The autotune dilemma

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the main reason for my post is that I really love the autotune husky range and to see people bagging the product so much just because of the nylon filter it's really frustrating. I'm talking about some Australian facebook groups (mainly arborist). If I could get the message across to husky they might look at supplying paper filters across the board because I feel they will lose a lot of respect in Australia if something is not done about this issue.
I run felt on my autotune and have never had one hiccup

Too many to count. That saw should have died long ago. :laugh:

i don't believe you :D lets see a pic of it. it'll have to be judged by appearance. i bet it looks pretty well new still. set it down on a towel between cuts aye don :laugh:

Ok so one of the saws I work on most and service most is the autotune husqvarna saws, which I belive are really great saws if kept serviced, just like any other brand...
But there is a problem I have with one thing and that is the nylon air filters that can be supplied with the saw, you see here in Australia all our saws are supplied with felt style air filters as they are supposed to filter down finer which I can totally back that up to be true.
The point of my story is though there are many arborist that import saws from the USA as they can get them cheaper (and why not) but.... and a BIG but they run them with with the crap nylon filters that are supplied with the U.S. spec models which then suck dust to the point where the carby jets get partially blocked and the saw runs like an absolute dog, this has become such a big problem here that it's really tainting the husqvarna brand which is really sad.
What I can't get my head around is WHY does husky insist on making these nylon filters, they just are not good enough.

Can you post a picture of those partially clogged jets for us?

Later
Dan

Can you post a picture of those partially clogged jets for us?

Later
Dan
I got to be honest I never got any images at the time, but there was so much fines in the intake and carby that it was covering the fine holes where the fuel is sucked from. Thus causing the saw to do the old whaaaaaa whaaaaaaa and even stall out.
I removed the whole carby and cleaned everything down with carby clean and away it ran again as it should. I at that point orderd and fitted the felt filter.
I also removed the muffler to inspect the piston and there was some slight markings but nothing to serious.

Dave27483, I get your point as most others here. How to get a manufacturer's attention that its inattention to a specific class of users is more detrimental than the fix is beyond me until it becomes a case study in business school on what not to do.

Just for laughs below is a homemade two stage filter on a used saw I purchased; a screen wire for the bigger chips and burlap for the finer chips. I must say, however, that the airbox was cleaner than a lot of my similar saws using the OEM felt filter. Airbox must have been cleaned or the saw used in cleaner conditions and with a sharper chain than I run.

IMG_3734.JPG
IMG_3735.JPG
IMG_3736.JPG
IMG_3737.JPG

Ron

Yes I have never seen a stihl with one at all.
Tbh I don't know why they even give an option, it's quite clear the felt filters better so why compromise with anything less
Dave in most areas the mesh filter is considered a winter filter. In many areas saws are never used unless there's snow on the ground and in other places there is never a time without dusty conditions so it's a regional issue and dealers/distributers should order accordingly. Dave take one of the dusty felt filters and soak it with a fine spray of water to simulate cutting in rainy/snowy conditions then see how autotune likes it, then try cleaning it as you would in the woods. You'll see there is a place/use for mesh filters maybe not in Oz but it's a big world.Ken

Dave in most areas the mesh filter is considered a winter filter. In many areas saws are never used unless there's snow on the ground and in other places there is never a time without dusty conditions so it's a regional issue and dealers/distributers should order accordingly. Dave take one of the dusty felt filters and soak it with a fine spray of water to simulate cutting in rainy/snowy conditions then see how autotune likes it, then try cleaning it as you would in the woods. You'll see there is a place/use for mesh filters maybe not in Oz but it's a big world.Ken
There again, the above statement speaks to the importance of the operator setting up his own equipment properly, and I realize that some operators just dont know the ins and outs of saws. Dealers should be the important middle person for those who dont know.

im with you guys, theres a time and place for both filter types and i too have always understood that the mesh type filters are designed for winter use and flocked filters for dirtier, dustier, drier conditions. Its been said already but keep a sharp chain and all parts of a chainsaw will thank you, not just the filter and carb.

Yes I see your point ken. I remember flooding the airbox in my 4x4 in a river crossing years ago and that paper element filter did not want to breathe haha

Like everything else, the filter material selection is going to be a compromise. Something that removes much smaller particles is going to clog sooner and likely be more restrictive to air flow, which means it must be cleaned more often and likely needs more surface area. If the filter is bigger then that impacts on the physical design/packaging of the saw, and possibly weight. Air filtration is clearly one of the things saw designers have struggled with.

Why would they sell saws in the U.S. with the nylon filters?? It's because they are cheap, and Husqvarna doesn't get that the conditions are different here. You shouldn't have to buy a different filter, or use filter oil on a new modern saw. The filters on most Husqvarna chainsaw models are sub par. If other manufactures can make a better filter, so can Husky.

There again, the above statement speaks to the importance of the operator setting up his own equipment properly, and I realize that some operators just dont know the ins and outs of saws. Dealers should be the important middle person for those who dont know.

Exactly. At a minimum both a nylon and flocked filter should be included in the box with each saw.

Dead standing oak can get very hard and produce a lot of dust, even with sharp chain. I find that tapping the filter will not shake it off and brushing(old paint brush) just forces it further in or through the mesh. I carry a tank of compressed air and split my filters so they can be blown out from the inside out. I realize this is not convenient for some, but works for me. Most saws, pulling the carb and cleaning the dust off the top of the diaphram is no big deal for me anyway. Disclaimer: I dont own an autotune equiped saw.

Just for laughs below is a homemade two stage filter on a used saw I purchased; a screen wire for the bigger chips and burlap for the finer chips.
Ron

I once got opened a mower air box to find a piece of fiberglass matting. Yeah, it looked like a nice tight weave, but if air can't get through, neither can dirt, right? For some reason, that engine wouldn't run! :rolleyes:

Back