The Chinese saws are here, and they are becoming popular

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here in Ireland, the costs of saws are ridiculous. It has a lot to do with being an Island of only 5.5 million or so + silly tariffs and taxes + dealers selling in very low volume. A pro saw here goes for nearly half again what it does stateside at todays exchange rate. When the Euro is strong, it starts to push closer to twice the costs.

However, the largest ports in Europe are in England. The Chinese can land saws there, with full EU certs, for next to nothing. After that, it is a quick jump into Ireland with no further tariffs or taxes.

They go by several brand names like AMA and Zomax. But because they have to pass EU regs, they are actually close copies of their Husky and Echo equivalents. I haven't seen a Stihl copy yet. I was in my local shop today in Tipperary when I saw this sitting on a shelf:

5e4104dc3562e078be328a3e9fc2614fc493f2d6068ce5aeac69b852d83307f9.jpg

The phone doesn't take great pics, but you get the idea here. It's a copy of an Husqvarna model 61. And it does a fairly good job of it aside from the orange peel paint job. The plastics feel fairly robust, and the chassis is likely aluminum since it felt sort of heavy ish. The controls were plenty chincy, tho. The B&C's are Oregon, and appeared to me to be OEM stuff.

It sells for about half the cost of a Husqvarna 365 X Torq. They have a lot of them out in the field in ranch and farmer's hands, and sold more than two dozen last year during the storms. I am told the controls fail on occasion, but the rest of the saw tends to be sound. I wonder if they had to pay Husqvarna royalties to get the EU certs and imports...

Anywho, ya'll discuss.

Most of what I see advertised seem to be copies of Zenoah designs, so it's interesting that these are not.

The high cost of the name brand stuff is leaving them vulnerable. In the US, the combination of emissions laws, plus the excellent US made Poulan stuff at really low prices makes it very tough for the Chinese to get in. They've tried with the Earthquake saws that met emissions, but they were not priced low compared to Poulan and were at a performance disadvantage due to the crude emissions approach.

Most of the Zomax and AMA saws I am seeing are old Zenoah designs, at least 2 are an Echo 400 or 450 design, and then this one was news to me. This was the first Husqvarna design with a metal chassis I have seen. I was surprised by the execution. It seemed better made than most of the home owner stuff I have seen from Husqvarna/Poulan in the same cost bracket. I am thinking also because the niche is so wide in the UK and Ireland that the Chinese can step up a touch and enter the market at a slightly higher price point than the US.

Made by Newtop,

CAFRTOP_62CC_MOTOSIERRA_EASY_STARTED.jpg

The STIHL copy is Powerhaus which is in the European market.

Here is video of Stihl performing some side by side safety tests of the Powerhaus:

That absurd video has been around for a while. The saw being tested is a direct copy of a RedMax G5000, not a Stihl, which has a two piece alloy case but a plastic handle/tank assembly. They test it against an MS440.

What is the price, weight and displacement difference between these two saws?

How would a Stihl that is similar in weight and displacement fair in these tests?

What would happen to an operator during a situation where such forces were applied to the saw?

Finally, how much more cost and weight would you be willing to accept in order to pass these tests?

i have been seeing a few "gray-market" china made saws poping up on flea-bay for some time. they have been going for under $200 mostly and appear to be slow sellers.

one thing i wonder about is why do they copy such old designs? i might spring for a husly 77 if they copied that--but why not a 440 or a 372XP?

i recently build a MS440 with mostly china parts. it is not fully broke in yet but so far it is a strong runner and dependable. don't know how long it will hold up-- i suppose we shall see.

i am now building a 372XP "clone" --just for giggles , i think i can get ALL the parts for it from china -- this could be interesting.

so far i haven't found many bad parts -- some of the parts on the 440 looked very good for the $$.

if i was living where i couldn't buy a decent saw -- i think i might try to build one , it can be done even with china made parts--

i have been seeing a few "gray-market" china made saws poping up on flea-bay for some time. they have been going for under $200 mostly and appear to be slow sellers.

one thing i wonder about is why do they copy such old designs? i might spring for a husly 77 if they copied that--but why not a 440 or a 372XP?

i recently build a MS440 with mostly china parts. it is not fully broke in yet but so far it is a strong runner and dependable. don't know how long it will hold up-- i suppose we shall see.

i am now building a 372XP "clone" --just for giggles , i think i can get ALL the parts for it from china -- this could be interesting.

so far i haven't found many bad parts -- some of the parts on the 440 looked very good for the $$.

if i was living where i couldn't buy a decent saw -- i think i might try to build one , it can be done even with china made parts--

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...e-case-of-the-fake-husky.165646/#post-2790499

Fake chainsaws with fake certification. It's not much of a stretch. Those selling the saws make a huge mark-up. Buy the saw for 25-30 euro and sell for 200. Italy has the biggest port for these illegal saws, and they are often sold out of the back of someones car. I know in Germany they have the right to seize and destroy the non-compliant saws.

https://www.iosh.co.uk/Membership/O...-Group/Group-news/Fake-Products-reminder.aspx

i have a personal ban on slave labor produced Chinese products .
They're not slave labor.
Most of the people who work in these factories for $5.00 a day or whatever they make are coming in from the countryside where they are dirt poor making the same money in a month rather than a day.
There was a time America was like that too, we managed to overcome it, so will the Chinese.
It's a big pool, plenty of room for everyone in my opinion (business wise that is)
And I really don't give a fck if they eventually make a product as good as or better than Stihl ... cuz I'll buy it if they do.
After the war, Japan had the same status the Chinese do now, everything they made was junk.
Now the best stuff in the world is made in Japan to a large degree.

Back