The 028 bandwagon.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, since we've got a rash of 028 threads, I thought I'd weigh in. I've had a decent looking one waiting for me in my shop for a few months but all the ink is worn off the badge, so I don't really know what model/vintage of 028 it is. Good compression, barks on a squirt of mix... probably a very easy fix and I'm eyeballing it for this year's firewood season!

Can you guys take a peek and see what you think? Serial number on the last pic.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

To save your time and energy

Why don't you just sell that old junker to me, and save yourself the headache. (I can dream can't I) Good looking 028.

I have an 028 WB. My new hobby is looking at pics of 028's trying to see if they would be a good matching parts saw, based on what I have read here.

The chain brake handle with 2 openings and the vents on top and in front of the pull start tell me that yours is newer than mine and an "Electronic Quickstop". It is not a good organ donor. I think that also means it has a 44mm bore diameter. I'm not sure exactly when this change occured or what the clues on the saw for this are. If the piston top is domed, it is a 46mm bore diameter and a Super. So at least an AVEQ. Maybe WB.

My 028 is from 1978. Almost all the cast parts are marked 78. Are there any marks on yours. It is circular, with the year in the center, 12 lines for each month, a raised dot from a punch strike to the mold used to mark each month. Is this not common?

Notes to self:

1) Pick up house before the wife gets home
2) Do a load of laundry
3) Check for domed piston
4) Have will changed, leave 028 to bobby13

it looks seriesearly

looks like a wb model. the one 028 i have is the 028 wb runns and cuts great. just have too pull the damed spark plug wire to kill her :dizzy: may fix it and sell it or keep it and use it he way she is :greenchainsaw:

Look at the clutch cover and see if it says "Made in West Germany" on the bottom.

Mine has that and is apparently one of the first models of the 028.

I suppose this is a tough one as many of the older 028s have newer parts on them.... I do note the "see through" handle, which probably means its not a very early model or the handle has been replaced, but since it DOES have the EQ equipment, that would make it a somewhat newer saw. As far as the domed piston goes, its hard to tell.. the 028 cylinder is leaned so far back that looking through the exhaust port doesn't give you a view of the top of the piston. I'll admit to hoping its a super, but with the size/type of wood I cut, it would be just fine if its not.

I don't see any "MADE IN GERMANYs" on the clutch cover anywhere and so far don't see any date stamps. When I get some time a bit later this evening I may pop a few more covers off it. Unfortunately, the workbench has too many projects on it right now to let me feel very good about tearing it down presently.

I agree looking at it, looks like a late model. Probably a W.B. 44mm or Super 46mm. Nice looking example. Work it up, you'll like it.

I bought an outrageous amount of 028 parts in a large lot of stihl parts at a sale this weekend also have some 31, 56 and 41 handles and other stuff all ages of 028 from early to late I will sell most of it PM me if I might be able to help you fix one up

Back