Tanaka 3351 from Baileys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You didn't go for one? Got one when Bailey's was asking $130-ish. Really nice little limbing & trimming saw. Would be better yet with some fuel capacity. 7 oz. is kinda limiting. Looking for deals in pawn shops and C-List now, zogger?

A determining factor for me was how well Tanaka's engine innards are built, as opposed to stihl 170/180.

No, right now I am running and project saw rich (plenty of project saws and trimmers, egadzooks...), my spare loot, such as it is, is going to tools and truck stuff now. Ordered a vac/pressure tester and compression tester this week, for example. Next up will be a bit more rigging gear.

My orange GB bar will be here today. Im sure the 'lil guy will scream with a 12" bar lol. My biggest complaint on this saw is the fasteners. I wish it used torx instead of phillips.

A determining factor for me was how well Tanaka's engine innards are built, as opposed to stihl 170/180.

At first I was disappointed in the "plasticy" feel but like you said above that must be where the quality and original MSRP come into play.

On a side not, Im glad people are using this thread and updating it. Hopefully it is helpful.

I think the tree climber guy who cut my dead ash tree this winter got the last 3 of those Tanaka's from Baileys. He said he ordered 4 of them and they only sent him 3. He used mine and likes it. When I told him what I paid he must have liked it more.

I have 2 Tanaka dealers in my area so if mine brakes its going to one of them. Funny that my main Jonsered guy and the closest dealer to my place is listed on the Tanaka site. I told him I never knew he was a Tanaka dealer because he has no signs up. He said he sells a few trimmers, blowers and pole saws every year. Every so often he sells one of their 2 stroke drills he said. He said the saws never sold well based on price. Especially since he was the first Jonsered dealer in our area. He also sells ECHO, and now Shindiawa trimmers. He's got a pretty diverse line-up.

Great place to have less than 5 miles away.

Cut up some small branches and tree top scrap that was laying around. It worked great and seems to run better with the shorter bar. It came with Oregon non-safety chain which also worked better than the stock chain. The little tanaka grows on me every time I fire it up. The exhaust note isn't bad either.

I like the Woodsman Pro 30LP from Baileys. Its rough in the cut, but holds an edge very well. Its grabby too with twigs. I haven't run the Oregon nonsafety long enough to know which I like better.

And for any of you sitting on extras, or that choose to part with yours.... Please keep me in mind. Did I mention I love mine? :D
There was one in the trading post a few weeks ago.dont know if it sold or not.
I'm carrying my 3351 in my truck tool box.comes in handy right now for doing pruning.

Gave the little tanaka a workout yesterday.i've ran 4-5 tanks thru it and it seems to be waking up.took down a 12" 30ft colorado blue spruce and a huge holly bush.the only grumble i have is the fuel tank isn't big enough.seems that it runs out of fuel when you turn it on its side.i need to check and see if the fuel line is long enough or the line has gotten stiff and not letting the filter move freely.wish i had gotten a couple more of them.:(

Mine is the easiest starting saw I have ever owned. If it has been sitting unused for several weeks, it requires 2 pulls. If it has been sitting for less than a week it will start on the first pull with the choke pulled out and it will stay running long enough to push the choke in. I love this little made in Japan toy saw! Once warmed up it takes about half a pull to get it going.

Latest posts

Back