Testing A Raisman Platt Crankshaft In An MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meanwhile on my end of the shop........ :D

This may seem like a lot of work to test a AM crank.......but hell how else will we know if this brand is good or not?

More tomorrow.

What temp are you shooting for with the heat gun? I may try that.... my misses doesn't love when I use the oven.

Ain't got a clue......he was milling with it, but that's no sweat normally.

Ive talked to a few timber fallers,a few of them have had the same broken crank problem same spot,i think doug fir and low rakers does it,too grabby and snap

And Jon,you do very nice work, would you like a 084 to work on ?

Last edited:
What temp are you shooting for with the heat gun? I may try that.... my misses doesn't love when I use the oven.

Hot enough? :laugh:

You sorta just get to the point after doing a few that you know when it's ready.

Jon can split a bottom end and have it cleaned and back together in an hour or so.

Did you notice that he has a junk oil pump for a stop?

Ive talked to a few timber fallers,a few of them have had the same broken crank problem same spot,i think doug fir and low rakers does it,too grabby and snap

And Jon,you do very nice work, would you like a 084 to work on ?

It looks weird here.....

I don't think the cylinder cover has ever been off this saw,am i seeing things or will a 461 coil bolt to that hole below the coil ?

IMG_0454_zpscc1979ec.jpg

Is it just my imagination, or does the dark in the center indicate the crack has been developing for sometime, and finally last held and broke around the perimeter?

IMG_0454_zpscc1979ec.jpg

Is it just my imagination, or does the dark in the center indicate the crack has been developing for sometime, and finally last held and broke around the perimeter?

Now I'm not trained in failure analysis, nor am I an engineer, just a mug mechanic but it looks like the crack has propagated from around the 2:00 o'clock position from a stress raiser of some sort.

Now it could start as Rudi suggested, or the lead or start of the thread (threads are notorious for this, particularly cut threads if the tool is a little blunt) or just some sort of notch, and grown from there.

Latest posts

Back