Tanaka 3351 from Baileys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran the little Tanaka all day cutting smaller stuff (under 6"). I ran about 10 tanks through it today, post muffler mod. It needs a good cleaning now, but I was really impressed how easy to handle it is. The little fella makes ya feel like Superman.

The supplied chain stretched like linguini for the first three or four tanks, then settled down. I'm not a big fan of the low kickback attorney chains for the most part, so I bought a couple full chisel 3/8" lp chains and plan to hit it again tomorrow.

Don't forget to add those weights and images to the chainsaw weight thread.

Well got my new saw . Stared at it . Poked it with a screw driver a few times and decided to get a scale out to see how much it weighs .

Some notes :

The one I received did not have a primer bulb and a plug was fitted in the case where one could go . The carb does not have provisions for a primer bulb .

The H/L adjustment screws on mine does have plastic limiters but they seem to leave a decent amount of adjustment room . The included flat head screw driver fits very nicely .

The Chain is a Oregon bumper tie strap chain or as I like to call it super safety chain .

I was a bit shocked by how tiny the fuel and chain oil caps are . I think I'm gonna keep a fuel bottle like I use with my Nitro R.C.'s handy for refueling this saw and preventing waste . I also think I might try putting a pointed cap from a gear oil quart bottle on my bar oil jug . As there is no way I'll be able to keep a funnel clean .

Hopefully I'll get this in some wood soon .

First picture here is of it as a dry power head only no bar and chain .

I got 8.09 Lbs.

CAM00369_zps76f496ee.jpg

The second picture is of it wet ( full of fuel and oil ) with the included 14" bar and chain .

I got 10.17 Lbs.

CAM00370_zps57c0cfae.jpg

According to Bailey's, they still have some of these. Pretty tempting. If they were top handle I'd pull the trigger, I like a one handed saw for climbing.

This saw has been consistently growing on me. It's just so handy and still have had no issues so far. It was really doggy one day and while getting ready to mess with the carb I noticed the choke was out just a smidgen. Make sure it's pushed ALL the way in.

This saw has been consistently growing on me. It's just so handy and still have had no issues so far. It was really doggy one day and while getting ready to mess with the carb I noticed the choke was out just a smidgen. Make sure it's pushed ALL the way in.

I did the same thing last time I ran mine. Those small controls are still taking some getting used to for my big ham hands. Which reminds me that I want to order an extra choke control plunger because I have already got it tangled up in a hole in my glove. I want one on hand when the inevitable happens and I snap it off.

This saw has impressed me out of the box. I'm breaking it out later today. This saw quickly became my favorite small saw. Its just so lite, and besides the smallness of it, too easy to handle. I haven't even run it with the supplied 14 inch bar and chain. I put a 10 inch Carlton Hobby Champ bar on it out of the box. I run the Woodlands pro 30LP. I haven't noticed any chain stretch. Today I'll throw the new Arbor Tech 12inch bar on it that I got on clearance from Left Coast Supply. Its gonna look all purdy in all orange.

For the bargan shoppers watching this thread, the guy on Ebay clearing out the NOS 50CC Tanakas on Ebay just lowered the price on them to $317. Hurry and buy them. IDON'T NEED ANOTHER 50CC SAW!!! I DON'T NEED ANOTHER 50CC SAW!!!

I .....
For the bargan shoppers watching this thread, the guy on Ebay clearing out the NOS 50CC Tanakas on Ebay just lowered the price on them to $317. Hurry and buy them. IDON'T NEED ANOTHER 50CC SAW!!! I DON'T NEED ANOTHER 50CC SAW!!!
Do you have a link?

For that saw a fantastic price! Old school technology but pro build quality! I just got one on sale as well(a little less) and I like it a lot! Used it to cut up a 60cm ~ 24 inch oak, convinced me that moment. Powerwise right in the middle of the 50cc league (Stihl 260, Husqvarna 353, etc.). Personally I would get another one but the distance is a little prohibitive so transportation may sum up... I have on mine only a 16 inch bar and find that totally sufficient.

I know those saws are real expensive. That's the worse selling point of Tanaka in the U.S.. I have 2 Tanaka dealers in my area and neither has ever stocked the saws. They are mainly known for high quality string trimmers, and multi tool systems in the U.S.. Their little 2 stroke drills sell too!

Well actually that model is, I don't really know who designed it so let's call it, a colaboration between Tanaka & Zenoah. The same model is also known as the Zenoah G 5000 or G5200(both models look identical on the Zenoah homepage).
http://www.zenoah.co.jp/int/products/chainsaws/g5000/
http://www.zenoah.co.jp/int/products/chainsaws/g5200/
So actually I believe that Tanaka bought the rights from Zenoah. Mine is from Hitachi (now the parent company to Tanaka) and has on the inside of the plastic, stampings "made by Zenoah". But who cares, they are all great high quality japanese companies, where I would never have a problem of owning one of their saws and cutting my firewood with them.

Today I'll throw the new Arbor Tech 12inch bar on it that I got on clearance from Left Coast Supply. Its gonna look all purdy in all orange.

Can you post a pic please. I was looking at these my self and would like to see what the orange 12" bar looks like. Thank you

That's the bar I have. Just a heads up though. You'll only get like 10 1/2 inches of useable bar length out of that bar

yeah, true I think that will be fine since this is only used for limbing and cutting up small stuff so I think it will be fine. I will lose some reach however. I guess this is the opposite of the Piltz method lol.

I missed out on the Tanaka's from Bailey's. Story of my life always late. I was checking out CL and one popped up! I had to drive a little but the guy said he ran 4 tanks of mix thru it and it was in perfect condition and comes with a new extra chain. He said he was firm on his price at $100. I though that was a good value if it was as stated, so I made the 90 mile drive each way. Spent $18 on fuel in addition to the cost of the saw. Little bugger starts and runs perfect. Has a lot more bark than the newer Poulans, Earthquakes and even my Husqvarna 455. I think I just found my new favorite little saw.:drinkingcoffee: It came with all the paperwork and even the original box. I need to get one of those orange GB bars for it, those look cool.
View attachment 414591 View attachment 414592 View attachment 414593

$118, you suck! Those look cool.

$118, you suck! Those look cool.

You didn't go for one? Got one when Bailey's was asking $130-ish. Really nice little limbing & trimming saw. Would be better yet with some fuel capacity. 7 oz. is kinda limiting. Looking for deals in pawn shops and C-List now, zogger?

A determining factor for me was how well Tanaka's engine innards are built, as opposed to stihl 170/180.

Latest posts

Back