The 21st Century of Budget Priced Saws: Your Tips, Tricks, and Modifications

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Admittedly, I am cheap. I am finishing up getting my kids through school and have a wedding to pay for this summer. I am limited on what I can spend for a tool to cut firewood and keep the property cleaned up...... but we need to be honest about these saws and not begrudge guys who want a high performer.

It is nice to use a good tool for the job, even when a bargain tool will get it done. I cut all day today. I used my 4620 I ported and a muffler mod with an 18" bar of .325. I used my 3400 that has a muffler mod and a 20" bar of 3/8. They cut well, and they worked. I could have got the job done with them. However, I also used my buddy's 346 xp and it was a dream. Melted through big. cherry and walnut.

Most of my fun is working on the saw, trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. It keeps me occupied and within budget......but there is a difference that is too big to dismiss. A Poulan 50/20 is just not as satisfiying to run as an MS361. Would you rather use a Milwaulkee cordless or a Black and Decker. They both get the deck built.

All I own is relative crap......and I am happy with it. But when finances allow, I am going to try a pro tool for the fun and efficiency of using it......not just to brag I have one. If guys want to spend the money on a good saw, no need to dog them. It really is a relatively cheap hobby compared to others......if you can stop at one good saw.:msp_rolleyes:

Now there's an excellent post. There's no need for the pro saw users and cheap saw users to antagonize each other about what they run. The cheap stuff will get the job done, and the pro stuff is certainly better built and more enjoyable to run. But we all have our own set of circumstances, needs and budgets that untilmately determine what we buy. If a few $100 extra isn't in your budget, then don't stretch for a pro type saw.

But if it's well within reach, then maybe you should think about it. Everything in life isn't always about money saved vs money spent. Some times it's about making life a little more enjoyable for yourself. If a cheap saw is all someone can afford, then with some care and maintenance, they will be fine. But other's come into the store looking for the cheapest saw or weed wacker and they are driving a new $50,000 vehicle, and it's those folks that I think have some issues to deal with.

But I think the OP's question was about the reliability/durability of current cheap saws vs those of a few years ago. I think they require a little more attention than cheap saws from some years back. Cheap or not, they need to be emmision compliant, and that requires some technology. That technology often seems to come at the price of cheap materials. My experience in the shop is mostly limited to the Poulans, but we also see some of the newer Homelites and other oddball imported saws. This stuff is generally pretty low grade, but in decent tune and with a sharp chain, they can work OK. Once they get out of tune, they can be fussy to get sorted out. Parts are usually real cheap, if you can get them, so a carb replacement is way better for the customer than wasting shop time. Many times these saws suffer from sitting for long periods, as the folks who buy them often have only an occasional reason to own a saw. Usually just fresh fuel, and a plug and filter will get them up and running. But some people actually do rely on these things to cut some firewood and we do our best to help these folks out. Don't lose sight of the fact that most guys here on the site are very capable at keeeping these inexpensive saws going. That ability generally isn't there with Joe Consumer.

I have said it before that there is more firewood cut with "homeowner or cheap" saws that any other grade. Period!

Admittedly, I am cheap. I am finishing up getting my kids through school and have a wedding to pay for this summer. I am limited on what I can spend for a tool to cut firewood and keep the property cleaned up...... but we need to be honest about these saws and not begrudge guys who want a high performer.

It is nice to use a good tool for the job, even when a bargain tool will get it done. I cut all day today. I used my 4620 I ported and a muffler mod with an 18" bar of .325. I used my 3400 that has a muffler mod and a 20" bar of 3/8. They cut well, and they worked. I could have got the job done with them. However, I also used my buddy's 346 xp and it was a dream. Melted through big. cherry and walnut.

Most of my fun is working on the saw, trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. It keeps me occupied and within budget......but there is a difference that is too big to dismiss. A Poulan 50/20 is just not as satisfiying to run as an MS361. Would you rather use a Milwaulkee cordless or a Black and Decker. They both get the deck built.

All I own is relative crap......and I am happy with it. But when finances allow, I am going to try a pro tool for the fun and efficiency of using it......not just to brag I have one. If guys want to spend the money on a good saw, no need to dog them. It really is a relatively cheap hobby compared to others......if you can stop at one good saw.:msp_rolleyes:
I have one Milwaulkee tool, a belt sander from maybe 20years ago. It was defective from the factory - a missing thrust washer if I recall correctly - and I had to repair it before it tore itself apart. My dad got tired of the problems he was having with his saws (a defective carb in the 2775 along with poor fuel/maintenance/tuning) and bought a Stihl MS250C so he wouldn't be plagued by poor quality. It was defective too and he could not get it fixed so he gave it to me and bought a 455R. I fixed the MS250 and gave it back to him. I've had a many other tools that were very nice and I still use and others that fell apart or failed, and they had various names on the sides. My point is that there is a difference in quality of design and materials between different products, but it is not always correlated with the brand name or the price.

I haven't any doubt that a 346 is nicer than my Poulan 2775 (same as your 4620), but enough different to justify the price difference? Well that is subjective. It's not to me, because it adds nothing to the quantity or quality of the work I can do. And there is diminishing returns - if a tools is twice the price is it twice as good?

Since I already enjoy using the saws I have - more so because I have worked on and modified them to my tastes - buying a more expensive saw would only make me feel the fool for wasting my money. And I know that it's just at piece of equipment, and that in a short time it will be last year's model, worn out/damaged/dirty/etc., and the thrill will be gone and it will just be a saw. We are conditioned since birth in this country to always want more, to want the new thing the ad man is dangling in front of us. Advertising and marketing are about "creating demand", turning wants into needs, or making people think they need things that they don't. I try not to help them in their efforts.

yep,, 40.00 and running strong:D:D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7arFkVRFiP0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't like the cheaper saws because when I get the pro STIHLs I also have a saw with resale value. I also don't use my saws enough to wear them out. If all I wanted was a saw to get work done, I,d be looking for something easy to repair and not too heavy and low cost parts.

I have one Milwaulkee tool, a belt sander from maybe 20years ago. It was defective from the factory - a missing thrust washer if I recall correctly - and I had to repair it before it tore itself apart. My dad got tired of the problems he was having with his saws (a defective carb in the 2775 along with poor fuel/maintenance/tuning) and bought a Stihl MS250C so he wouldn't be plagued by poor quality. It was defective too and he could not get it fixed so he gave it to me and bought a 455R. I fixed the MS250 and gave it back to him. I've had a many other tools that were very nice and I still use and others that fell apart or failed, and they had various names on the sides. My point is that there is a difference in quality of design and materials between different products, but it is not always correlated with the brand name or the price.

I haven't any doubt that a 346 is nicer than my Poulan 2775 (same as your 4620), but enough different to justify the price difference? Well that is subjective. It's not to me, because it adds nothing to the quantity or quality of the work I can do. And there is diminishing returns - if a tools is twice the price is it twice as good?

Since I already enjoy using the saws I have - more so because I have worked on and modified them to my tastes - buying a more expensive saw would only make me feel the fool for wasting my money. And I know that it's just at piece of equipment, and that in a short time it will be last year's model, worn out/damaged/dirty/etc., and the thrill will be gone and it will just be a saw. We are conditioned since birth in this country to always want more, to want the new thing the ad man is dangling in front of us. Advertising and marketing are about "creating demand", turning wants into needs, or making people think they need things that they don't. I try not to help them in their efforts.

Agree 100%! Planned obsolescence. GM pioneered it in the 50's

Regarding "cheap" saws. I agree with most of the above posts. I'd be willing to bet most of the problems associated with these saws come from lack of maintenance, abuse, and bad gas. If a tool, any tool, is properly maintained, it should last a long time. So whether it's a $900 pro-saw, or a $99 box store beauty, if it is only used occasionally, cuts dirt, has a dirty air filter & plug, and is stored for a long time with ethanol fuel, and in general....neglected, you should not expect much out of it. Price & where it's made have little to do with it.

yep,, 40.00 and running strong:D:D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7arFkVRFiP0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If the cigarette ignites the exhaust, is that how you know its running too rich? :hmm3grin2orange:

I differ to a point. I modify my saws as well. But that does not make them a pro saw. It takes longer to cut 2 cords of wood, I am not sure they will last long term, and I make sure I am meticulous in my maintenance. I can't swing a pro saw now, but when I can, I will not call it a "waste" of money. It will be what I "want" to do. My point was, we can all do what we want. Consumer, antiques or high end.

There seems to be a tone in some of the posts that the guys who buy high end saws are foolish and or braggarts. Maybe they just enjoy using them and it is how they want to spend their money. It is fun! I enjoy the threads about consumer saws, as I have them and want to know how to make them the best they can be.......but I don't begrudge the guys who have sweet equipment. I have a Mossberg semi auto and it kills geese just fine. Do I need a Versamax or Benelli...no, but would enjoy having one....yep. Same goes for saws. Now beer, I am one cheap SOB.:cheers:
Take care.

I would find a good quality used saw rather than buy a new, cheap saw. I seem to find good deals on saws all the time, I don't think I am luckier than anyone else or have better pickings.

Thats what I do is buy most of my saws at the scrap yard and fix them up and use them. Much cheaper.

My friend, a little lightening up might be in order here. There's no need to defend your position because unless I missed it, it hasn't been attacked by anyone. But this last paragraph is a bit over the top. (And I very much enjoy reading your posts) If you were to buy a more expensive saw, it wouldn't make you a "fool"; it simply means that you have made a different choice.

Bear in mind that there are tons of pro Huskys, Jonsereds and Stihs that were purchased, (foolishly??), 30 or 40 years ago that are still running and cutting cord after cord for their owners. Hardly "last years/worn out/damaged/dirty/ etc". I doubt that todays cheap saws would have a prayer of lasting that long.

Today I cut up a 10"-12" red oak that came down in Irene last year. 22 degrees and windy out. I thoroughly enjoyed running the new 550XPG. Didn't even have gloves on. What a sweet and powerful little saw. Could I have done the same job with a $99 earthquake? Certainly. Might only have added 10 minutes to the whole project. But the job would have no doubt been done. And it would have burned no different in the stove next year either.

The point? The point is there is no right or wrong here. We all select saws that fit within our individual parameters, and as long as they all get the job done, they are all the right choice. I have cut with just about everything, and to me, the better saws are worth the extra money. I'm glad that your saws are doing everything you need them to do, as are mine. It's a really cold night up here in the Northeast and your wood is keeping you just as warm as mine or anyone else's is, regardless of what saws were used to cut it. But you might consider easing up a bit on the preaching.

What works for one doesnt work for another.Ive used alot of saws the only ones that really hold up to the daily grind for year on end for me are pro saws either husky or stihl. What works for you may be different. I have a 266 husky that i bought in the early ninties that is still used by my guys on a daily basis.

What works for one doesnt work for another.Ive used alot of saws the only ones that really hold up to the daily grind for year on end for me are pro saws either husky or stihl. What works for you may be different. I have a 266 husky that i bought in the early ninties that is still used by my guys on a daily basis.

A lot of the older Poulan's, Homelite's, McCulloch's, etc hold up good too. The trick is trying to find ones that the owners took good care of. I still use a XL-12 regularly that most would just look at and assume that it did not run. But the Husky's and Stihl's are far by what I would recommend for full time wood cutters now adays if you can't get your hands on a vintage or older piece that was taken care of.

My friend, a little lightening up might be in order here. There's no need to defend your position because unless I missed it, it hasn't been attacked by anyone. But this last paragraph is a bit over the top. (And I very much enjoy reading your posts) If you were to buy a more expensive saw, it wouldn't make you a "fool"; it simply means that you have made a different choice.

Bear in mind that there are tons of pro Huskys, Jonsereds and Stihs that were purchased, (foolishly??), 30 or 40 years ago that are still running and cutting cord after cord for their owners. Hardly "last years/worn out/damaged/dirty/ etc". I doubt that todays cheap saws would have a prayer of lasting that long.

Today I cut up a 10"-12" red oak that came down in Irene last year. 22 degrees and windy out. I thoroughly enjoyed running the new 550XPG. Didn't even have gloves on. What a sweet and powerful little saw. Could I have done the same job with a $99 earthquake? Certainly. Might only have added 10 minutes to the whole project. But the job would have no doubt been done. And it would have burned no different in the stove next year either.

The point? The point is there is no right or wrong here. We all select saws that fit within our individual parameters, and as long as they all get the job done, they are all the right choice. I have cut with just about everything, and to me, the better saws are worth the extra money. I'm glad that your saws are doing everything you need them to do, as are mine. It's a really cold night up here in the Northeast and your wood is keeping you just as warm as mine or anyone else's is, regardless of what saws were used to cut it. But you might consider easing up a bit on the preaching.
I appreciate your advice and will take it to heart. I was however saying how spending that would make me feel, not calling anyone else a fool.

I'm gonna quote myself from a different thread...

"I know what the best saw in the world is... The one you feel comfortable with and enjoy running."

I stand by this. If I hadn't had the money to get my 600P, I'd probably just keep running my 70's vintage 500VL, and would've picked up the PP5020 for a second saw. Hell, I still might, can't have too many saws, can you? :msp_wink:

If you cut every day, and have the means, by all means buy a pro saw.
If you're an occasional user, just want a backup, want a play toy, or its not in the budget, notta damn thing wrong with a budget priced saw. There are plenty of older "budget" saws out there still getting the job done every day.

... other's come into the store looking for the cheapest saw or weed wacker and they are driving a new $50,000 vehicle, and it's those folks that I think have some issues to deal with.

On the other end of the spectrum.

I went after work to pick up the 441 on the way home. The 441 got to ride in the trunk of the car.

Driving down the road, I came to the realization that if I were to be rear ended, the saw would be worth more than the car it was riding in...

Luckily, I wasn't rear ended. :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Back