Tell me the truth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Reaction score
I have a newer sc602 stumper and the other day the clutch springs came apart. So new clutch and pressure plate are now installed by me and they work proper. After installing the clutch the auto sweep does not function moves real slow side to side. I had jobs to do so took the auto fuse out and got them done but am wondering what might be wrong with the auto function? I found with the fuse out it is very fast at stumps but don't want to run it that way if a simple fix can get the function working proper again. Anyone experience this and know whats up?

The engine has to be at full RPM for the auto sweep to work properly. Did you move the throttle cable when you put the new clutch in? The engine speed has to be full throttle for the Auto sweep to work like it is suppose to.

The engine has to be at full RPM for the auto sweep to work properly. Did you move the throttle cable when you put the new clutch in? The engine speed has to be full throttle for the Auto sweep to work like it is suppose to.

I know that, yes it is at wot and I can't understand why the clutch going out affected the auto sweep. It was working fine when the clutch went out. I did adjust the clutch but don't think that would effect sweep operation?

There is a plug on the opposite side from where you operate from that has a wire coming from it, that is what controls the auto sweep. It may have gone bad. You may have to take it to the dealer for help. I have a 502A which is the same except you have a turbo and I had to replace that part on mine. I forgot what they call it. Seems like it was around $70.00-$80.00 Wish I could help more.

There is a plug on the opposite side from where you operate from that has a wire coming from it, that is what controls the auto sweep. It may have gone bad. You may have to take it to the dealer for help. I have a 502A which is the same except you have a turbo and I had to replace that part on mine. I forgot what they call it. Seems like it was around $70.00-$80.00 Wish I could help more.

Figures 80.00$ 350.00 clutch seems they get just out of warranty too:laugh: I will prolly just feather the controls:monkey:

Rope is there an rpm sensor that maybe isn't close enough to the crankshaft to pick up? I'm just guessing here but it seems side sweep speed would be tied to engine rpm.

Makes sense, it would be in the bell housing? That could explain why it all happened at the same time!

It might be a magnetic pickup that needs to a specific distance from a magnet on the crank or some part that rotates at crank shaft speed.

I'm just guessing here so don't go tearing things apart!

Lmao I think your right there is such a devise I saw but really man, I am going to tear it down tomorrow and see if I can fix it:cheers: I think I can just screw it out from the bell housing to either see what the problem is or replace the sensor. I saw it when doing the clutch and you just confirmed the possible cause.

How many hours did you get out of the original clutch ? I have a SC505 which would break the fingers in the pressure plate somewhere between 20 and 200 hours like clock work. I finally took it to a clutch builder and had the flywheel drilled to accept a upgraded clutch and pressure plate. 400 hours now and have not even had to adjust it.

How many hours did you get out of the original clutch ? I have a SC505 which would break the fingers in the pressure plate somewhere between 20 and 200 hours like clock work. I finally took it to a clutch builder and had the flywheel drilled to accept a upgraded clutch and pressure plate. 400 hours now and have not even had to adjust it.

207 and I was thinking along those lines next time the spring pack exploded on mine and a 502 I used to work at a company. Seems the clutch is the weak link on these machines.

Latest posts

Back