The Best Grass on AS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The same thing you burn anything with, fire :laugh: Which comes from a process called combustion via a fuel and air mixture from a wonderful and simple invention called a drip torch.

640px-Drip_torch_firing.jpg

I left cause I had 10 acres of the K Bluegrass to burn. And speaking of your precious grass, those weak roots (photo below - numbers are in feet and your grass is the first on the left) couldn't compete in a true sod - the kind found in tallgrass prairies. Deep rooted perennial prairie plants create healthier soil biota, as well as growing tall above ground biomass which can intercept and store and filter more precipitation before it runs off - up to 53 tons per acre during one 1" per hour precipitation event - which is the main way in which we get clean water from overland flow.

prairie-root-systems_large.jpg

A Kentucky Bluegrass lawn's (and any other short turfgrass) interception rate doesn't come anywhere remotely in the ballpark of that figure - most water applied to lawns runs right off because people apply too much at once. And the vegetation is too short. Consequently, all those chemicals from fertilizers and herbicides, as well as your dog's and cat's fecal bacteria get carried with the water and into municipal stormwater drains. And eventually into that glass you fill up. Oh and it plays a big role in why the Gulf of Mexico has such a huge dead zone.

To simplify: More prairie = cleaner water. More lawns and farms = low-oxygen water. I can live just fine without corn and turfgrass.

mississippi_basin_dead_zone.gif

It's not about being an "environmental whacko", it's just common sense to not use a mundane lawn. But like I said, basic ecology and knowledge of one's natural heritage is sadly lost among most people. Not my fault you're insecure about that.

There's also the issue of soil carbon and water. Water quality always follows soil carbon levels. Turfgrass provides almost no soil carbon when compared to prairies. Grasslands as a whole store almost 1/3 of the world's carbon in the root systems - and that carbon is not lost during burning. It is lost, however, when prairies are plowed and converted to row crops and tame grazing pastures and lawns.

Oh, before I forget, if you've seen one square inch of non-native lawn, you've seen them all. If you've seen one square foot of prairie, you've got hundreds of billions more to see - and it changes every season!

Back to burning tomorrow!
shewwwwwww!!! good post!!! if the ground cover,,in forests,,was let to burn off every year,,we wouldn't have major forest fires..but then,,what would all the leftist twits have to cry about?????

the yard looks good, man, but you really have to concentrate on the weeds and stuff growing around them shrubs.

now, if some one can tell me how to permanently get rid of creeping charlie / veronica i'd be grateful.

it has round jagged leaves and produces a purple flower thing and grows via a root-vine.
Use weed b gone 2 applications 2 weeks apart in spring and a application in fall mid september. I owned a lawn care business for 18 years. I used different products, same ingredients just stronger.

My horses and beef love nice grass,I hate the stuff in my yard,in the pasture its great.I always cut it as low as I can and the browner the better. The only moisture it gets besides rain is an occasional leak I or the dog puts on it.The only fertilizer I use is old gasoline and motor oil,and the crap still grows. I actually hate to cut grass,it is not soothing or a pleasant task to me,others say they love to cut grass.I do my best to kill it so that I can go longer between cuts.I am not putting anyone down that likes grass,I just hate to waste the time on cutting it.I do not rake leaves,leaves serve a good purpose they kill grass.I like leaves.

I often thought how nice it would have been to put down astro turf.I cut the grass yesterday for the first time this year.All I could think of is I only have about 25 more times to do this,this year.Then comes my friends the leaves.
Im with wampum as long as its not dirt im ok. Yellow grass is nice looking. We have a 5,000 + dollar mower and u still have to drive it! Not an enjoyable sport. I like my kids and hunting fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using my nose

Latest posts

Back