Tell us about your weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its been warm here again. Inversion. Mid 50's today, light rain in the north Oregon Cascades. Crappy to non-existent snow year on Mt Hood and in many other ski resorts in OR and WA state. Mild winter here with only one cold spell into the upper teens. I got a few inches of snow back in November, but that was it.

Heck, my daffodils are popping up and my plum trees are starting to bloom! Spring has sprung!

Now there is supposed to be upward of 7 inches of rain here through Monday. So far every flood prediction (three or four now) has not turned out to happen here this rainy season though. We shall see... I get 80+ inches of wet here a year so I am not worried. Things were pretty dry here until today and rivers were back to running lower than normal. No snowpack to melt and really flood things out.

Our normal overnight low temp this time of year averages -2F. For several weeks the overnight lows have been 20-30F. One night was 15, but that was the coldest in about a month. Really strange. Highs have been in the mid 40s to low 50s for weeks. I've never seen anything like it.

We have not had the smiting here so far. We've only had a half inch of rain in 24ish hours. No wind, just warm temps.

We do have a "Special Weather Statement" in effect because I guess there is no official landslide warning. It is raining at the ski hill and they are open but promoting "Get Rad In Wet Weather Gear". Not going there.

Our normal overnight low temp this time of year averages -2F. For several weeks the overnight lows have been 20-30F. One night was 15, but that was the coldest in about a month. Really strange. Highs have been in the mid 40s to low 50s for weeks. I've never seen anything like it.
We're pretty much the same way, the lows we are reaching are equal to our usual highs for this time of year. It's not unusual to get a week of nice weather, but we have had very little "winter" weather. I've heard a couple of meteorological type guys hint at it, they are saying winter weather may already be over for the west. I think I may till the garden and plant my peas next week. My wife has a greenhouse full of stuff already.

The Sierras have been warm and dry this winter and that's not a good thing. January was the warmest on record and a new record was set for lack of rainfall for the month.
The winter snow pack is also at an all time low. I thought it was low last year. This year there's even less snow.
There was a drought declared last year, water allotments to farmers were cut back, and there was voluntary water rationing for homeowners. Some of the cities in the valley outlawed yard watering and car washing.
This year will be worse according to the weather people.. If there are no major storms...and a big series of them...in February and March it's going to be very dry this summer.
We're in the midst of moving from the Sierras to the coast. I think we're leaving at a good time.

Our winter got started early then took a break for a month and its been back on since new years. Pretty typical year here although kind of short on snow.

Come take some of our snow we've got some to spare. Been warm the past two days, in the 20s. Previously we were subzero at night and around 0-12*F during the day.

Winter storm warning until 0100 Tuesday. 10-24 inches expected, winds 15 mph expected gusts to 40. I'm never going to be able to get back out of Boston. 28, wind chill 17. I was supposed to fly out to Seattle tomorrow, probably not going to happen.

Back