The Best Grass on AS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbonaut

Go Climb It
Reaction score
Turfgrass management is the epitome of gardening. Bonsai Trees and Fruit production are up there, but if you can put up a good stand of sod, you have arrived.

Mine is coming in about 60% of what it will do in three weeks. Not bad for a hack, though.

POSITIVE BENEFITS OF TURFGRASS
James B. Beard
Texas A and M University, College Station, TX

Statesman Thomas Jefferson wrote that "communities should be planned with an eye to the effect
made upon the human spirit by being continually surrounded by a maximum of beauty." A turfgrass
has numerous, important functional purposes, as well as being attractive. These important dimensions
that contribute to our quality-of-life are too often overlooked.
TURFGRASS FUNCTIONAL BENEFITS
Soil erosion control and dust stabilization - vital soil resource protection.
Turfgrasses serve as an inexpensive, durable ground cover as well as in protecting our valuable,
non-renewable soil resources. Perennial turfgrasses offer one of the most cost efficient methods
to control wind and water erosion of soil, which is very important in eliminating dust and mud
problems around homes, factories, schools and businesses.
Reduces runoff from precipitation and contributes to flood control.
The dense plant canopy of mowed turfgrasses is very effective in the entrapment of water and
airborne particulate materials, as well as in absorbing gaseous pollutants. The high degree of
water runoff that occurs from impervious surfaces in urban areas carries many pollutants in the
runoff. Turfgrasses offer one of the best known systems for catchment of the runoff water plus
the pollutants, especially if proper landscape designs are used.
Enhances ground water recharge.
One of the key mechanisms by which turfgrasses control soil erosion is through a superior
capability to essentially absorb or trap and hold runoff water. A healthy turfed lawn absorbs
rainfall six times more effectively than a wheat field, and four times better than a hay field; being
exceeded in this important function only by a virgin forest. This attribute is certainly important
in enhancing ground water recharge.

ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
4. Functions in entrapment and biodegradation of organic chemicals; plus conversion of carbon
dioxide emissions.
The extensive fibrous root system of turfgrasses contributes substantially to soil improvement
through organic matter additions derived from atmospheric carbon dioxide via photosynthesis.
In this process, a diverse large population of soil micro-flora and -fauna are supported. These
same organisms offer one of the most active biological systems for the degradation of trapped
organic chemicals and pesticides. Thus, this turf-ecosystem is important in the protection of
ground water quality.
5. Enhances heat dissipation - temperature moderation.
The overall temperature of urban areas may be as much as 10-12°F warmer than nearby rural
areas. Turfgrasses, through the cooling process of evapotranspiration, serve an important
function in dissipating the high levels of heat generated in urban areas. For example, a football
field has the cooling capacity of a 70 ton air conditioner. The cooling effect of irrigated turfs and
landscapes can result in energy savings via reducing the energy input and allied costs required
for the mechanical cooling of interiors of adjacent homes and buildings.
6. Reduces noise abatement, glare reduction, and visual pollution problems.
The rough surface characteristics of turfgrass function in noise abatement as well as in multi-
directional light reflection that reduces glare. A grass area of 70 feet distance on a roadside can
abate obtrusive vehicle noises by 40%. Thus, turfs lower the hardness of unwanted noise and
lessen the visual stress of glare.
7. Decreases noxious pests and allergy-related pollen.
Regularly mowed residential lawns reduce problems of nuisance pests such as snakes, rodents,
mosquitoes, and chiggers; plus allergy-related pollens produced by many weedy species. As small
animals seek haven in taller grass at locations more distant from the house, they also are less
likely to invade the house.
8. Provides safety in vehicle operation/equipment longevity.
Roadside turfgrasses are important in highway safety, as well as erosion control, in that they
function as a stabilized zone for emergency stoppage of vehicles. Turfgrasses also are utilized for
soil and dust stabilization around airfield runways in order to prolong the operating life of
engines, while smaller airstrips utilize turfgrasses as the runway surface itself.
Lowers the fire hazard and provides security for vital installations.
9. The spacing provided by green lawns serves as a firebreak and as a high visibility zone that
discourages unwanted intruders.
10. Contributes substantially to the national economy.
From a monetary standpoint, the turfgrass industry contributes in excess of $30 billion annually
to the United States' economy. Quality turfs also are of economic importance in that they
contribute to increased property values and commercial appeal.

I used to go to great strides to have a nice looking lawn. But since my local braintrust insists on jumping my taxes every year I could care less what it looks like.:censored:

Here is a little info on one of the two Kentucky Bluegrass cultivars I use in my lawn.

Rugby II Kentucky Bluegrass originated from a plant selection from a 1930’s cemetery in Washington State. The original plant had spread to a diameter of 20-30 feet across, growing in a low maintenance cemetery in an arid environment. When found, the spot was dark green, shiny and dense, in spite of growing between a huge shade tree and a well traveled driveway. Rugby II scored among the top 14 entries in a recent NTEP Kentucky bluegrass trial under medium-high maintenance. It ranked in the top 10 in Indiana, Illinois, Washington state, Missouri, Rhode Island and Alberta, Canada.

Once it was discovered, Rugby was cloned in a lab. You read it right, 20-30 feet across the ground one plant. Now KGB goes dormant in the dry hot summers we get here, but the dang stuff is awesome for a cool season grass type selection and it is quite drought tolerant. Bluegrass looks cool in the fall when the rains come back.

Just Because...

There is a Robin in the background of this one. Spring Time.

Trying to get some high resolution shots, I'll be stressing the importance of a sharp blade soon. You can read it in your cut.

My horses and beef love nice grass,I hate the stuff in my yard,in the pasture its great.I always cut it as low as I can and the browner the better. The only moisture it gets besides rain is an occasional leak I or the dog puts on it.The only fertilizer I use is old gasoline and motor oil,and the crap still grows. I actually hate to cut grass,it is not soothing or a pleasant task to me,others say they love to cut grass.I do my best to kill it so that I can go longer between cuts.I am not putting anyone down that likes grass,I just hate to waste the time on cutting it.I do not rake leaves,leaves serve a good purpose they kill grass.I like leaves.

I often thought how nice it would have been to put down astro turf.I cut the grass yesterday for the first time this year.All I could think of is I only have about 25 more times to do this,this year.Then comes my friends the leaves.

My horses and beef love nice grass,I hate the stuff in my yard,in the pasture its great.I always cut it as low as I can and the browner the better. The only moisture it gets besides rain is an occasional leak I or the dog puts on it.The only fertilizer I use is old gasoline and motor oil,and the crap still grows. I actually hate to cut grass,it is not soothing or a pleasant task to me,others say they love to cut grass.I do my best to kill it so that I can go longer between cuts.I am not putting anyone down that likes grass,I just hate to waste the time on cutting it.I do not rake leaves,leaves serve a good purpose they kill grass.I like leaves.

I often thought how nice it would have been to put down astro turf.I cut the grass yesterday for the first time this year.All I could think of is I only have about 25 more times to do this,this year.Then comes my friends the leaves.

That's fine, Dave. You finally killed my indomitable spirit. I'm done trying to encourage anyone to try to do some thing well. I was too optimistic. Now you done drove me in the dirt. I'm done.

That's fine, Dave. You finally killed my indomitable spirit. I'm done trying to encourage anyone to try to do some thing well. I was too optimistic. Now you done drove me in the dirt. I'm done.

It is true I hate to cut grass,it takes up time I could be hunting mushrooms or just about anything else.But don't take it too bad,I really do not dump used gas and motor oil on it,that was just a joke.But I do like leaves.

I don't have much grass in my yard, its mostly weeds. I don't fertilize, water ect. If I do that means I'd have to mow it..... I hate mowing

I'd rather spend my few hours each evening home with my kids and tending to the cows and chickens in my barn and my garden.

Non-native lawns are the epitome of overwatering, overfertilizing, and European-influenced unsustainability that is practiced out of ignorance and fear of Nature and her native plant communities. I've never understood why one wants to toil behind a push mower or rumble along on a riding mower for a few hours a week, every week, all summer long just to have a whole lot of... nothing. Although, toxic green carpet might describe it best. And turfgrass doesn't hold a candle in catching stormwater runoff, nor does it provide wildlife habitat, if any. They're also full of invasive species that don't belong in North America, although some may have become naturalized in some northeastern areas.

"U.S. lawn maintenance annually consumes about 800 million gallons of gasoline, $5.2 billion of fossil-fuel derived fertilizers, and $700 million in pesticides. Up to two thirds of the drinking water consumed in municipalities goes to watering lawns." The American lawn is the epitome of unsustainability, "covering an estimated 32 million acres of the United States, making it the largest irrigated crop in the country."
Sources: Lawn of Native Grasses Beats Traditional Lawn For Lushness, Weed Resistance, Researchers Say | News
A Brief History of Lawn

I, for one, wouldn't be caught dead citing any source from Texas a&m :laugh: especially when it says turfgrass is inexpensive :monkey:

There's better uses for spaces that are currently covered in lawns. Native grasses are one of them.

But, if I was into the whole green lawn mentality that is an unnatural American obsession thing, I'd say that's a good looker.

A part of the American Dream is owning and maintaining property. If your goal is to kill the grass in your own lawn, and to let the leaves from your trees blow around instead of making compost, like Wampum stated he does, you can. If you want a prairie, go ahead. I prefer the slick sanitary approach. I can back up the benefits of Turfgrass no problem. I can provide links, resources and experience. The first thing you will notice when you reach the helm of any craft is that it brings out the worst in people who are opposed to what you value. Beautify your lawn, and someone will come out of the woodwork with either an agenda to outright destroy your project, or to at least discredit you and your motives. Nothing new there. I've been honing the Turfgrass cultivation since 1976 and have not lost any momentum in the wake of resistance to the program. It just keeps gettin' greener and more proliferous.

I value all yun's opinions and your right to voice them. However, I'm more inclined to discuss ways to enhance the turf with like-minded folk. There are also guys that can nail it down better than me. That would be interesting to find occasionally. If ya got a nice yard, please post up some pics. If you got a yard like Forestry Works, Wampum or Del_ let's have a look.

Non-native lawns are the epitome of overwatering, overfertilizing, and European-influenced unsustainability that is practiced out of ignorance and fear of Nature and her native plant communities. I've never understood why one wants to toil behind a push mower or rumble along on a riding mower for a few hours a week, every week, all summer long just to have a whole lot of... nothing. Although, toxic green carpet might describe it best. And turfgrass doesn't hold a candle in catching stormwater runoff, nor does it provide wildlife habitat, if any. They're also full of invasive species that don't belong in North America, although some may have become naturalized in some northeastern areas.

"U.S. lawn maintenance annually consumes about 800 million gallons of gasoline, $5.2 billion of fossil-fuel derived fertilizers, and $700 million in pesticides. Up to two thirds of the drinking water consumed in municipalities goes to watering lawns." The American lawn is the epitome of unsustainability, "covering an estimated 32 million acres of the United States, making it the largest irrigated crop in the country."
Sources: Lawn of Native Grasses Beats Traditional Lawn For Lushness, Weed Resistance, Researchers Say | News
A Brief History of Lawn

I, for one, wouldn't be caught dead citing any source from Texas a&m :laugh: especially when it says turfgrass is inexpensive :monkey:

There's better uses for spaces that are currently covered in lawns. Native grasses are one of them.

Well said.

And turfgrass doesn't hold a candle in catching stormwater runoff, nor does it provide wildlife habitat, if any. ."[/B]

Well said.

You are right. What Forestry Works stated was well said. It was also hastily concieved, and partially false. I can attack it point by point, Bob. I think you know that. Yun's can go "hold a candle in catching stormwater runoff". It would go out. I'm not here to be combative. And it wouldn't be appropriate for an innocuous thread promoting green lawns to end up in the political forum, would it? If you want to stop an even larger industry, attack cosmetics.

You are right. What Forestry Works stated was well said. It was also hastily concieved, and partially false. I can attack it point by point, Bob. I think you know that. Yun's can go "hold a candle in catching stormwater runoff". It would go out. I'm not here to be combative. And it wouldn't be appropriate for an innocuous thread promoting green lawns to end up in the political forum, would it? If you want to stop an even larger industry, attack cosmetics.

You're not here to be combative but my post is "hastily conceived and partially false?" :laugh: That's almost good enough to quote all of it!

I'm not here to stop any industry. Everyone has a right to participate in asinine and mundane concepts such as obsessive lawn maintenance. It's a lot easier to work with Nature than against.

But whatever, basic ecology is too much for some to handle.

Latest posts

Back