The 660 is waiting in the saw box!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

056kid

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boss man bought me a new Stihl 660 after work today!!! I havent done anything more with it than carry it out of the store. So i can not wait for work tomorrow which is an oddity. can i throw a DP cover on there? should i do it now, or wait for a few tanks to carbeurize?

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW SAW. You can put the dp on right away just remember to ajust the carb properly after words. i put my dp on my new 660 today and ajusted the carb and put new limiter cap son i also put smaller spikes on. My saw dont have four tanks of fuel troughit yet

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW SAW. You can put the dp on right away just remember to ajust the carb properly after words. i put my dp on my new 660 today and ajusted the carb and put new limiter cap son i also put smaller spikes on. My saw dont have four tanks of fuel troughit yet

I put my DP cover on right away and adjusted the carb accordingly. I noticed it really picked up between 10 and 15 tanks of gas. Very good saw, I can't find anything to complain about.

I want one of these but I don't have any trees large enough to put it to real use. But I'll probably get on anyway and run a 25" bar on it.

Boss man bought me a new Stihl 660 after work today!!! I havent done anything more with it than carry it out of the store. So i can not wait for work tomorrow which is an oddity. can i throw a DP cover on there? should i do it now, or wait for a few tanks to carbeurize?

Did you get to run the 660 today? How d'ya like it?

I finished up a section this morning that was mostly red and chesnut with some maple. Some of the reds in there where monsters, 50 + inches on the stump. Not much fun and too much work with a 440/20 inch bar. I think we are running the only yarder in Virginia right now! My mexican buddy and his few day old 440 and i could dog in to 20 inch chesnut oak at the same time and while mine was letting go, he would just be starting his back cut. I also love the stihl feel but larger, fatter rear handle, bigger handle bar demsions, its just wonderfull. carrying 2 extra lbs to the top is no big deal when falling takes 1/3 the effort and 1/2 the time. It runs strong with new fullcomp .045 on the rakers on the 25 inch and im guessing that its gonna get stronger after a nother 2 gallons or so. I am gonna put an 8 pin on it tomorrow.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

im guessing that its gonna get stronger after a nother 2 gallons or so. I am gonna put an 8 pin on it tomorrow

For sure. Seem to remeber mine was rather unimpressive to begin with, but got better quickly. Have an 8 tooth for mine too, but haven't used it yet. I think I'll get to use it Monday though.

:cheers:

I finished up a section this morning that was mostly red and chesnut with some maple. Some of the reds in there where monsters, 50 + inches on the stump. Not much fun and too much work with a 440/20 inch bar. I think we are running the only yarder in Virginia right now! My mexican buddy and his few day old 440 and i could dog in to 20 inch chesnut oak at the same time and while mine was letting go, he would just be starting his back cut. I also love the stihl feel but larger, fatter rear handle, bigger handle bar demsions, its just wonderfull. carrying 2 extra lbs to the top is no big deal when falling takes 1/3 the effort and 1/2 the time. It runs strong with new fullcomp .045 on the rakers on the 25 inch and im guessing that its gonna get stronger after a nother 2 gallons or so. I am gonna put an 8 pin on it tomorrow.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
I new youd like it they have a lot of power i always run a 8 tooth sproket on my 660s . I ran 5 gallons of gas trough mine today finally got to cut all day. Did you geta dp cover yet you wont regret it if you do.:cheers:

i noticed that the exaust port in the muffler is that of my 440 plus s small slit in front of it. seems rite small for 90 ccs. An old 046 has 3 times the muffler. What are they thinking?

i noticed that the exaust port in the muffler is that of my 440 plus s small slit in front of it. seems rite small for 90 ccs. An old 046 has 3 times the muffler. What are they thinking?
Thats the epa for you . The old ones you could stick a finger through the hole.

yea mine isn't all that impressive either, but its only got around a gallon of gas run thru it. no dp yet...

My 660 is slowly but surely waking up. I'm gonna mod the muffler soon. But my modded 066 is one impressive saw. A DP is a must, or a muffler mod..........:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Is your 440 modded? 440's really wake up after a good muffler mod.:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :cheers:

I want one of these but I don't have any trees large enough to put it to real use. But I'll probably get on anyway and run a 25" bar on it.

For the first time in awhile I look at my 066 with a 36 inch as puny and way undersized.

Dead White Oak 80+ DBH.

The wood from this tree is so big that we are splitting onsite because we cannot move it. Today I was just loading up firewood so I brought the puppy with us. Good times.

fred033-1.jpg

Last edited:
my 440 has a Dp cover from an old 046, which runs (it feels like) with that 660 right now. But its like a drag ported 250r and the 660 a woods ported 310r Im hoping that the 660 will wake up and scream sooner or later. I just have to enable it to.
I ran it all day today, still being kind of easy on it.

Dp cover is fine... use it now...

What the hell is carbeurize???

Gary

Latest posts

Back