the baddest saw ever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the following order

Solo Super Rex

Mac 125/Stihl 090/solo rex You could possibly put the Dolmar 166 in there!

Skillsaw had a bad boy at 142 cc ran one once and was in awe but you never see them!

Alpina 120 not to far behind! Homelite 2100

Modern

880 3120

olympik 999 and Solo 603 fireball

Danarm had hot big saw but again I cannot remember the model! and another saw rarely seen these days!

attachment.php

How about 500 C.C.of torque. Sorry about the sideways view.

Last edited:
I knew the 090 and mac 125 would be in this subject but where's the homelite guys. I thought the 3120 and 880 would play big part in it too. The biggest that I have ran is the ms660, pp655, poulan s6000 and the poulans 8500,5200 and 5400. the 5400 was a very strong runner for 85cc motor. Man I miss that saw.:cheers:

Well, the distributor is in the front like the ford and buick the way the pipes are angled on the exaust looks like sb ford and the paint is ford blue I think not red like buick. But I can't find good enough picture to be sure Brad. Does anyone know for sure what it is?

1961 to 1963 Buick 215ci Aluminum V-8 like most have said.
This is what one looks like in the car.
GVanceV8_3.jpg

I quess it must have been a transplant,this was 1975. The owner had a car magazine with a write up of the little V-8 in it , maybe thats where he got the idea from. I also found this conversion on the web lately,quess this was a common thing to do with the little Opel.

Growing up my father had a 1970 Opal with that transplanted V-8. Great runner, needed alot of attention.

Strangely, he sold it shortly before I turned 16...

And my vote for the baddasstest factory saw of all time is,,,,Solo 690.
Whats that?

4 pages and nobody said 125+101? Come on guys if you don't have one, you don't have CAD!

Later,

Last edited:
I will vote for the SP125 only because I have a couple. They are a lot of fun to run but alas, not much wood around here really needs that much saw.

When you do however, there is nothing better than a big saw.

attachment.php

My "twins"

attachment.php

Proud papa with the big ones

attachment.php

My fellas next to Bill G's piped 125

attachment.php

Making cookies fly

Anyone is free to disagree with the McCulloch, but we have to get together and take turns with both saws just to make sure.

Mark

:popcorn: I'm going to venture out on limb here, of all the saws (modern-ish) I've used so far it would be the Husky 2100CD. They seem to be held in high reguard around here and after using one, I can understand. And it makes a great conversation piece at the dealers. But for vintage saws, the only one I've seen used is a Homelite Zip. Although I would like to see some of those 2-man saws or any of the other legendary saws in use someday. Just my 2 cents.

Europa

One was opened to 4.4 liters (268 CI) and stuffed into a Lotus Europa(1500 lb car).

In my not-so-smart youth I drove a '70 Europa that had the Renault engine replaced by a Formula Ford engine. It allegedly had one of two bell housings in the world. The muffler was a tin can with a pipe welded to each end. One night I actually got it up to 135 MPH on the Interstate, until sensibilities set in and I remembered the front end was Triumph Spitfire and the tires were 155SR-13's! :dizzy: That same car showed up on eBlay just two weeks ago as a parts car about 20 miles from where I live now. I didn't buy it back...
I sold that car to buy a brand new Europa in '75 that had the Ford twin-cam.
It was so low I couldn't drive over a beer can without bottoming out! :) Needless to say it sucked in the snow...

A friend of a friend (an engineer for SAAB US) built a Sunbeam Tiger out of an Alpina by yanking the 4-cylinder out and inserting the Buick 215. He had to put softer springs in the front end because he SAVED 80 lbs over the cast iron 4-banger! :hmm3grin2orange:

Whats that?

4 pages and nobody said 125+101? Come on guys if you don't have one, you don't have CAD!

Later,
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/12519c81d615725788256b5e001d5496?OpenDocument
They based off the old Solo 680 and they ran through the 1990's. They are the same size as a 694 but the 694 is a complete dog compared to it. Without a doubt, the fastest stock saw I have ever seen. Even though only 90cc's, they will hang in the top with the big boys. Parts are kind of a problem though.

Last edited:
yes 680-690-603 were great saws! Especially if you got one with the west coast kit and the factory dual port muffler! Mean Mean suckers!:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back