Tell us about your weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toasty 16 F out right now, 3 days of no school this past week and over 36" of snow since Tuesday with more coming this week. Banks are getting pretty high.

SAM_2347.JPG Here on the CT shoreline the temp is balmy at 18 degrees, then to keep things interesting lets add in some nasty winds. We have been spoiled as the weather had been warmer than average with no plowable snow either until the last couple of weeks.

My view on this cold day:

What are Oregon troll permits going for now? Forty foot and under? I've been watching Dock Street Brokers and PermitMaster but I haven't seen much.

California troll permits are all over the board but some of the shorter permits have been going pretty cheap.

I'm not even thinking about a California crab permit. The guys with small pot limits have been leasing their permits to the bigger boats and the price is jacked up accordingly.

It's a crap shoot that swings wild sometimes. A broad safe range is usually between 6000 and 10,000 up to as high as 20+ for some reason. Much cheaper if you know an older salt that can't get out anymore and wants to be able to play now and then. Know anyone selling gurdies, cheap? We're looking for a pair of 2 or 3 spool, don't need the valves or anything, just the spools and mounting frames. Gonna convert them to hand crankers. Any comm squid guys down there? That market is just barely starting to show around here, nothing I would have ever thought about.

Paper for 400 pot crab can go for up to half a million. All the shorties are the same, leased out or just going enough to keep the landing counts. Over the counter bay crab permits though. That's a tough, tight game to play, if your looking at money in crab. It's almost a better deal to buy a boat with permits then sell the boat later, for either salmon or crab.

If you need a boat and have some time, there's a good looking metal V bottom dory in San Diego. Some time and a few bucks that would be a fishing machine. Heck you could almost scrap it and get your money back. If it was closer I know where it would be living out the rest of it's days. A great boat when the surf's up to high to beach launch.

Oh, yea, No sun today but a pleasant day. Warm enough and no dark glasses needed. Just right.

Owl

-45F where I was yesterday recovering a wrecked car for one of my son's friends. F' that... I headed south as quick as I could back home where it was a balmy -10F.

North east pa here and it's 17 deg . And we are looking forward to to 6-12 inches of snow tm through Monday .
Just plowed out a driveway out in the sticks for the 5th time in 3 days and . Some genius decided to put a row of pine trees on the bottom of a huge field for privacy . The driveway is on the inside . All the snow drifts down the field and stops on the driveway .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I miss snow drifts... We don't get the right conditions for good drifts out here, up high in the mountains sure, but down in the valleys, there's just too many trees and the snow is usually to wet.

hovering around 35 ish, and overcast, supposed to rain all week. Feels like it might snow though.

Enough said
cd0ccf0b85d18a5bab5f4c47b3e6becc.jpg

It's bad when not only does it take you ten minutes to start your diesel pickup, but then your 4x4 F350 won't go anywhere because of the snow drifts blocking my access roads. That's been last few weeks in Boston.

On the plus side, it's above freezing and raining now. But the snow and cold should come back soon.

breeze is picking up, expecting full gale by morning.

We're in the Sierras this week so we're missing the coastal deluge but they're calling for heavy rain here tomorrow and the rest of the week.
They need it over here. It's February and the pine needles are crunching underfoot. That ain't good.

Back