Tensioner Screw on Poulan 2300 CVA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aharris

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Mornin, I FOUND a Poulan saw in an elderly neighbors garage and I got it running for him. I also went and got a new chain for it at the local hardware store. The guy counted the links on the old one which was shot and just about tight enough with the tensioner maxed out but not quite. He gave me a new chain, Oregon S58 I believe. It is not tight enough either.

Is it possible he gave me the wrong chain? Not sure what else to try. I am not using the specific tensioner bolt. It was missing so I got a bolt at the hardware store and put that through the tensioner piece that goes into the bar. From what I can tell it should be an adequate fix. The bar moves all the way to each of the positions for both loosening and tightening. In the extended position, it's still not enough????

Thanks guys!

You'd need to get the numbers off the side of the bar to know for sure. If it's a 16" bar, then the Oregon site calls for an S56.
Thanks, I just checked the bar. It shows :44247 BV, 16 91. I saw on the site you are correct, S56. I just want to make sure there are no other factors I need to take into account so that the teeth match up with the gears, etc.

You're good, that 16 91 tells you that it's a 16" Low Profile bar. You just need an S56 or 91PX056 (non big-box name).
Thanks again. My suspicion is that the chain that was on it was the wrong chain, and by bringing that to the hardware store, I was given the wrong chain back!

Latest posts

Back