The best way to make kindling from 1" diameter branches is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Reaction score
Am leaving small mountains of 'slash' behind, of what is actually pretty good potential kindling if only there was a reasonably efficient way of tuning it into kindling. Small cordless chainsaw to clean up the branches then mow throw bundles of them?

Am leaving small mountains of 'slash' behind, of what is actually pretty good potential kindling if only there was a reasonably efficient way of tuning it into kindling. Small cordless chainsaw to clean up the branches then mow throw bundles of them?

Aren't 1 inch branches already kindling? :confused:

Ted

I think he's saying the processing part, cutting it up.

If I use that stuff for kindling, I mostly use a machete to cut it up.

Past couple years I can get all the slab wood I want for free though and I just end up splitting that into kindling.

How I do it is, I bind up the branches as tightly as possible with a ratchet strap. You make need two straps depending on the length. After the branches are bound you cut the the branches into the size you want. It is important that with each cut you check/tighten the ratchet. Good luck, Islero :msp_smile:

Big loppers. After using pruner to remove small stuff. One moderately casual stroke with loppers, and nothing flying off.

kindling

If I have to split wood at home with the splitter. I split on the concrete driveway, And save all the bits that fall off and use a leaf rake and put it somewhere it can dry if required. Then bag it in a large jute bag and put it in the shed. I use a bucket load to start my woodburner. there is bits of bark small bits of wood, Its all good and too good to waste. once its dry it is real good stuff

This is what I did for small stuff. I do like the hatchet and stump idea though.

1223111455_800x600.jpg

1223111456_800x600-1.jpg

1223111458_800x600.jpg

I use loopers if i want to cut small one inch stuff into kindling..

Thanks for the suggestions. That PTO blocker looks almost great, if there was more control over the size and diverting twigs away from the bags. There's more than enough small stuff to justify such a machine. May not have the $, but have the wood.

buy that $600 DR saw, make a 1000 fires worth of kindling, then give us a review :)

I'd rather bolt a circular saw/skill saw upside down on a piece if plywood and mount it off the side of a wheely bin than pay $600 for that DR saw. Tell you what, you pay half of that 6 hundy and my freight costs to New Zealand, and I'll be sure to write a review. Most Kiwi's are far from brown-nosers, so you can be sure if it walks and talks like a duck, we'll tell you it's a duck in no uncertain terms.

I could easily see myself running my arm over the saw chain instead of the log.:bang:

only once. :blob2:

check out the other vids before he put the safety on the brake handle.

there's another guy (from spain) on yt that had the same thing up a year beforehand but i lost the links to his vids.

Back