Tanaka -- any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s219

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got a new-in-box Tanaka ECS-3351 from a relative. Not sure if I will keep it or sell it. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this brand. It looks like a small light-duty homeowner saw, 32cc, with a 14" bar (Oregon bar & chain). Date on the box is 2009.

attachment.php

s219, I had an ECS-3351 for about 4 months last summer. They use to be made in Japan but now they are made in China. Mine was hard to start and idled a little on the fast side even after adjusting the carburetor. It also had an outboard clutch that I don't like so I traded it to a neighbor for a new 5 ft. bushhog.

P.S. Just remembered they are way underpowered not even close to an Echo CS-346. On the plus side they have a 7 year warranty.

Last edited:
My uncle has had a small Tanaka that was made in Japan for quite a few years and hasn't give him any trouble at all. He also has one of their gas powered half inch drills for raising and lowering feed and water lines in his chicken houses, it has been bullet proof, he's had it prolly close to ten years. I've always read the japanese built product was of excellent build quality.

Thanks for the info guys.

This particular unit has "made in Japan" stamped on the box, so I guess at least that is good!

Everything I have seen from them has been "typical" Japanese quality. Their customer support is top notch. No matter how old, seems they still have parts for them. I have one of their 3hp outboards and I love it.

Before cordless drills took over as the drill of choice in the maple industry the Tanaka gas powered drills were the tapping machines were the best. I don't know about the saws but would think that the build quality was good.

Latest posts

Back