Tecomeck FL 136 chain vise use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willowrun23

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have had one of these several years and this has always been set to 0 cause I don't know what to use it for. The directions don't mention it, but I have read that a number of people say it doesn't really make much difference, and I see some models don't have a vice adjustment. Most of what I sharpen are semi-chisel-round chisel and low profile chains. From what I have read around the detents are 10 degrees, and I would imageine you would tilt it in to the wheel. Thanks for any info. on this:confused:

Welcome to A.S.!

I assume that you are talking about this (shown on an Oregon grinder):

attachment.php

On some chains (mostly 'full chisel' - with the sharp, pointy corner), manufacturers recommend filing at a 10 degree angle. When grinding, you would tilt the vise toward (figure 20) you for the Right side cutters, and away (figure 19) from you for Left side cutters.

An Oregon engineer recently affirmed on this site that doing this makes a significant difference in measured chain performance, assuming all of the other angles, etc. are correct. A number of guys here on A.S. have stated that the difference isn't significant enough in their cutting to make the changes, and as you note, some grinders do not include this tilt feature.

Philbert

Last edited:
FL 136 tilt vise

Thanks a bunch that would explain it fully, I never get full chisel chain in this area.

Latest posts

Back