Thank goodness for 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCR 3 EVER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am typing by flashlight with rest of house under generator power (freezers,refriger.) since Sun 5pm. Power may not come on until Fri night because of the huge storms that hit Southeast MI on Sunday.:jawdrop: My brother had a huge Oak fall in his yard, luckily no damage to house, but it took nearly 1/2 gallon of gas for the 361 to cut most of it up. Then I could only cut through a portion of the trunk since we were unable to roll it over without manpower.
I told brother I was glad to help since it was an excuse to use the saw.:chainsaw:
Trees are down all over the place and over many houses thus hindering power crews coming from out of state.
All I can say is thank goodness for the 361 and generators!!:clap:
to many surges on generator to run computer for long so not sure when I will re-vist site this week

That's what a surge suppressor/APC is for... I have one on all my computer equipment.

Ian

Oh, and good luck with the firewood. :)

Not to start a peein match: The surge protectors won't help out on a gen-set. Most have own built in to limit over-volt. But......They don't regulate the 60 cycle's that well, so most high end appliances, pc's, furnace's, etc don't appreciate them, hense start cookin control boards and power supplies. I would only use a gen-set on my furnace, frig/freezer, lights. Then, only with a 6500 watt generator or bigger......Bruce

Not to start a peein match: The surge protectors won't help out on a gen-set. Most have own built in to limit over-volt. But......They don't regulate the 60 cycle's that well, so most high end appliances, pc's, furnace's, etc don't appreciate them, hense start cookin control boards and power supplies. I would only use a gen-set on my furnace, frig/freezer, lights. Then, only with a 6500 watt generator or bigger......Bruce

He's right My old boss tried to use a gen set to power his furnace during the ice storm last December here and fried the circuit board in the furnace.:cry:

I work in Oakland County. We are waiting for the Power crews so we can get the new phone lines back up. Tree's down everywhere just like you say. Had too take two large twisted one's off the lines today so we could set new Phone poles. The bosses saw's S@@K though. Told the crew I was bringing the 361 and the Jonny 920 tomarrow. Having fun at work..

Thank you

Good info to know:clap:

Sinewave Distortion of Brushless Generators

He's right My old boss tried to use a gen set to power his furnace during the ice storm last December here and fried the circuit board in the furnace.:cry:

Good info to know:clap:

Check out sine wave distortion of Brush less Generators http://www.gillettegenerators.com/klnpower/kpower01.html
A computer power supply is a high frequency switching power supply. It takes the 120 volt A.C. input and full wave rectifies it to about 150 volts D.C. and then chops it at a high frequency, transforms it down, rectifies and filters and regulates it. Most power supplies will tolerate a wide frequency and voltage at the input But Not fast voltage spikes like lightning or inductive surges like from large motor switching.

Power back on

Power is on:givebeer: :)
We had 105 hours without power, and the extension cords snaking throughout the house drove us crazy along with the constant noise of all the generators. Thank goodness we do NOT power the house by gas, the old pocketbook took a jolt with that.
FYI: I have surge protectors on all equipment connected to generator and surge protectors on computer gear at all times.
Tree cutter crooks ran rampant in the area, luckily our family had the saws to deal with problems ourselves. A neighbor of brother's had estimates of $3000-$10,000 for the same tree removal job .
Unfortunately, that oak that I cut up in brother's yard was rotten at base and full of ants.
I fear the worst for our property up North since storms drove right over that county and county next to it is declared National disastor area.

Power is on:givebeer: :)
We had 105 hours without power, and the extension cords snaking throughout the house drove us crazy along with the constant noise of all the generators. Thank goodness we do NOT power the house by gas, the old pocketbook took a jolt with that.

It could always be worse. All of our power here on fobs and major bases are ran by gensets by the military and contractors.The summer is starting and the gensets are braking down like crazy and the Iraqi power is 220 same with the gensets so us military have to use inverters to get 120. LP is cheap to use and it dosnt cost an arm and a leg like natural gas

It could always be worse. All of our power here on fobs and major bases are ran by gensets by the military and contractors.The summer is starting and the gensets are braking down like crazy and the Iraqi power is 220 same with the gensets so us military have to use inverters to get 120. LP is cheap to use and it dosnt cost an arm and a leg like natural gas

Lucky for us power outage was for only 1 week unlike your terrible situation. I am honored that you answered this thread.

Our family has always supported the military in some way or another. Long ago someone helped design sections of the M1A1 and first HMMV's, now a family member's company is working on versions of sensing systems for land and water situations.

Keep your head down, but shoot straight. Thank you and everyone else serving our country. :cheers:
Come home safe and thanks again!

From what i have been heaing on the news and the internet tha natural gas is goingup like a arm and a leg. Hopefully the electric company dosnt start charging outrageous prices in the summertime.:)

Thanks for the posts, RCR.
About 13 years ago we had no power for 2 and half days during December due to heavy wet snow. I had no wood insert then, only a generator which fired the furnace. It's amazing how quiet the house becomes at night when there is no power and all the generators are shut off in the neighborhood.
Glad you came out ok with no power for a week. This is why it's good to have a back up saw. If your only saw died after a storm like that, you wouldn't be able to get it repaired or buy parts.

From what i have been heaing on the news and the internet tha natural gas is goingup like a arm and a leg. Hopefully the electric company dosnt start charging outrageous prices in the summertime.:)

Unfortunately, here in Jersey the 3 companies are getting increases of 10.8, 12.3 and 17% - for what!!!! None of these companies are losing money - record profits. Oh, by the way, I work for one of them and pay the same rates as everyone else - its legalized robbery. :censored:

Unfortunately, here in Jersey the 3 companies are getting increases of 10.8, 12.3 and 17% - for what!!!! None of these companies are losing money - record profits. Oh, by the way, I work for one of them and pay the same rates as everyone else - its legalized robbery. :censored:

Yep, sure is. They are not losing money, they're just not making as much as they were or want too!:mad:

Back