The climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reed

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I cried just as Patti did when she hit the ground again. It's a survivor thing.

God bless you Tom and everyone else that took part. Coming from a religious skeptic, that's a tribute.

Reed

Reed,

You are not the only one who's eyes were leaking a little. I thought it was really wonderful that a person who could bearly get around on the ground could climb so high. It also brought back great memories when they where married under a tree. My wife and I where married under a live oak down on the river. I just wish I would have had time to dead wood it before the wedding.

BTW, care to share your story?

But Tim, the old oak that naturally showed it's effected growth, deadwood and all, might be more indicative of the trials and tribulations we endure thru-out our unions. We were also matrimonied underneath a giant oak's protective splendor, and recall a small limb failure during the ceremony as a squirrel protested the gathering under his domain. I had to chuckle, of course the women (in laws) had to find fault with it later. He he.

This last couple weeks have tested our humanity - you lost a friend, we all lost a colleague. There's been a few more, and we feel those as well. A test of our human spirit, if we felt nothing there's no hope in humanity. I'm truely sorry for the pain, but again, we endure...we have to.

Just the realization that someone's attained something otherwise impossible. When she hit the ground (although I was watching a T.V. way after the fact) I was there with her, could indentify the feeling, a true gift that she inadventantly gave me (us). Those tears I cherish, there were tears of joy, not sorrow.

Ten years ago they told me I had a year max, less more than likely. Lymphoma and bad. Long story, but the bone marrow trial I enrolled in after failed chemo, I was expected to be the first mortality and I accepted that, thinking at least one thing of my life might benefit others. Out of the 50 enrolled, I am the only survivor. Two major tests on mortality since - 70mph head-on, no seatbelt. Abduction, beating, and gunshot, no first aid for days.

Each and every time, Like the resolve Patty's shown, I've come back but with a little extra something each time. I saw and felt that in her as the cameras showed the hug her husband gave her when she hit the ground. We saw the true human spirit and it's not something we experience everyday. That's why I am so moved by the show, by her, and by all the ones who were part of it. It was muchmore than a simple gathering in the woods, much more than simple respect and awe for a giant tree - it was something humans have in each of us but are often too busy or sidetracked to witness, experience, or even understand.

The show, short as it was, made my day.

I got to set up the ropes for Patty's climb. That meant a double ascent of the tree. Aw, shucks :D In the morning I was on the ground when Patty came down and I was standing right behind the photographer. Too cool!!! Any of the hassles that we had on the trip were nothing compared to the joy of being part of the climb for Patty. For the rest of us, it was another tree, even though it was tall;)

Tom

Kudos to you Tom.

It was a rare monumental moment, thank you. We need those often, expecially as of late.

I woke up early on Sunday morning to watch the show and was amazed to hear that it took Patty over one full hour to hoist herself up into that tree using her arms. I wish I had that kind of stamina. Definately a good segment.

In other news, Tom does CODIT now apply to you as well as trees? I remember you saying something about how you bleed sap. But I could be mistaken.

In the other post he was careful to correct the misquote.

"I don't bleed. I drip sap," said Dunlap. "It's just natural for me to be up in a tree with old friends and making new friends."

Trees don't bleed. People bleed. Trees have sap flows which ends up dripping. :)

Nickrosis

Xander,

Yup, Nick is into semantics. In fact, he is so erudite that he has gotten the sublime subtlety that I intend with my line.

Trees so envelop my life that I have almost become a tree. Two years ago when I had the bursa removed from my left knee, I had a hard time not saying "sealed" when I really meant that my knee would be "healed." It took me about three weeks to not choke on sea...heal...healed.

Tom the Sap

EMS was contacted today when my Forest Protection teacher dropped the "h" bomb. My heart went into arrest, but the paramedics were able to shock me back. I had a much needed talk with my dad yesterday....discussing my problems with sounding arrogant (as if you haven't already noticed :rolleyes:), my anal sense of semantics, and a freedom of speech restriction imposed on my recently.

He helped put into perspective for me that outside of academia, there isn't nearly the concern for using the proper word. As long as you get the idea across, that's what matters. Obviously I disagree, but I needed to hear that. In the meantime now and perfection (a period slightly exceeding infinity :p), I will try even harder to use phrases like "in my opinion" and "I think" and other modifiers. Often I'll say "this is this" when I'm truly thinking, "it looks like this is related to this." It's easier to type fewer words, so I too frequently skip over those phrases. Forgive me, please.

I got a phone call and e-mails and frigid response posts, and after reading over some of the things I've said, I probably deserved it. If someone was looking inside my brain, they would have seen that I realize I have a lot of shortcomings, but I don't always like to admit them. Being that I'm a young hothead male!

Be careful climbing in all the snow! I wiped about 8" off my Jeep....

Nickrosis

Nick,
What ever you do don't change for us. We like you the way you are and if you change we may not like the man you become.

However, your verbosity or should I say your prolixity can cause those of us that are inarticulate to become vexed. I believe that it is tacitly understood that if we re too haughty in our use of the venacular that we will end up with a site that is taciturn. I am not beset by your enerarable use of idioms. I enjoy reading your suppositional retorts. I am in no way attempting to suppurate this topic.

This is just a simple tree cutters opinion.

Nick, Thank you for expressing your chagrin over a perceived lack of humility but please don't chastise yourself excessively. You generally come across as a smart young man with a sense of humor-not a smart-alec(aka wise donkey). Your contributions to this site are substantial. :cool:

Latest posts

Back