Thank you GOD for kevlar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if Matterhorn will sell single boots, but I plan to send some pics, thank them for their product, and see if I can get a replacement left boot. The bummer in this episode is that I have had the boots for over two years. They don't get a ton of wear, but they were finally getting well broken in. I'm guessing it would take a few weeks of daily wear to get them back to this point.

avevemeq.jpg
A

Send this thread to Matterhorn with an offer: you'll give them a great advertising tool for the price of a replacement boot :D

There is absolutely no doubt I would have amputated my foot yesterday...and how would they have cut the remnants of my (Kevlar) boots off my foot? I'm guessing I would have gone to the OR with it on!

The foot is feeling better. I have stayed off of it, iced it, fed myself NSAIDS, and kept it propped up. I still hobble a little, but I think in a couple of days it will be good. I need to get a couple of saws out to members...just hang in there and they will come.

Neal

Yes, Matterhorn will be getting an email and a thank you.

I have seen videos of tests on composite toed boots. They do not even begin to stop the chain!!! It doesn't appear that they offer any more protection than a plain leather hunting boot!!

I spent about 2 weeks looking at chainsaw boots. I strongly considered several with the metaguards, and it was hard for me to part with the money for the Matterhorns. That was probably the best investment I have made in my 49yrs.

Murph,
Good lessons. glad you're OK. Thanks for sharing. It can happen no matter how careful.

Did the Kevlar get pulled out? Did the kevlar clog the front sprocket or the clutch? By the pics it doesn't look like much material was pulled out. Probably just the pics aren't clear. I looked up Matterhorn boots. Are your's the ones with the red on the welt? Murph

I know all the PPE is valuable but if i wore everything preached i would need a crane to lift me into a tree. I wear a helmet (when climbing),ear plugs,safety glasses but usually just sunglasses,gloves, and Wesco boots. Never owned chaps or kevlar boots so flame away:popcorn:

Ive never thought about kevlar boots (and I have taken a saw across my foot- was cuttin when the wood was wet and log rolled on me) I can vouch for the several thousand dollars at the ER, but it was a fraction of what my bill was when I had to go back to the ER with the foot infected. Doctor had ordered me to stay out of a boot and no work for 6 wks. I thought it was healing pretty good so I went back to work to soon- boot on the left, tennis shoe on the right. About a month after the cut I had a searing pain (my foot and calf was on fire). Went to a walk in clinic who told me to immediately go back to the ER. My foot up to the top of my sock was a deep purple. Those 4 hours of IVs and the second visit cost me way more than the original visit sewing my foot up. Long story short- I was worried about my family income since I am the sole provider, but I wound up costing my family thousands more unnecessarily.
I think I will look into these Matterhorn boots.

Murph,
Good lessons. glad you're OK. Thanks for sharing. It can happen no matter how careful.

Did the Kevlar get pulled out? Did the kevlar clog the front sprocket or the clutch? By the pics it doesn't look like much material was pulled out. Probably just the pics aren't clear. I looked up Matterhorn boots. Are your's the ones with the red on the welt? Murph

Yes, it pulled Kevlar, and the chainbrake engaged.

Yep, they have the red pinstripe. I have a good right boot available if anyone knows a one-legged logger that wears a 14E.

Yes, it pulled Kevlar, and the chainbrake engaged.

Yep, they have the red pinstripe. I have a good right boot available if anyone knows a one-legged logger that wears a 14E.

Well hell no wonder you cut your boot im sure a size 14 is always in the way:laugh:, so the chain would've missed my boot completely buy about 8 inches:)

I think kevlar is ok and I'm sure its saved many from injury but then I have witnessed some folks that could wear a bear suit and still get hurt. I have also seen many many people start in this industry that never learn fundamentals of tree work but they sure preach ppe. No amount of ppe can help a poor sap that falls a tree on himself or get electrocuted. I had to tell many youngsters to wear their ppe as a supervisor but I did not focus most of my attention on just ppe. I taught them how kickback is prevented, and how to recognize hazards. It was always so funny to me all the fuss over corporate safety but nothing ever gets mentioned about fatigue reaching production requirements! I'll go out on a limb here and say 50% of the corporate injuries happen from operator fatigue and poor fundamentals!

Last edited:
I think kevlar is ok and I'm sure its saved many from injury but then I have witnessed some folks that could wear a bear suit and still get hurt. I have also seen many many people start in this industry that never learn fundamentals of tree work but they sure preach ppe. No amount of ppe can help a poor sap that falls a tree on himself or get electrocuted. I had to tell many youngsters to wear their ppe as a supervisor but I did not focus most of my attention on just ppe. I taught them how kickback is prevented, and how to recognize hazards. It was always so funny to me all the fuss over corporate safety but nothing ever gets mentioned about fatigue reaching production requirements! I'll go out on a limb here and say 50% of the corporate injuries happen from operator fatigue and poor fundamentals!

Agreed!! And its always at the end of the day taking shortcuts to make the last few cuts to finish up.

I am glad you guys have succeeded in playing the numbers and never coming up sevens.

I grew up on a farm and did construction through college to pay the bills. I have worked around dangerous equipment all of my life. I thought I was pretty good at forseeing danger and avoiding harm. I now realize that even the best can get whacked. I was fortunate that I had realized the need to get some serious protection for the clod-hoppers.

I am glad you guys have succeeded in playing the numbers and never coming up sevens.

I grew up on a farm and did construction through college to pay the bills. I have worked around dangerous equipment all of my life. I thought I was pretty good at forseeing danger and avoiding harm. I now realize that even the best can get whacked. I was fortunate that I had realized the need to get some serious protection for the clod-hoppers.

Well I'm grateful you did not get hurt bro and for me the numbers of having heat stroke out weigh the chance of a laceration I know it's very possible but I do take special care. It is sorta a known vrs unknown see I know if I wear chaps in 100 plus temps I will end up in the hospital. I don't know I will ever cut my leg or foot and odds are greater for stroke for me!

I have been playing with the idea of getting my 394 ported, but now I'm not so sure that's a good idea. I don't think those boots would have stopped an 8.5+hp saw!

Shut up......you'll drive away my victims.....errrr I mean customers. :msp_sneaky:

Back