Tanaka chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aled Owen

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a Tanaka ECV-4501 within a fortnight, whenever this check clears.

Luckily my local dealer does Stihl, Shindaiwa, Echo, Tanaka, John Deere, Honda and a ton of other brands so I'm sure they'd be able to get hold of parts for it.

http://tanaka-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ECV-4501

I figured it'd be decent for logging and felling/limbing smaller trees, I saw a friend I used to live across the road from using one the other week, nice and lightweight!

I'll get a cutting video and my verdict when I get it, there dosen't seem to be any coverage of this saw on the forum... yet.

Could not find it on Acres, but the Tanaka website showed it. Nice looking saw
http://www.tanaka-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ECV-4501

ecv_4501.jpg

I talked to a tanaka rep at the gie expo in louisville ky when i was there they told me that they are trying to stop online sales of the tanaka brand now there is another brand that is put out by tanaka but its got a seperate name they told me that can be sold online but they want to sale the tanaka brand dealer only .

so dont be shocked if you see these online merchants that sell tanaka wholegoods online being shut down from selling them online

Last edited:
Ordered it last week but the shop only got it in yesterday, should expect it delivered tommorow.

Just realised this saw dosen't look like it has a primer bulb. Woops...

Whatever though I don't mind pulling the rope a few more times to get it fired up, otherwise the primer might just be on the side or something, we'll wait and see.

There was a dealer by me in the early 80's but he is gone now. They looked like a Red Echo to me. They are in business with Hitachi now...Bob

We are not Stihl. We are not Echo. We are Tanaka.
Learn more about what makes us different.

2009 Hitachi Koki U.S.A., Ltd.

Nice Saws

Ordered it last week but the shop only got it in yesterday, should expect it delivered tommorow.

Just realised this saw dosen't look like it has a primer bulb. Woops...

Whatever though I don't mind pulling the rope a few more times to get it fired up, otherwise the primer might just be on the side or something, we'll wait and see.
Not to worry,,
Mine starts with three to four pulls. I didn't even :blob2:miss the primer bulb.

Tanaka

Does it have a primer button?
If it isn't broke don't fix it.

No. :blob2: But they start very well without it. I can have mine running in the time it takes to fill the bulb on the saws that have them. I have a 5601 but it is almost the same as the EVC-4501.

If it starts just as fast then that's ok, I'm not really one for these clear plastic primers anyway.

Cannot wait for tommorow it's gonna be excellant, got loads of sawing to do this winter as well :D

Anyone familiar with the Tanaka ecs-3300 ?
Going to do some heavy pruning on 1,800 olive trees, need a lighter saw,
a guy is selling his.

Thanks

SA

Just picked it up, assembled it and fired it up. Pure decency, I would've made a cut with it but the chain oil's at my friends house. So we'll have to wait till tommorow I'm afraid :(

Fired 6th pull, it's minus temperatures out here and this saw dosen't have a primer.

How much did you pay for it? (if you don't mind me asking). I remember seeing someone selling Tanaka equipment at some show but it all seemed a bit pricey considering their market position.

Hope all goes well with the new saw.

£330 is the cheapest online price I found, and from a good dealer too. I was going to get it for £385 from my local Stihl/Shindaiwa/Tanaka dealer but I decided against it on the last minute, cannot remember why?

Anyway it's a brilliant saw, I just made a cut with it putting motor oil in the chain oil tank, I'll replace it with chain oil tommorow but for one cut I don't think it mattered. I was gonna get the Stihl MS 240, but I went for this based on it's weight, price (it's £200 less expensive) and what others had said about it (also I saw a friend using one and it looked the business).

Last edited:
Just picked it up, assembled it and fired it up. Pure decency, I would've made a cut with it but the chain oil's at my friends house. So we'll have to wait till tommorow I'm afraid :(

Fired 6th pull, it's minus temperatures out here and this saw dosen't have a primer.
Not bad with completey dry carb. & lines, Now that it is primed. Three pulls or less should do the trick.
Just one. without the choke, for the rest of the day.

Yep it's good, I fired it up an hour after I first used it to do some cutting and it fired up first time.

Anyone familiar with the Tanaka ecs-3300 ?
Going to do some heavy pruning on 1,800 olive trees, need a lighter saw,
a guy is selling his.

Thanks

SA

I have one in that series. Great light little saw. Easy to start, nice balance for arborist pruning work. :clap:

My wife thinks it's her saw. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Back