Testing A Raisman Platt Crankshaft In An MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe something to do with the sudden stopping of the chain? Rakers to grabby? Pinching a bar? Chain being tighter so its not apt to throw a chain as often while making a horizontal cut?

Firewood cutters tend to use the saw for bucking, are they having the same issues?

Maybe something to do with the sudden stopping of the chain? Rakers to grabby? Pinching a bar? Chain being tighter so its not apt to throw a chain as often while making a horizontal cut?

Firewood cutters tend to use the saw for bucking, are they having the same issues?

before the one on this saw broke ,i was milling some wet fir about 24 inch wide with reg square chain with semi low rakers ,it was giving me a pretty good jerky cut in couple of the passes ,its not an alaska ,its on tracks aka ladder rail system ,so if it starts getting grabby in a cut the powerhead bucks around some till you back out of it ,i think the grabyness in the cut may have made it fail ,ripping chains a lot smoother but slower but get a bandsaw type finish ,iv'e been using a 460 and no problems yet View attachment 297730

Did a search for "metal fatigue" and came across this. Looks like the break on the shaft.

fig1.png

Google Image Result for http://materials.open.ac.uk/mem/images/images_fat/fig1.png

IMG_0454_zpscc1979ec.jpg

before the one on this saw broke ,i was milling some wet fir about 24 inch wide with reg square chain with semi low rakers ,it was giving me a pretty good jerky cut in couple of the passes ,its not an alaska ,its on tracks aka ladder rail system ,so if it starts getting grabby in a cut the powerhead bucks around some till you back out of it ,i think the grabyness in the cut may have made it fail ,ripping chains a lot smoother but slower but get a bandsaw type finish ,iv'e been using a 460 and no problems yet View attachment 297730

Since this is a milling saw, I'm doing a little different approach on the port work for this saw. All beans........no taters. :msp_wink:

A few curious questions.
Where does he live, Is the saw left out side, how old is the saw and how lean was it ran mix wise and tune.
Im pretty sure Im seeing rust on the crank.
Harmonics and corrosion are evil.

A few curious questions.
Where does he live, Is the saw left out side, how old is the saw and how lean was it ran mix wise and tune.
Im pretty sure Im seeing rust on the crank.
Harmonics and corrosion are evil.

pacific northwest washington ,saw is 3 years old roughly but low hours hasn't been used for milling till 5 months ago ,id say have used 10 gallons gas milling with it ,maybe that much more cutting with it since new ,its heavy so i grab an 044 most of the time ,don't leave outside ,it does rain here so it gets wet ,the rust in the muffler is probly from when i sprayed purple cleaner on before i shipped it it, then hosed it off ,some water must have got in the muffler ,mix i used to run stihl ultra 50 to 1 ,the last 6 months or so i switched belray h1r 32 to 1 ,i have pulled the plug doesn't look too lean ,randy may be able to verify the plug that came out of it

pacific northwest washington ,saw is 3 years old roughly but low hours hasn't been used for milling till 5 months ago ,id say have used 10 gallons gas milling with it ,maybe that much more cutting with it since new ,its heavy so i grab an 044 most of the time ,don't leave outside ,it does rain here so it gets wet ,the rust in the muffler is probly from when i sprayed purple cleaner on before i shipped it it, then hosed it off ,some water must have got in the muffler ,mix i used to run stihl ultra 50 to 1 ,the last 6 months or so i switched belray h1r 32 to 1 ,i have pulled the plug doesn't look too lean ,randy may be able to verify the plug that came out of it

Ok thanks that makes sense. Id close off all entry points before cleaning next time, then throw in some mix oil in after cleaning just in case.
But Im a newb.
Cheers.

Plug says tune was perfect.

You need the 650 to compare haha

How's that thing running? It's timing numbers really intrigued me.

Ok thanks that makes sense. Id close off all entry points before cleaning next time, then throw in some mix oil in after cleaning just in case.
But Im a newb.
Cheers.

i normally run the saws after i wash them to burn out any water ,didn't want bar oil leaking in the box for ups ,i did tip it around some after nothing seemed to come out ,id say some purple cleaner got in there on the rust thing :msp_thumbup:

How's that thing running? It's timing numbers really intrigued me.[/QUOTE]

Its getting stronger, I'm not a stihl fan as you know but glad I've got this one in my arsenal

i normally run the saws after i wash them to burn out any water ,didn't want bar oil leaking in the box for ups ,i did tip it around some after nothing seemed to come out ,id say some purple cleaner got in there on the rust thing :msp_thumbup:

Fubared the drum bearing too.......

I appreciate you cleaning it up though.

Y'all should soak your mufflers in Bleach overnight and then take them out the next day and clean them. :D

Also, this thread is cool. :msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back