Temp in 20's and "cold front" coming!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy_Bob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
It's in the 20's here and I just looked at the weather report. It say's a "cold front" is on the way and will be here this weekend...

Seems to me the cold front is already here!

As I've said before......... keep it out there !

Its supposed to be lows 50s and sunny here today ! I'm OK with it if we don't have alot of snow for Christmas. :greenchainsaw:

currently windy and 29 here in northwestern Pa.
time to fire up the beast !:clap:

You guys up north crack me up.You talk about 20 degree weather as if its chilly.We have a cold front coming down from the north today, supposed to get down to 25 or so and the locals are in a panic.I spent all yesterday delivering wood and walmart is jamb packed with folks trying to find space heaters.
I wonder what the heck these folks did back when we hit a record low of minus 15?
I grew up in the north, and accustom to cold weather,sure makes me laugh when I see folks around here bundled up because its 40 degrees out.

More Clothes

I am cold natured myself. When colder weather sets in I dress for the occasion . The guys I drink coffee with at McDonalds kid me about wearing a jacket when it is 60 degrees. "What are you gonna do when it really gets cold"?

My reply is put on more clothes. and --- " I don't know how I am gonna die but I'm almost certain it ain't gonna be from freezing to death". hah

Nosmo

8 above right now, supposed to make it to 12. Then -10ish for the next few nights. More wood!!

You guys up north crack me up.You talk about 20 degree weather as if its chilly.We have a cold front coming down from the north today, supposed to get down to 25 or so and the locals are in a panic.I spent all yesterday delivering wood and walmart is jamb packed with folks trying to find space heaters.
I wonder what the heck these folks did back when we hit a record low of minus 15?
I grew up in the north, and accustom to cold weather,sure makes me laugh when I see folks around here bundled up because its 40 degrees out.

I find it funny that if you guys get a inch of snow the whole state shuts down and everyone panics.

Although some of those roads through the mountains might get a little scarry if they become covered in ice.

I find it funny that if you guys get a inch of snow the whole state shuts down and everyone panics.

Although some of those roads through the mountains might get a little scarry if they become covered in ice.

It isn't the depth of the snow, it is the water content of the snow. We live in a wet, fairly mild climate here in the PNW (wet side of the Cascade Range)
Our snow is not the nice dry fluffy stuff, it has the consistancy of concrete.
Try skiing our ungroomed Cascade Concrete Powder and you'll understand. Add that gloppy snow to a bunch of immigrants (lots from S. Collyfonia) who moved here for "the mountain scenery" and it is a recipe for car wrecks.

All the cars with all wheel drive seem to have compounded the problem. I once putted by wreck after wreck of 4 wheel drive vehicles, in my little 2 wheel drive pickup. All had passed me previously, and then wereup in the ditch. And OH MY, THE WIND HAS NOW PICKED UP AND i BETTER GO BATTEN THINGS DOWN.

20° is a heatwave

Try doing anything outside when its 20°below zero . Now thats a cold front. Then with a 20+ mph wind. Good times:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

Try doing anything outside when its 20°below zero . Now thats a cold front. Then with a 20+ mph wind. Good times:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

I have. Worked at a ski area when with everything calculated, it "felt" like -80. Every part of the body was covered with something. I loaded people on the chairlift. We wouldn't let people go up to the tippy top without facemasks. We set a record that year for the most days in the one digits or minus. It was miserable.

Our power is flickering. We're having east winds right now.

We got our first visible snow overnight, not even an inch, way overdue. So far a balmy winter. I actually would like colder temps because it is just about impossible to avoid overheating the house in this weather. We need a fire but even the smallest fire sends the temps to 75 or more, way too warm for my taste. Working outside is pretty comfortable though.

The AWD Subaru is considered the Vermont state car, just about. I have never driven anything better in snow. Slowp - your Oregon experience ain't the vehicle's problem. It's the drivers.

I just looked at the USA Today temperatures for the north and it says: Burrrrrr...

To me nice winter weather is if I can get in the car and go somewhere. (As opposed to spending 15 minutes defrosting so I can see where I am going.)

What is really fun this time of year is to travel through the Salt Lake City Utah airport. People will have connecting flights there and might be traveling from L.A. California to say Arizona or Florida. And they might have on just a light wind breaker or whatever. And there is a LONG outside walk to the planes at Salt Lake City airport. And temps in the teens sometimes.

One time there was such a couple and our plane was all the way out to the last spot on the outside ramp. They were shivering by the time we got to the plane. And of course people for L.A. are not used to the cold. Then they announced the plane had mechanical trouble and we had to go all the way back into the terminal while they switched planes. Then they did that and we had to go all the way back out. That poor couple just about had icicles by then!

I'm from the wet side of WA near Mt. Rainier and I like the cold. I like it down into the teens but this storm we are now having is low 20s and blowing non-stop. The wind and cold is no fun. I end up staying inside.

I just started wearing a jacket to work...or at least bringing one. It was 11 degrees out this morning and I didn't wear a jacket. I made a couple of trips out to the truck this weekend barefoot in the snow to grab some things...

It was -7 here last night. . . Finally warmed up to +7. Supposed to be colder yet, tonight and Wednesday.

I'm burning through the wood like no tomorrow! No frozen pipes yet! Wahoo!

I laugh at the mid west lived there 3 years2000-2002 (Greenfield and Brownsburg Indiana) never seen so many snow wrecks and the roads are flat straight and the snow is dry. Indiana is the flattest state in the country period, the biggest hills around are freeway over passes other than a couple little hills in Brown county and along the Ohio river by Cinccy. Out here a few valley roads are flat and straight. A favorite saying from midwest transplants. "Im used to driving in 5 feet of snow all winter long" 1st day of snow they dont show up for work. "I couldnt get up the hill":laugh:
Like slowp said our moisture content is close to 35% moisture content typical east of cascades across the country is around 15%.

Back