a little bit lighter. If it runs as well as my Dolmar 340 you should have an awesome little saw on your hands!

Only thing wrong with it is I cannot get one for $189 to my door! :cry: Over here $599 before shipping. :dizzy:

http://sydneytools.com.au/tanaka-ecs-3351-chainsaw-33cc-355mm-14-bar-1-7hp

Let us all know how it runs when you get it. :)

I have looked at the Tanaka chainsaws and poured over the IPLs a few times, mainly trying to figure out what their "Pure Fire" technology was. Essentially, it is quad closed port and a cat muffler. So the good is that all their saws have quad closed ports and removable transfer covers, and the bad is no strato and a cat muffler. They should be good candidates for porting though, especially with the removable transfer covers.

I have looked at the Tanaka chainsaws and poured over the IPLs a few times, mainly trying to figure out what their "Pure Fire" technology was. Essentially, it is quad closed port and a cat muffler. So the good is that all their saws have quad closed ports and removable transfer covers, and the bad is no strato and a cat muffler. They should be good candidates for porting though, especially with the removable transfer covers.
I muffler modded my Weedeater.man you talking about choked up.it's a totally different machine now.;)

I have looked at the parts sheets for that model, 3351 and it is a carb forward case reed. Not unlike my efco 132s but cylinder bolted to cases instead of clam shell. I also note it claims chrome bore not nikasil. That design makes for small dimension top to bottom but the anti vibe is kind of an afterthought. Something like the Husqvarna 339 has the same shape but the anti vibe got consideration from the start. Some of the stuff seemed reasonable in the parts pricing but one carb kit I clicked on was over $100 Piston set $35.97

I have looked at the parts sheets for that model, 3351 and it is a carb forward case reed. Not unlike my efco 132s but cylinder bolted to cases instead of clam shell. I also note it claims chrome bore not nikasil. That design makes for small dimension top to bottom but the anti vibe is kind of an afterthought. Something like the Husqvarna 339 has the same shape but the anti vibe got consideration from the start. Some of the stuff seemed reasonable in the parts pricing but one carb kit I clicked on was over $100 Piston set $35.97
Pretty sure this is the rear handle adaptation of the TCS-3301PFS top handle. It appears to be piston ported.

No experience with that saw, but I've used several Tanaka pieces including string trimmers, blowers and pole saws. Each has been very high quality. Hope the China assembled stuff is close in build. Brute power doesn't seem to be the focus of their engineers. It's seems to be more about reliability and ease of use.

I just recently started aquiring Hitachi=Tanaka stuff and really like it a lot. Have to admit that I am only buying the "old" real Tanaka models. The new versions haven't convinced me yet.

The 25 cc polesaw I have, has a "Pure-fire" engine. Very clean-running. One analysis I've seen of the details of their emission control approach said that there's a narrow passage in the "feed" to their transfer ports, to better mix air & fuel. They rate the 25 cc engine at 1.3 hp., which is very competitive on paper. No problem with 10" b&c. Quiet.

The 25 cc polesaw I have, has a "Pure-fire" engine. Very clean-running. One analysis I've seen of the details of their emission control approach said that there's a narrow passage in the "feed" to their transfer ports, to better mix air & fuel. They rate the 25 cc engine at 1.3 hp., which is very competitive on paper. No problem with 10" b&c. Quiet.
Interesting. I have not looked at the polesaw IPL but I will try to find one. The one for this chainsaw seems to show a cylinder gasket with restrictive holes like the one that was the subject of a recent thread here - but of course you really can't tell much from those drawings.

This video is all I could find:

Unfortunately it is refreshingly free of any actual information like most marketing material. I figure if they had any actual technology they would have included something about it.

I just recently started aquiring Hitachi=Tanaka stuff and really like it a lot. Have to admit that I am only buying the "old" real Tanaka models. The new versions haven't convinced me yet. 7

I know what you mean. I really like their older saws but am not so overwhelmed by the newer "assembled in China" saws.
Any of the newer ones i have had a chance to use were ok, but felt really plasticy and were very low power for the cc's. Must be good stuff to have a 7 year warranty but left me very underwhelmed.

That was another factor (besides price) for me. This saw is supposed to be made in Japan. Its been shipped and is currently in transit. Will update when it arrives.

As far as I know all the classic Tanaka designs were produced in Japan.

That was another factor (besides price) for me. This saw is supposed to be made in Japan. Its been shipped and is currently in transit. Will update when it arrives.

As far as I know all the classic Tanaka designs were produced in Japan. 7

To the best of my knowledge, all Tanaka products, not only saws, were in the past 100% Japanese manufactured. At a certain date, I'm not exactly sure when, on certain products the Japanese made parts were assembled in China to save on production costs. The warranty is still 7 years so the quality control you would expect to be very good. The price for the end user, here in Australia anyway, has remained the same and is still very expensive. Someone is getting money back from the reduced Chinese assembly costs, i know for sure it is not me. ;)

Back